Churchill drive sprocket assembly advice required

Forum for discussions relating to the Churchill
Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Churchill drive sprocket assembly advice required

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi all

Just wanted to run this past the Churchill builders who have already completed the drive sprocket assembly. I e-mailed Kian and Monique but suspect they are very busy getting ready for Tankfest so thought I would ask my fellow builders. I am going to Tankfest Friday so may get the chance to ask Kian then :D
Referring to page 14:-
The driven gear EX0220 has the bearing Loctited to the shaft and also the gearbox casing, similar method as the Tiger and I am assuming green Loctite is used. The outer bearing 6000-2RS apparently is also Loctited to the shaft and EX0225 ( says EX0224 on page 14). My problem is I do not see how you can get to the taper lock or remove EX0224 once you have Loctited the bearing to do adjustments, maintenance etc.
I am thinking about not Loctiting the inner race of the 6000-2RS bearing but the shaft is quite a loose fit and could just revolve inside the inner race causing wear.
Any thoughts you may have would be gratefully received as this is holding up completion of the lower hull.

Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

David Skeldon
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 257 times

Re: Churchill drive sprocket assembly advice required

Post by David Skeldon »

Hi,
My outer bearing is not glued to the shaft so it can easily be removed, when the tracks are tensioned it’s unlikely that the shaft will spin in the bearing unless the bearing seizes, you could add grease so if it did it should not wear, But then my tanks do not do a lot of miles. Hope this helps.

David

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> But then my tanks do not do a lot of miles

Until you sell them to me (or Allan) :lol: :wink:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Steve Stuart »

The Cromwell has done the most of the lot, two great swans to Holland (Militracks) as well....
Steve

David Skeldon
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by David Skeldon »

Looking at Churchill tanks they don’t seem to have tyres on the rear drive sprockets
Attachments
IMG_2188.jpeg

Andy Cameron
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Andy Cameron »

Hi Gary

Can I ask what your decision was regarding loctiting the bearings, I am approaching this stage (when I figure out CP1233 M5x? Fixing Bolts to use) and quite like the idea of not using Loctite on the bearings when possible.

Andy

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi Andy

I did not Loctite the outer shaft to the bearing. If you do you will not be able to get to the taper lock later on should adjustments or maintenance be required. This also proved the right choice as I had to realign the drive wheels once the bogies were in place.

Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Andy Cameron
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Andy Cameron »

Thanks Gary I will do the same

Regards
Andy