Phils Famo build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 7003 times

Re: Phils Famo build

Post by Phil Woollard »

Glad you guys are watching with interest, Mick you would love one of these and it's starting to get heavy!

A question for Armortek, do we need to grind a flat on the fixed end for the angle setting grub screw to sit in or will it just need nipping up tight as is?
Attachments
I was a bit worried about this measurement between the torsion bar bearings as theres nothing in the Bible about it. Once you you have tapped the bearings on and locktighted the grubs and slid it in the torque tube you are stuffed.......
I was a bit worried about this measurement between the torsion bar bearings as theres nothing in the Bible about it. Once you you have tapped the bearings on and locktighted the grubs and slid it in the torque tube you are stuffed.......
So all I did was assemble the torsion bar, just nipped the grubs and slid it all in and as the m6 counter sink pulled it all together the grubs held it at the correct distance......
So all I did was assemble the torsion bar, just nipped the grubs and slid it all in and as the m6 counter sink pulled it all together the grubs held it at the correct distance......
Then just measured that distance, factor in a little clearance and set all the rest the same. Maybe a bit fussy, and no doubt the big m6 would have pulled it all in even with the locktight set but I want it just right
Then just measured that distance, factor in a little clearance and set all the rest the same. Maybe a bit fussy, and no doubt the big m6 would have pulled it all in even with the locktight set but I want it just right
It's like a train to photograph
It's like a train to photograph
DSC_1573.JPG
I have assembled the front end with all the expected fetling of the bushes.
I have assembled the front end with all the expected fetling of the bushes.
It's all very nicely thought out ( I keep saying that)
It's all very nicely thought out ( I keep saying that)
Chunky brute
Chunky brute
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 961 times
Been liked: 2046 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

:shock: Phil that’s outstanding. You are making me feel like a turtle and I haven’t even got my kit yet!

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I expect that you will catch me up Brian, I may go back to the bergepanther for a bit , I just want to get the rolling chassis done for now, regards Phil :D
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 637 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Awesome Phil, you do not do anything else ?! - I'm not that fast ... - Fell me like an idiot ;)

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Florian, I'm at the gym weight training this morning, I sell our chickens eggs there to (three times a week) got a bit of looking after the land to do,a few animals to care for and some general building/maintenance as well. Other than that this time of the year i'm in the tank workshop building!
How are yours wheels coming along? Regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 637 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi Phil,
would you like to have this scale srews too?
https://knupfer.info/shop/index.php/deu ... -kopf.html
I don't know jet if they make this for us, but if there are some more needed than we have a good chance to get the screws. Its special for the rubber of the chain.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Finished the chassis!
Attachments
10-vi.jpg
10-vi.jpg (192.25 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

All the wheels have rivets and are primed, the axles and torsion bars are complete and etched primed, I shall install this lot tomorrow.
Attachments
Every thing cleaned with meths
Every thing cleaned with meths
Etch primed
Etch primed
A Tip, warm everything to be painted just like it's summer time
A Tip, warm everything to be painted just like it's summer time
Locktight all the grubs and threads
Locktight all the grubs and threads
The assemblies marked with white are for the left side
The assemblies marked with white are for the left side
An example of 4mm head  and standard m3 head
An example of 4mm head and standard m3 head
Mechanical engineer.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 746 times
Been liked: 1730 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

How many elves do you have in your shop??
I hope you are not using the ones from the North Pole because in that case I can forget my Christmas present!!

Vince

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Ahaa we have finally found Phils secret!! "I sell our chickens eggs there to (three times a week)" I need to get in the chicken business!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Then I could get a FAMO! Awesome! Sorry Phil couldn't resist.

I thought you were going to finish the others (V2, Berg) before starting the FAMO! :shock: I know - I have 4 models in process too.

