Panther 18

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 781 times

Re: Panther 18

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Cheers Chris.
Most useful, it was just a thought but if its going to compromise recoil, I'll leave it as is.

Many thanks.

Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Gary Rafferty
Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 442 times

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Charles A Stewart wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:00 pm
Hi All.

Just a short update. After fettling the upper half of the hull and getting to fit, not to bad in the end. I added the deck to check that it fits OK and it does.

Deck 1.jpg

Deck 2.jpg

The attachment of the crew heater means I am moving away from the Houffalize Panther that I originally thought to represent. The next question, Has anyone got a spare Panther gun mantel with the "chin"?

That would be suitable for the 2022 Panther, I should add.

Take care and enjoy the weekend.

Charles
Looks really good Charles are you going for a late 44 Panther?

Charles A Stewart

Hi Gary.

Kind of late G, trying to avoid the Zimmermit, so looking to go around Sept. 44(ish) but not essential. Having the crew heater and as Chris Hall mentions non chin mantels went on to the end of the conflict.

Lots of options still open.

Cheers all

Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Charles A Stewart

Evening all.

Took a chance, went for it and the result is, in my words, stunning :shock: :-D :-D

It arrived this morning, well packed and nothing broken, which was nice.
Postman didn't get the chance to knock twice.
Postman didn't get the chance to knock twice.
This is going to look good, I hope.
This is going to look good, I hope.
Some folk are just too keen to get started.
Some folk are just too keen to get started.
Some painting to be carried out and bulkheads and pipework need to be fitted, probably a good job for next winter.

In the mean time I am getting the decks adjusted and secure so they will "just drop in", just like that :roll:

Cheers Phil lovely engine, take care all.

Charles

Gary Rafferty

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Charles A Stewart wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:26 pm
Evening all.

Took a chance, went for it and the result is, in my words, stunning :shock: :-D :-D

It arrived this morning, well packed and nothing broken, which was nice.

Eng 1.jpg

Eng 2.jpg

Eng 3.jpg

Some painting to be carried out and bulkheads and pipework need to be fitted, probably a good job for next winter.

In the mean time I am getting the decks adjusted and secure so they will "just drop in", just like that :roll:

Cheers Phil lovely engine, take care all.

Charles
Charles that's a superb addition to you're panther looks really good quality very jealous
Will you go for radiators and fuel tanks/ fans as well?

Cheers
Gary

Charles A Stewart

Thanks Gary.

How goes your build?

I think bulkheads first, simulated rads, maybe but CPU fans( need to clear smoke from smokers) first.

Cheers
Charles

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1703 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Nice

Vince

Gary Rafferty

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Charles A Stewart wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:17 pm
Thanks Gary.

How goes your build?

I think bulkheads first, simulated rads, maybe but CPU fans( need to clear smoke from smokers) first.

Cheers
Charles
Hi Charles

To be honest I'm pretty much built in sub assemblies
Like yourself I'm not doing zimmerit so one less job
Just need to get the lower hull painted install the electronics then will all come together then go off to my painter

Cheers
Gary

Charles A Stewart

Hi All.

All this excitement over a new release, can't wait :roll:

Still, there we go, time and tide etc. Life moves onwards regardless.

Since my last visit to this area of the forum, I got really fed up of continually having to stick my head in the Panther's hull, just trying see and locate the 2x nuts on the rear hull. As I have previously mention I want to get the deck sorted.

You'll be pleased to know I have, but with a bit of surgery :shock:

So here we go:-
First up, cut the bracket off
First up, cut the bracket off
2nd, cut heat & fold
2nd, cut heat & fold
3rd, drill and tap M2.5 for 2x bolts
3rd, drill and tap M2.5 for 2x bolts
4th, an easily removable deck
4th, an easily removable deck
A final job was to spot weld the M4 bolts(fwd end, no shown) to the frame so it just drops in, the cross piece is permanently fixed and the deck attached with 2x bolts. Also all the other bits drop in where they are supposed to too.

Why, it works for me as I may/will have to do something with wonderful engine, as seen previously.

Take care folks.

