winch

Forum for discussion relating to the M2/M3 and M16 US Half Track
Yves Maurice

winch

Post by Yves Maurice »

Hello gentlemen!
Back to the forum!..
I' ve just starting my halftrack kit M3 and need help if everyone have an idea about how fix a metal cable on the winch? ( Without soldering if possible) There is 2 screws for stop the drum but nothing else !..
I' ve hand made the hook and will post picture as soon as I can...
You can add me on a world map for the halftrack if needed.... :D
Thank you!!
Yves

Volker Pfisterer

Post by Volker Pfisterer »

Hello Yves

I have a drawing from a TM , it shows a U shakle for the cable.

Greetings to France

Volker

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

Hi Volker!!
Thank you for your answer ...However I'm not sure I can make that on the armortek model!I will try and see it very intersting....
I see you live in black forrest and I 've spend last year some days in for hollidays...How lucky you are it is a so beautiful country!!!I plan to go another time as soon as I can !!.. :wink:
Yves

Volker Pfisterer

Hello Yves

I have the same work to do on my winch , i will try it like in the picture from the TM .
When it works may be i can help with your winch..

May be an easier way is to drill a hole through the smaler dia. of the winch
and secure the cable there with a screw.

Nice to hear you liked your hollidays at the Black Forest, where have you been exactly?

Volker

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

Hello Volker!
Yes your second idea seem to be less authentic but a more easy way to do!...I really wonder why Mark have not put the U shape like the real winch or something to put the cable....
I was at Schluchsee ( just visit the little town and take a break in a coffee shop) ; we were also walking around the lake and see an old time train ...This is a very nice place and it looks like a postal card!! I really enjoy that and , as I say, without doubts going another time but rest here for more days!!! Perhaps you live here?.. :P
We also visit the zepplin museum and this was impressive!!!I like this kind of museum and have books on the subject..( to big to build one at 1/6 scale!!! :roll: )
I will contact you if you wants next time we will going to Germany and it will be very nice to meet and you can advise me some place to have a rest ...
Thank you again for the help!!
Yves

Volker Pfisterer

Hello Yves

I tried to make my winch, i have a milling machine , so it is easier for me.

I live in the north of Black Forest , the south is more beautyful , there
are more lakes like the Schluchsee and more mountained ,and less industry
than here.
Of course i think here it iss also beautyful :D

I know some people living in the south , if you have questions about the south or north feel free to ask .
Please contact me if you come on holidays , no matter where, may be
we can meet us.

Volker

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

Hello Volker!!
First of all congratulations about your winch!!It's a 1st class one!!! Frankly it is the best I 've ever seen!!! Unfortunately I cannot make that because I haven't got a milling machine... :(
Thanks for your reply about the black forrest , I will contact you when we 'll plan to go, it is kind of you...
:D
Yves

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

I forgot...Can I have your Email if possible Volker?..
Thanks
Yves

Volker Pfisterer

thank you :D

you have PM

Volker

Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 737 times

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Volker, that's a great looking winch, I am not sure what the kit one looked like, but yours looks real, well done

Hi Yves, its good to see you posting on the forum again, what have you been up to
regards
Jeff

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

Hello!..
Thanks for your mail Volker...
Jeff it is good to hear from you again... As you see I 'm now on my haftrack...I will buid an M3 A1 and I 'm on the chassis and starting to test electronics ; I' ve made the winch's hook by hand ( not so bad) and will put electronics for driving tests as soon as Gill send me some missing items... :)
I will post some pictures on my gallery with progress on my work...
Yves

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Volker, great looking winch! Thanks for the details on how to attach the cable. I hope to have an M3 kit someday. This information will be useful.

Keep posting pix of your builds guys. I love seeing the US half track projects progressing.
Bob

Volker Pfisterer

Thanx Jeff,Bob and David

David , i have seen your frame..... if your winch iss like that , it woul be
1000 times better than mine , i am sure.

Yves , do you have a picture from the hook?
I am looking for a flexible cable for the winch , some one have a idea?

Volker

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

Hello !!...
I ve tried to post some pictures here but failed....If someone can tell me know how to do...
Robert, I will post pictures of my work as soon as I know how to do from photobucket....
Volker, I 've send you a picture of my hook by mail...
Also my problem with the smoke unit is solved after burning 5 fuses inside the fuse box!!
That ' s why I want to share this to other so you wont make the same mistake: on the heating element, the little white plastic at the base was sliding a little away when I ' ve put it inside the filler tube and this was burning each time one fuse!!!So pay attention to this little detail when you put this element inside the smoke box!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Yves

Yves Maurice

Post by Yves Maurice »

Ho yes Volker, the best for the cable is to go on a bicycle shop ( you probably have big sports supermarkets like in France) and find easy the bike break cable here ( Only predetermined meters) ...The other solution is to come to your hardware shop and ask for metallic cables , they have some differents diameters and you find here a cable to whatever meters you want!!. :lol:
Yves