REPLACING RUBBER TRACKS

Forum for discussion relating to the M2/M3 and M16 US Half Track
Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

REPLACING RUBBER TRACKS

Post by Peter Silcock »

Recently had to replace the rubber tracks on one side of the halftrack. I replaced everything as before but after running I find that the track will not centre in the idler wheel and rubs on the ally. Neil the original builder had the tracks pefectly centred so that even the paint did not rub off. I have repeated the process several times but cant get this aspect right and am gutted to spoil a mint model. i cant see that wear is an issue but neither can I see what allows the track to run centrally in the idler. Has anyone had the same problem and come up with a solution?

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Re: REPLACING RUBBER TRACKS

Post by Armortek »

Hello Peter

On the US half track model, the roller chain runs in the central groove of the idler wheel. There is no provision to make it run dead centre, and it is quite normal for the pins to rub the face of the idler groove. I'm fairly sure the same is true of the full size vehicle.

Regards
Mark
Armortek

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: REPLACING RUBBER TRACKS

Post by Peter Silcock »

Thankyou Mark for the information. I am in the process of contacting Neil to establish how he managed to get the tracks to run precisely centrally without even damaging the paint let alone the ally idler wheel! Must have a magic touch.