Charles

Charles A Stewart

Good evening every one.

After a week of DIY and the hole in the kitchen ceiling finally sorted, only took four years. I thought a bit of me time was required. Cold and damp, so stayed in the house and had a look at the 3D engine I bought from Phil.

I have made a couple of mods to it, nothing drastic, so here we are:-
I hope to add some throttle stuff, rods & springs. Note the threaded rod, this holds down the carburetor fittings.
I hope to add some throttle stuff, rods & springs. Note the threaded rod, this holds down the carburetor fittings.
The air filters are wonky, 'cause I haven't trimmed the threaded bar holding down the carbs. Sorry Phil I changed it m2.
The air filters are wonky, 'cause I haven't trimmed the threaded bar holding down the carbs. Sorry Phil I changed it m2.
Next up will be the varnishing of the engine block and some washes for the air filter.

Take care.

Charles

Gary Rafferty

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Charles A Stewart wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:02 pm
Good evening every one.

After a week of DIY and the hole in the kitchen ceiling finally sorted, only took four years. I thought a bit of me time was required. Cold and damp, so stayed in the house and had a look at the 3D engine I bought from Phil.

I have made a couple of mods to it, nothing drastic, so here we are:-

Engine 1.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

Next up will be the varnishing of the engine block and some washes for the air filter.

Take care.

Charles
The maybach looks superb Charles

Cheers
Gary

Charles A Stewart

Afternoon all.

Hope you folks are better than the weather here, which is wet, windy & dull, again :roll:

Still it gives me the chance to to do a bit more to the Maybach as the hull for No.18 is ready for some filler in places but prefer to do this activity outside, in the dry, in the sun with a warm gentle breeze. We can but wait.

Still, latest progress:-
Added some throttle linkages, just for show if you can see them.
Added some throttle linkages, just for show if you can see them.
Rechts....
Rechts....
.....Und  links
.....Und links
How it should look, I hope.
How it should look, I hope.
For now I am going to let the paint dry thoroughly for a few days before a coat of varnish, then we'll see if a few spots of oil/fuel need to be added. Otherwise I need to make an engine bay for it, rather than propped on a couple of boxes.

It never ends does it, which is great :-D :wink:

Take care.

Charles

Charles A Stewart

Hi All.

Weather hit and miss, so still working in the nice warm house. Did get some sun on Monday, therefore got to play in the workshop, mainly milling the surface of the engine hatch:-
Opened up the vent holes, looks good when open, I hope.
Opened up the vent holes, looks good when open, I hope.
Raised hatch, gotta go, well down a bit.
Raised hatch, gotta go, well down a bit.
Ah, that's better and the hinges will sit a lot better too.
Ah, that's better and the hinges will sit a lot better too.
A real one to compare
A real one to compare
Next up fit the hinges, which I can do in the house, not to messy. then onto some sort of support for the Maybach in the hull.

Take care and have fun.

Charles

Charles A Stewart

Evening all.

Winters back again :roll:

Taking inspiration from Malcolm's No.15 build I revisited the hub cap tab washers. Like Malcolm I have opted for M2 bolts, personally I am happy with them.

I will keep the road wheel bolts as is though.
Finally completed today after some initial head scratching. Note the rejects at top, not all plain sailing.
Finally completed today after some initial head scratching. Note the rejects at top, not all plain sailing.
I will openly admit these pliers(2mm) really helped. I did try punches but it was hit and miss, pardon the pun :lol: :lol:

Cheers for now.

Charles

Charles A Stewart

Hi Folks.

The pottering with components continues, this time I was looking at the hull MG fitting, something needed doing.

So here goes:-
The originals, Armopax(reference) left, Armotek right.
The originals, Armopax(reference) left, Armotek right.
Start applying the make up, several layers.
Start applying the make up, several layers.
Little by little we build up to:-
The basic aperture.
The basic aperture.
To finish, some careful work with the mini grinding tool and hopefully a reasonable compromise.

True, I could just wack in the resin one and it will look great but with these kits I can't resist a challenge.

Have fun.

Charles