Any one else having Torsion bar slipage or do I just run my kit too hard?

Forum for discussion relating to the Leopard 2a4
JesseGuthritsch
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 25 times

Any one else having Torsion bar slipage or do I just run my kit too hard?

Post by JesseGuthritsch »

Hey buddies,

It's been a while since I had time to play/dive my Leopard kit around but with the 4th of July coming here in the states, I got my kit ready for the neighborhood kids to paly with. I only gave them 12v battery (out of 48v max) to drive with for saftey reason so they couldn't have driven it too hard but for the 3rd time I had only 1 side of the sussy fail due to the stationary end of the torsion bar slipping under the 2x m6 bolts.

The first time it happened I assumed it was my fault as I was kinda super ginger about how I torqued the fasteners down at first, as I was building the kit without the instructions and I had to undo a few (lol, more than a few) bolts along the initial fitting of the major parts. But after the last re-fixing of my left drive sides tracks, I was pretty damn sure they wouldn't slip again but they did.

I'm thinking of grinding in flats for the m6 screws on the stationary steel cylinder.

So is this just a problem I'm having? Everything else on the tank has held up great, although I have not put on the delicate looking parts yet... oh and I have lost about a dozen rubber pads but that seems like normal wear and tear to me for the 2-3 hours of total drive time on the terran I have been driving it on.

JesseGuthritsch

Re: Any one else having Torsion bar slipage or do I just run my kit too hard?

I forgot to post a Pic of the tanks current state after the 4th of July and the neighborhood kids battle testing of my leopard... But now the wife says it can't come inside until it doesn't smell of sulfur
Attachments
20240704_214514.jpg

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 604 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hey guy,

maybe your tank is a little worn out over all....? :twisted:
kind regards
Gerhard

Sam Hough
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Sam Hough »

I was just about to post a picture of my tank to ask if anyone else is having fun with a non-immaculate/detailed tank. Looks like at least two of us.

Cheers

Sam

JesseGuthritsch

I plan on adding all the delicate parts after I had a little fun first.

I wanna pictures of your kit with a little battle damage!

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 752 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

"I'm thinking of grinding in flats for the m6 screws on the stationary steel cylinder" - if the torsion bars don't have flats then add them. Also Loctite (thread lock) the holding screws.
Bob

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1341 times
Been liked: 1538 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

JesseGuthritsch wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:15 am
I'm thinking of grinding in flats for the m6 screws on the stationary steel cylinder.
As far as I'm aware, the main idea behind using the "fixed ends" for the torsion bars was so that they could be loosened off and rotated if the torsion bars ever needed adjusting due to age or use. If you grind flats in them now, you'll need to regrind them in future if you ever want to adjust the suspension.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module