Bergepanther "A" build log.

Forum for discussion relating to the Bergepanther
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 7003 times

Re: Bergepanther "A" build log.

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Bob, that guy was driving that Panther like he had stolen it, I doubt that engine and transmission is original, or stock for that matter.
I may offer the smoker for sale but I would need to modify each smoke box so would need the customers unit sent to me, or offer the whole package, let's see what response i get when it's out and about driving in period video. I love the RND trials, I have also to add a tick over fan before her first outing, that just smooths out the effect transition . Those 16:1 gearbox units should help keep the revs up and the speed down for more realistic period driving look. I do so hate the speedy AFV drivers, it can make our hobby look pants at times, each to there own I suppose :roll:
Attachments
Interesting photo, note the winch alignment.
Interesting photo, note the winch alignment.
2hwelcl.jpg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 7838 times
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

A couple of hours work with the Berge on this beautiful Sunday morning then i'm having a rest day, I did a bit to much in the gym of Friday.
Attachments
Convoy light in place. The spade locking shackles bolted on and are fully functional.
Convoy light in place. The spade locking shackles bolted on and are fully functional.
I have bolted all the crane components in there stowage positions, Now Im happy with the look I will replace the m3 screws with tee bars which can be finger tightened, then you don't need to find a wrench when in the field.
I have bolted all the crane components in there stowage positions, Now Im happy with the look I will replace the m3 screws with tee bars which can be finger tightened, then you don't need to find a wrench when in the field.
DSC_1544.JPG
DSC_1545 (2).JPG
DSC_1546 (2).JPG
DSC_1547.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

First outing with the Bergepanther A, motor/gearbox proving, winch proving and the high pressure smoker proving trials, all performed very well indeed.

I just love these 16/1 ratio gearbox units, she has amazing torque, a more realistic top speed, the revs pick up just like the 1/1 and for a towing vehicle which will need to pull massive loads on a regular basis absolutely no issues with the esc's and the drive train. I also stood on the Tiger1 tracks and surfed with a total towed weight with tremendous friction of 80kgs plus!
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical engineer.

Steen Vøler
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 496 times

Post by Steen Vøler »

Hi Phil

would have loved to watch the video with you surfing the hills :-) listening til Beach Boys :D
cheers
Steen

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Steen, I did video the surfing but I sure do look a twit lol
Mechanical engineer.

Christian Steinhauer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Christian Steinhauer »

Very nice builds.
Maybe it is from interest for the Bergepanther-builders, there ist a nice technical thread belonging to it
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missing ... 17122.html
Have fun building, Kind regards
Christian

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Many thanks Christian and thanks for the link regards Phil
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Those lovely Tow bars from Fabrice.
Attachments
DSC_1626.JPG
DSC_1627.JPG
DSC_1625.JPG
DSC_1628.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I have now started work on the Bergepanther once more. I am also building another Famo for a customer but that is not to be made public ( customers choice) .
Attachments
Because the Panther A deck needs to be fixed permanently to the hull, due to the interlocking weld details, I need to be able to remove the rear deck for access to the electrics, smoke etc,
Because the Panther A deck needs to be fixed permanently to the hull, due to the interlocking weld details, I need to be able to remove the rear deck for access to the electrics, smoke etc,
So I have cut part of the engine deck support away, you can now lift the deck without removing the winch roller assembly.
So I have cut part of the engine deck support away, you can now lift the deck without removing the winch roller assembly.
Nice and neat and you would never know. the winch house walls now support the deck.
Nice and neat and you would never know. the winch house walls now support the deck.
I have had to reposition the recovery towing arms from the old "A" position to the "G" deck position for easy access to the engine hatch and main switches.
I have had to reposition the recovery towing arms from the old "A" position to the "G" deck position for easy access to the engine hatch and main switches.
DSC_2091.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Making and fitting the tool and kit lockers along with the vehicles batteries and battery tray, all hidden under the winch house floor.
Attachments
DSC_2092.JPG
DSC_2093.JPG
DSC_2094.JPG
DSC_2096.JPG
DSC_2098.JPG
DSC_2097.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Dave Backway
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Dave Backway »

Hi Phil,

Following a number of your builds and impressed with the engine bays and details you add.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your accessories from, i.e. tools, shackles etc.

Regards

Dave

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I don't mind you asking at all Dave, the shackles are just hardware store items, different sizes for different jobs. The little box of hand tools is 1/12 scale (well they are listed with 1/12th scale tools but seem more like 1/6th to me) dolls house accessories from China of all places, everything else is made or taken from 1/6th scale figure accessories, the latter can be expensive for what they are. Any specialized tools like gas welding sets, fuel cans, stuff like that you can get from Armorpax
I have just put together and painted Dave's gas welding set so will include photos of that with the Bergepanther very soon.

Regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Spent all day making and painting and fitting the fuel tanks.I should really be pollarding the chestnut trees but the weather is bad.
Attachments
DSC_2100.JPG
DSC_2101.JPG
DSC_2102.JPG
DSC_2103.JPG
I'm starting to plan the crew compartment, it's not ideal as the motors are right in the way but I will reach a compromise that looks reasonably convincing.
I'm starting to plan the crew compartment, it's not ideal as the motors are right in the way but I will reach a compromise that looks reasonably convincing.
The oxy/acetylene set from Armorpax.
The oxy/acetylene set from Armorpax.
DSC_2106.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Ive been quietly working away on the Bergepanther, also detailing a Protze 6x4 truck that I shall be using in my Armortek Bergepanther video work.
(I hope that the management is ok with the odd reference to the model truck, it's no longer in production but sure does enhance the photos some what). Maybe the Protze would be fantastic if produce by Armortek! I am thinking of using the Armortek Quad running gear to motorize it.

Back to the Berge,I have raised the suspension (yet again) another shim on all the suspension arms, I think it now sits as it should representing a fairly new Bergepanther "A" . It just didn't sit right in the video, so now it does!
Ive also re positioned the batteries forward to further enhance the stance, this also gives me a foundation for a dummy gearbox as part of the crew compartment detailing.

The Bergepanther reference books that I am using to help with this build ( for those who have asked by email ). :)

Phil.
Attachments
The reference books that I am using.
The reference books that I am using.
Hope you can see the ride height difference.
Hope you can see the ride height difference.
This is the all up weight ride height and so a bit more like the serving vehicles I have found on the net.
This is the all up weight ride height and so a bit more like the serving vehicles I have found on the net.
The Protze would make a nice addition to the ever growing Armortek line up.
The Protze would make a nice addition to the ever growing Armortek line up.
I the middle of making the canvas tilt, I don't do sewing!
I the middle of making the canvas tilt, I don't do sewing!
DSC_2114.JPG
A couple of SLK's as far forward as I can possibly get the weight.
A couple of SLK's as far forward as I can possibly get the weight.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

As I have a few weeks before I need to start a splendid new Tiger1 build (to include the stunning Maybach engine kit) I will carry on with the Bergepanther and maybe finish it!
Attachments
The crew compartment is coming together nicely, and as I said before due to the motors and the batteries it's a compromise not an accurate copy, anyway it's looking ok so far.
The crew compartment is coming together nicely, and as I said before due to the motors and the batteries it's a compromise not an accurate copy, anyway it's looking ok so far.
The winch house has now got the vertical gusset stays in place and the winch rope overload indicator is finished, just the wood work to do really.
The winch house has now got the vertical gusset stays in place and the winch rope overload indicator is finished, just the wood work to do really.
Mechanical engineer.