Tom's King Tiger Build 2019 Hull 53

Forum for discussion relating to the King Tiger
Brenton Dolter
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Tom's King Tiger Build 2019 Hull 53

Post by Brenton Dolter »

Looks like I added extra pics, Oops
The bottom pic shows how I fixed the warped side plates the dead blow hammer worked the best. I tried using my hydraulic press but it is tricky to get just the right pressure to make the right bend, you end up going back and forth lots. The dead blow hammer supported on my vise worked really good, just strike & use straight edge to check it. The warped upper side plates were quite easy to straighten out

Tom Miller
Been liked: 325 times

Post by Tom Miller »

Hi Brenton,
Nice job fitting the rear hull plate. Yes I think the rear hull plate should sit on the side plates like you have done. I did not remove the material below the side frames only because the part is too big to fit in my bench mill and getting the angle correct would be difficult too. You don't see it when the tank is on the ground and I don't believe it will be an issue.
Tom

Brenton Dolter
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Brenton Dolter »

Thank you Tom

Im surprised the parts can be that far out. One side of the rear plate (where it meets the hull side plate needed 3/16" removed to be even with the other side. I may leave the bottom rear or mark, grind down and Finish off with a file and a square, but you are right no one can see it.

Your build looks great, it gives me inspiration.

Brent

Tom Miller

Post by Tom Miller »

Hi Guys,
Been working on a variety of things. First off I didn't like the way Armortek has the front and back half of the idler just glued together so I drilled and tapped the front half of the idler for 3mm bolts then drilled and counter bored the back half. It won't come apart now.
IMG_2870.JPG
I wanted the rear deck to be removable to gain access to the batteries for maintenance so I did not use the brackets supplied and cut two pieces of .312 x .312 aluminum angle and match drilled the mounting holes where it attaches to the rear deck components. It is not attached to the pannier sides. Then I made the three rear mounting holes slots. Now I can take the rear deck off in one piece by removing the three front mounting bolts and loosening the three rear bolts and lifting the part off. The rear bolts are a real pain to access. Now they only have to be loosened not removed.
IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG
I did cut off the front part of the supplied deck support to support the end of the mid deck.
IMG_2884.JPG
I cut, bent and fit all the mesh screens. I tricky job. Armortek shows the screens mounted on top of the square and round grill frames. I think they look better under the frames.
IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2875.JPG
IMG_2876.JPG
IMG_2877.JPG

Tom Miller

Post by Tom Miller »

Took delivery of my new 11" lathe and Mill. Both Precision Mathews products. Big improvement in size and quality from my previous machines.
IMG_2871.JPG
IMG_2872.JPG
Been working on the side skirts and other attachments. I want to get everything below the turret done before starting the turret. It is much easier to access all the hardware with the turret and upper decks removed. I will start the attachments to the pannier sides and start plugging holes and apply welds next.
IMG_2878.JPG
IMG_2879.JPG
Attachments
-1.jpg
Last edited by Tom Miller on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Boyd
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Scott Boyd »

Hi Tom, I just bought a PM 728 V-T for my build to. Interested in seeing what you plan on doing with the mill! Hope to purchase a lathe in the near future to. I’ll have a KT build thread to in the near future. Good luck and have fun with your build!
Scott

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Tom,
Nice looking new lathe and mill. You can never have too much table travel! I like your Mods on the rear deck, I'm converting most of my lift off decks to be held with magnets. Great progress on your KT.
B

Philip Allen
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Philip Allen »

Hi Tom.
I hope that you are OK and keeping safe and away from the fires?
Keep up the good work on your Tiger, looking good.

Tom Miller

Post by Tom Miller »

Hi Phillip,
The fires are just a few miles from me at this time. No evacuation order yet.... Smoke is so heavy you can hardly breath. Can't work in the shop because the smoke is so hazardous. The high winds have calmed down and that is helping get the fires under control. Had a scare the other night when the phone rang at 1:00 in the morning. It was my neighbor telling me a small fire had started just a few hundred yards from my house. Thankfully the fire dept. put it out in spite of the winds. My son is a local firefighter and has not been home for days. Other than that things are great....
Tom

Philip Allen
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Philip Allen »

Tom.
You and your family keep safe and good luck.

Best regards

Phil

Tom Miller

Post by Tom Miller »

Hi Guys,
A few pics of the latest progress. I have everything below the turret done, painted and weathered. Applied a few welds too. This is my first try at three color camo. Now it's on to the turret. The parts are big and heavy. Curious to see what the difficulties are with this part of the build. Several people on this board have warned of difficulties. Wish me luck...
IMG_2895.JPG
IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2893.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2891.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2889.JPG
IMG_2888.JPG

Phil Young
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Phil Young »

Hi Tom,
It’s looking good, well done!
How did you find tensioning the tracks? I found that minimum tensioning wasn’t enough to take a link (1&1/2 links really) out and max tensioning, even with the longer tensioning bolts, wasn’t enough to obtain some tension. I’ve resorted to altering the angle of the suspension arms, in effect raising the tank, now I have just enough tension to run it.
Phil.

Tom Miller

Post by Tom Miller »

Hi Phil,
I had the same problem with tensioning the tracks. I increased the angle a couple degrees too. Mostly to compensate for future sagging of the suspension. At present my tensioner is set at maximum and it is barely enough. If I take a track set out I can not rejoin the tracks. Works OK for now but as the tracks stretch I may have to remove a tracks set.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Excellent paint work Tom. Really nice looking KT.
Best regards,
B

simon_manning
Been liked: 1614 times

Post by simon_manning »

The Tiger looks good, nice effect, the tracks will stretch and you will find a happy medium, also the Kingtiger tracks were a little on the loose side on the real vehicle, just be careful on neutral turns and on grass, drive it like the real vehicle, with care. regards simon