Churchill colours.

Forum for discussions relating to the Churchill
Chris Blackler
Been liked: 1 time

Churchill colours.

Post by Chris Blackler »

Hello hello Churchill builders.
Having completed my Tiger 1 late variant build I’m now about embark on my new kit of the Churchill Mk3.
Have any of you settled upon the correct shade of green to paint your Tanks? I read that the British Army used a different variety or even varieties of Olive drab. I see that Epic Militaria sell a colour called English green. Would this be close enough?
As you can see I’m finding it difficult to find a supply of a definitive shade so I’m turning to you all to see what conclusions you came to! Cheers & what Ho!

David Skeldon
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 257 times

Re: Churchill colours.

Post by David Skeldon »

Hi,
I use English green on both my Churchill tanks, probably not quite right but I like it.

David
Attachments
IMG_2397.jpeg

Chris Blackler

Post by Chris Blackler »

Thanks David.
I was thinking that might be the route to take.
I mistakenly used Humbrol paint on my Tiger 1 build which cost me a small fortune in small spray cans of 150ml each. At least these cans come in bigger sizes for the same cost per can!

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi Chris

These are extracts from my 1944 AVRE Mk3 Churchill build. Not sure what year you are looking at but this may help.
'While at the Tank museum I got speaking to Peter who works/volunteers there. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. Peter solved many of the questions I have been chasing answers to, including about the primer on Churchills and topcoats that were used.
Churchills from 1942 were primed in red oxide with a SCC2 Brown topcoat, this changes in early 1944 to SCC15 Olive Drab, not to be confused with American Olive Drab which was a different paint mix. This means my Mk3 could have originally been painted in SCC2 , then reworked to become an AVRE, where it would have had the rework sprayed in red oxide before finally being painted in SCC15.'

'I have also done a bit of research regarding SCC15 paint and have come to the conclusion that Mike Starmers latest Tamiya mix is the worth a try.
This is his latest mix.
Tamiya XF-81 - 5 parts Dark Green
Tamiya XF-71 - 1 part Cockpit Green
Tamiya XF-58 - 1 part Olive Green '

I have been using this mix on my Churchill and think it is very close to the original SCC15.
Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Chris Blackler

Post by Chris Blackler »

Hi Gary.
Thanks for the in-depth information.
I’m probably going to go with English green as it’s cheaply priced and available. As time goes by I’ll tweak the finish to suit but for now it’ll do until I decide upon a finished look.
Cheers.
Chris.