Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Post by Stephen White »

I use Citadel purity Seal as I’ve got a stock but I think Munitorum works as well. With that on the base colour, the oilss work well and they can easily be removed if you don’t like an effect. I don’t bother with pre-shading. I like to start with an accurate base colour and work from there.

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 678 times
Been liked: 1567 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Good morning,

At long last the Tiger has earned its stripes...
The camouflage colours are mixes of Tamiya acrylics as mentioned earlier in my build. I am still waiting for the small screws to attach the jerry can racks so I will continue with the detailing and start attaching the wheels and drive sprockets.

Regards
Gary
Time to hide in the woods
Time to hide in the woods
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs, 2024 Triple span Bailey Bridge, M26 Pershing.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 746 times
Been liked: 1730 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

That's looking really good. I'm sure after you finish it it will be a stunner.

Is the recoil still cam operated or have they gone back to servo?

Vince

Gary Richardson

Vince Cutajar wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:29 am
That's looking really good. I'm sure after you finish it it will be a stunner.

Is the recoil still cam operated or have they gone back to servo?

Vince
Hi Vince

The recoil is operated by a 35kg servo. I had a problem yesterday as I removed the barrel and struggled to get the aluminium threaded rod at the base of the barrel to separate from the part that the servo link/bolt connects to. I took me 2 hours and some WD40 to persuade them to part. I have carefully cleaned both parts and dressed the threads but will add a little copper ease to them on reassembly. It was working very well prior to me removing the barrel and I will take my time to ensure I get the recoil nice and smooth. I have made a modification using a different bolt and a brass sleeve which removes a lot of slack and keeps the operating arm centred on the barrel midline.

Best regards
Gary
Recoil mechanism and modification
Recoil mechanism and modification
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs, 2024 Triple span Bailey Bridge, M26 Pershing.

simon_manning
Been liked: 1614 times

Post by simon_manning »

That Tiger is Looking Good, That's the Basis for a superb finish, plenty of weathering and it would look real, regards simon manning.

Gary Richardson

Good morning

Just a quick update as I am helping with the guide dog today. I attached the wheels and used 0.1mm shims behind the countersunk washers as required to get the wheels spinning freely. I had one small problem as one of the hubcaps refused to undo due to paint having crept into the thread and it required solvent then WD40 to remove it. :x
The wheels are all aligned, and I am ready to install the drive sprockets and taper locks tomorrow. The whole tank has had a coat of Citadel Munitorum matt varnish ready for the weathering, dust etc.

Regards
Gary
Almost ready to roll
Almost ready to roll

Gary Richardson

Hi all

Yesterday was spent getting the effects on the paintwork. I followed advice from the more experienced builders and did small sections at a time in different areas of the Tiger to avoid it all looking the same.
Once the front deck is completed I will have a good read about fitting and aligning the drive sprockets and taper lock. I want to try and get the alignment right first time so I can bed the tracks in and do my first test drive.

Regards
Gary
Time consuming but quite relaxing to do.
Time consuming but quite relaxing to do.
First layer blended
First layer blended

Gary Richardson

Good evening

A quick update. Today I finished modulating the paint on the hull skirts, mudguards and decks. I am now looking at how to modulate the zimmerited areas. It may require a wash as I think using the brush to blend paint will knock off too many bits of the zimmerit.
I wanted to get the scorched effect on the exhaust guards and thought using my Dremel blow torch would give the most realistic effect. So, after some trepidation I went for it and think it worked rather well. The paint discoloured and bubbled very slightly then went flat again and is smooth and hard. I have added rust effects and as I used oil paints to modulate the exhausts covers, I will get a tube of Abteilung smoke black to add the smoke effects around the top.

Regards
Gary
Amazing what 600 C will do.
Amazing what 600 C will do.
A mix of acrylic and oil to get the rust effect
A mix of acrylic and oil to get the rust effect

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Looking really good. Your Tiger is top notch build! Love the details you've added.
Bob

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by Stephen White »

Gary, looking great. I found my tube of Abteilung smoke black to be very black and very oily. I think in the end I used Paynes Grey, which was drier and more sooty.

Gary Richardson

Robert E Morey wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:50 pm
Looking really good. Your Tiger is top notch build! Love the details you've added.
Bob
Hi Bob

Thank you for your kind comments, I enjoy doing the detailing but must admit I have made many rooky mistakes along the way. Hopefully by including them in my build it will help others avoid them. I was very pleased just how well the blow torch worked on the exhausts, it could just as easily have gone very wrong.

Regards
Gary

Gary Richardson

Stephen White wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:19 pm
Gary, looking great. I found my tube of Abteilung smoke black to be very black and very oily. I think in the end I used Paynes Grey, which was drier and more sooty.
Hi Stephen

Thank you, I have used Tamiya smoke acrylic paint on the insides of the exhaust guards and the end of the barrel, but it leaves a slightly glossy finish. I will have a look at Paynes Grey.

Regards
Gary

Gary Richardson

Good morning all

I finally received the 1.6mm nuts and bolts after the first parcel failed to arrive and Mark from BA Bolts kindly resent the order at no charge which arrived the next day. Fantastic service and I will definitely use them again when I do the Churchill.
The three jerrycan holders have been bolted to the turret bin and I will do the welds today and start the camouflage. I also intend to redo the muzzle brake as the Tamiya smoke paint came out too glossy. I obtained some Pynes Grey on Stephens advice and will use that for the smoke effects.
I had a big step forward yesterday. The drive sprockets were installed and adjusted, then the tracks put on. I only used 94 track links per side and there was still some slack, so I drove the tank along the road to my neighbour Pats house. He has been helping me and his honest, no holds barred approach, has been invaluable when deciding if something wasn't quite right.
He was quite surprised to see a Tiger on his driveway albeit without the barrel. I then took it through its paces and was very pleased how well it turned and climbed the kerbs. Once back on the trolley lift Pat helped me adjust the track tensioners which are quite hard to see now all the modules and switches have been installed. It looks as if I will need to take another track link out from each side as the tensioners are at full thread.
I am not entirely sure how tight the tracks should be as I have no experience to fall back on. I have aimed to get the track so there is a gap just above the first double road wheels but laying on top of all the others. I am pleased with the way the paint has worn on the tracks near the teeth, it seems to look correct.

Regards
Gary
Welds and camo next
Welds and camo next
tracks on
tracks on
Primary adjustment
Primary adjustment
First test drive
First test drive
Someone's nicked the barrel
Someone's nicked the barrel

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Looks downright awesome I'd say! Great job! Even without the barrel.
Bob

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 961 times
Been liked: 2046 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Freaking awesome. But one question, where is the tank?