My 251 build.

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 251
Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3334 times

Re: My 251 build.

Post by Armortek »

Hi Tom

Pinning the axles is not really necessary, its a belt and braces solution. Thoroughly clean the threads on the suspension shafts and axles before applying Loctite and screwing them firmly together. Then fit and tighten the grub screws. Leave for at least 24hours before proceeding further. Dennis has done a fine job on his assembly, but you don't have to do this particular extra.

Mark
Armortek

michael hilton
Has liked: 1565 times
Been liked: 835 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis,I have taken the plunge yet again and started my 251 build. Having followed your construction I need to clear up a small technicality concerning the drive axle, page 2.
I have assembled the drive axles build numbers 3-7.Ok.
Question, are the two 3x12 pins at the differential end, equally centred. For example, the same amount of pin showing either side of the axle, where the axle enters the differential drive.....?
While I am thinking about it, have you added any extra 'grease' to the differential, there is already some on my gear wheel.....?
Regards Mick.
Last edited by michael hilton on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis, I think you can see what I mean....Mick
Attachments
Drive Axle.JPG

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Michael,

Glad to see you are back building again. Yes those pins need to be dead central as there is not a lot of meat either side. The way I did mine was to put them in the diff cup to make sure that they were central. In my opinion they could have been a bit longer perhaps but due to limited space in the diff housing probably not possible and I would think Mark has tested it and found to be ok. Look forward to seeing your build. I am just finishing the left hand side and rear door opening and closing and mounting the Flak 38 gun.

Yes I did grease up the gear on the diff.

Dennis.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis, thank you for your reply, that's a relief, as I had used Loctite and set the pins central in the axle. I have to say the differential parts are a nice fit with very little fettling ( already talking like an engineer ).
If Mark says it's ok, then it's ok.
I will add a little grease also....
I will probably go for the Field Ambulance type with my Sdkfz, after 34 years in the Ambulance Service it just seems the right and proper thing to do....
Thanks again Dennis for your quick response to my questions.....Mick

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

I think the 251 in Bovington was used as an ambulance but as you can see from my photos and I have had a look at it since there is no sign of any items in the rear of the vehicle.

Dennis.

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Both doors operational now. Managed to get hold of a servo Y lead with a built in reverser in one side which saved me having to re-design the linkages for the other side. It's also got pot on it so you can adjust the position of the servo without affecting the original one. Has been designed for flaps on model aircraft I think but a useful piece of kit. Now to move on to the other rear door.

Dennis.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Nice work Dennis, I also like 'moving parts' on models. When you have a moment perhaps you could provide a diagram or description of 'how to' install and wire up the door opening/closure system.
Following your build with great interest....Mick.

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Both rear doors operating now as well as the sides and the gun, so now I can get back to painting, rivetting and completing the build.

Dennis.

Last edited by Dennis Jones on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mick,

Here are some photos of the door operating mechanism. The servos are on Y leads so they operate together although the left hand side servo is reversed. I use a Spektrum DX8 transmitter and receiver which is an 8 channel system it also has the feature of not only being able to program the travel and direction of the servo but also the speed at which it operates which is why I can get the doors to open and close slowly. I am hoping to get a figure in the rear behind the doors holding a m/c gun with led in the barrel synced with the sound system as the led in the Flak 38 gun will be. The servos will be hidden from view eventually. Also maybe fitting a searchlight. Not completely authentic but hope it will provided a bit of interest.

Dennis.
Attachments
Linkages
Linkages
Doors Open
Doors Open
Doors Closed
Doors Closed

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thanks Dennis, a 'picture' as they say.....really brings these super models to life, one to archive for later. I must admit I had not realised much I missed the tanks, so very pleased to be back in the fold. I have been looking at the 1/6 scale searchlight on the internet and on sale in China, have you spotted it on eBay, a possible feature if I change my mind regarding the 'field ambulance'.....Mick

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mick, Have you got the details of the searchlight site as I can't find anything and I am looking for a radio set as well.

Dennis.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis, the searchlight is listed on eBay website under, TOYS MODEL WW11 Metal 6ocm FLAKSCHEINWERFER Flak-SW36 Searchlight 1/6. The shop is in China. I thought about ordering one last year for a model I was intending to build, never quite got around to it though. The searchlight would make a nice variation......Mick

Sean Noonan

Post by Sean Noonan »

hi dennis

i sold mine to sterling, see if he wants to sell it if not shoot rong a message on ebay his user name is luck_day2005 he will sell direct outside of ebay and give you a % off

cheers sean

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Sean & Mick,

I have had a look at it and I realise it would be too big for what I was thinking of. I might make a smaller one.

Dennis.