SdKfz 251 build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 251
Peter Silcock
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: SdKfz 251 build

Post by Peter Silcock »

You can crimp a connector so its a very tight fit onto the terminal and then perhaps tape over to help secure. Can you turn the battery round so that if the wiring is disturbed the connector is not being pulled off. Alternatively you could drill through connector and terminal and secure with say a 2mm nut and bolt.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

I certainly wouldn't solder to battery terminal as you don't know what the heat will be doing on the inside of the casing.

As Peter says, crushing the crimp connector slightly with a pair of pliers should make for a very tight fit. Don;t make it so tight as to damage the battery terminal when pushing it on.

Alternatively, you can buy sticky backed cable tie bases from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-cable-t ... pack-sj15r

Attach one of these to the battery and cable tie the two battery leads to each other and the base. That should prevent all but the strongest tugs from removing the leads.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 323 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Alternatively re-consider your battery positioning and cable-routing so that there is some slack to absorb any vibration. If that is not possible, then extend the cables.
If you are having to put the cable under tension to get the spade connector on, then something is definitely wrong.
I would also only "crush" the connector as a temporary get-you-home fix. If it is not a secure fit on the spade then it should be replaced.

michael hilton
Has liked: 1552 times
Been liked: 835 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello and thank you for your replies, Peter Adrian and Mark. I have probably chosen the largest of batteries which means there is very little room at the front end.
I think the way forward will be to fit small nuts and bolts, as suggested. There are holes in the battery terminals. Thanks again lads.....Mick

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

Great build by the way Michael. One thing to bear in mind when using these standard 6.2 mm connectors is that quality varies considerably and sometimes they can be a very loose fit. There is nothing wrong with tweaking them to provide a tight fit - it isn't a bodge or get you home fix, merely expedient especially in hard to reach places (especially the connector underneath the motor on a KT :D )Learning from experience I tend to test every one that I fit now.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Peter, I have 'pinched' the connectors with pliers, these are now a tighter fit. I have also bound each connection with insulation tape, I think this will solve the problem. The batteries I purchased are a tight fit, leaving little room to manoeuvre. Thank you for your advice.
I have fitted the other side panel. I had some concern, as in the instructions these panels should be fitted loosely together, at first. No problem, the panel slid in place and I was able to locate the bolts easily, testament to the Armortek build quality......Mick
Attachments
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

One small problem I have had since setting up my DX6. The steering on my SdKfz is controlled from the left hand stick. Left and Right, which is how I want to control the steering. When I switch on the Tx and then the Rx the steering servo moves sharply forward and then back, or re-centres itself. How do I correct or stop this control movement when I switch on. I have watched the DX6 videos and re-read the instructions. I have also tried re-binding the Tx.....Mick

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mick,

What is happening is that the TX and RX take a few seconds to bind to one another and during this time there is no control over the servos or speed controllers. What you need to do is set up the failsafe, there should be a section in the manual that deals with this. Normally on Spektums you leave the TX off, plug the bind plug to the RX and switch on the RX, the led should be flashing, you then remove the bind plug with the RX still on. Then you check that all the sticks on TX are at neutral, press the bind switch on the TX and turn the TX on and wait until the bind process has finished and then turn both off. What this should have done is loaded the neutral settings of the servos to the receiver when no bind has taken place. I hope that the DX6 has this facility let me know just check the manual first.

Dennis.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis, no joy with the sudden servo movement when I switch on. I have tried your method Dennis and the one shown in the knowledge base.....I have also read the instructions with the DX6......
I have not seen this before with my other tanks.....I guess it will be something simple.

My left stick is set on rudder, with the stick fully back, then left or right stick, moves the steering.
The right stick controls the motor and sounds....forward and reverse.

My ability to solve these issues is limited....simple is as simple does.....help.

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mick,

I have just looked on Spektrum website and at the DX6 manual and apparently the failsafe system only works on channel 3. There maybe a way we can solve it by changing the mode of the TX but I will have to think about it and give you a ring. I am away for the weekend so will contact you next week.

Dennis.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis, thank you for your advice......I had considered changing the rudder channel just in case this was the problem. I will await your call next week. Enjoy your break, we are off to Llandudno tomorrow for an 'Victorian Extravaganza'....Mick

Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Ray Brown »

great job mate. keep up the good work.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Ray, I have been 'laid off' for a couple of weeks, domestic/health issues mainly, 'old age does not come on it's own'. :roll:
I have determined to pick up next week, where I left off.....wheels to be assembled and fitted. The final touches always seem to take the most time, anyway enough twaddle, onwards and upwards.....
I have not resolved the radio problem.....servo 'twitching' when I switch on the Rx.
I thought I could manage the weight of the 251, how wrong I was so, I purchased a small motorcycle lift, to assist in lowering the 251 to the floor, useful addition and only a fraction of the size of a table lift......Mick
Attachments
I have a motorcycle ramp for the final drop to floor level.
I have a motorcycle ramp for the final drop to floor level.
IMG_0564.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

First set of wheels fitted, straight forward assembly. It takes a while to programme ones mind and pick up where I left off. I fitted the wheel covers first, then realised that the wheel is firstly secured to the axle....lots of M3x5s to be removed... :oops:
The track fitting is a doddle.......
Attachments
IMG_0570.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Following a relaxing day at Porthmadog, Monday was designated SdKfz on test..... 251 Day 1, objective, move the 251 to ground floor level, and test run.....
One hour later the 251 is now back on the workbench....steering needs adjustment.....otherwise well satisfied, later treat ourselves to lunch. :D
Attachments
Gently roll her back, must get the balance right.....
Gently roll her back, must get the balance right.....
Carefully down the ramps....
Carefully down the ramps....
At last she's finally on the floor...relieved....
At last she's finally on the floor...relieved....
Quietly now....do not wake the wife....
Quietly now....do not wake the wife....
Mind the carpet, crossing the hall.....
Mind the carpet, crossing the hall.....
Outside at last....more relief....beautiful morning, all's right with the world.
Outside at last....more relief....beautiful morning, all's right with the world.