That front end is awesome! Very cool - I'm glad you did start and give us a treat. Lovin those meaty tires. They look like earth mover tires!
B

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Oh no my secrets out and it's eggs lol. You would have to sell a lot of eggs to get yourself a Famo! I do sell my honey as well but the same applies. The elves will be busy today as the weather is not good in the UK, it being cold and wet, so it's into a nice warm tank workshop for me, maybe six hours of building if I'm left in peace.

An update on my question for Armortek ref the torsion bar fixing grinding , and the answer is No you don't need to grind a flat on the fixed end, the big grub screws and the big counter sink will hold it all just fine.

Ive been thinking about the Famo sounds system, so.... there'a a big V12 banging away up front, lots of room for a speaker in that area.
There are twin exhausts which exit through the rear cross member, so lots of noise and a little smoke in that area but with little room.
My plan is to hide small speakers somewhere around the rear as far back as possible. When filming or showing I want the kinda nice Doppler effect ( i think that's how it's spelt) as the vehicle passes by. Listening to Armorteks videos there's plenty of transmission and running gear/track clatter going on, so that's great.

Should be interesting trying to sort a workable system.....Phil.
Attachments
SdKfz9_FAMO_4 recovery with spade.jpg
SdKfz9_FAMO_4 recovery with spade.jpg (143.24 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Love this photo," traction issues", look at the material that the famo tracks are removing as it struggles to align the Tiger to negotiate the approaching obstacle ! I reckon i may lose the odd track block when replicating this for VT work (we will have to wait and see) but replacing them is all good fun as far as i am concerned, and will facilitate yet another photo shoot opportunity!
Attachments
390ab89852e5899fea913ecd5472416c--ww-pictures-ww-tanks.jpg
390ab89852e5899fea913ecd5472416c--ww-pictures-ww-tanks.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
Mechanical engineer.

Derek Attree
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Phil
Looking on in envy wont get mine till the end of the year as late to order.
But this thread is going to be very useful making mine
keep up the good work.

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Derek you are going to love it!

As with all German vehicles with overlapping road wheels it's a bugger to work on, once you have worked out a system/technique of wiggling all the wheel assemblies onto the axles at the same time then your away! If you need to remove any even one then it's not going to be easy but I have a plan.
I am considering removing the 2.5mm buttons on the tandem wheel assemblies and drilling and tapping with m3 (clearance drilled for the outer wheel) I will then use m3 small head bolts fitted from the front so it stays in scale, you can then at least remove the outer wheels, and then the next layer, without the hassle of de tracking and then wiggling all the assemblies off or on at the same time. I suppose if you never intend to remove the wheels you could leave as is. You could also bond the 2.5 button from the back so you can remove just the nuts. All good fun regards Phil.
Attachments
I must confess that I have put flats on the torsion bar fixed ends, over a period of time they may become loose if not done this way, this is my own mod and maybe not necessary.
I must confess that I have put flats on the torsion bar fixed ends, over a period of time they may become loose if not done this way, this is my own mod and maybe not necessary.
Setting the angles, left and right are different i have drawn both 25 and 35 deg for reference.
Setting the angles, left and right are different i have drawn both 25 and 35 deg for reference.
It's longer than my table lift which can happily accommodate a KT
It's longer than my table lift which can happily accommodate a KT
DSC_1589.JPG
Lovely looking road wheels, they all clear each other and turn effortlessly, you may need to "chock" as it will escape off the lift if it can!
Lovely looking road wheels, they all clear each other and turn effortlessly, you may need to "chock" as it will escape off the lift if it can!
You may be wondering why has he painted those beautifully finished motors and gearboxes....
You may be wondering why has he painted those beautifully finished motors and gearboxes....
It's so when it's all together and if I fit a Maybach they will become lost to some extent and not so noticeable
It's so when it's all together and if I fit a Maybach they will become lost to some extent and not so noticeable
Mechanical engineer.

simon_manning
Been liked: 1614 times

Post by simon_manning »

interesting build, and big. i like that degree measuring tool, i will try and get one of those, regards simon manning.