Number 14 has Arrived -- And I have plans!

Forum for discussion relating to the 1948 - 1950 Series 1 4x4 car
Robert Reid
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 446 times

Number 14 has Arrived -- And I have plans!

Post by Robert Reid »

Hi Folks:

Sorry for the long absence. Much 'life' in the way of modeling. But as summer heat starts and my model shop is air conditioned, I have two major projects to do. One is to finish my Rolls Chassis. Which literally needs just a couple of weekends and then some paint.

After that, the Series 1 will begin. And I have sort of a deadline on that as it will be going to a home in the UK probably next year.

I have some very specific plans and these pictures will give you an idea of what I have in mind. The Mirbat Gun needs company.... and this is the perfect Companion!

[img]https://i.ibb.co/KKD9zTj/sas-801.webp[/img

Going to be lots of 'bits' to find. No problem. Most of the parts are available from guns to Comms to jerry cans, etc. Dragon and others.

Many of the other things are easy soldering and machining jobs. Got some extra wheels and seat. Biggest challenge is that these SAS Rover were done on the 86" or 88" Series 1 chassis. Not the early 80. So there will be some frame and body mods in my future. Thank goodness for Tig Welders!

One thing that I would LOVE to do is an engine bay. So if any of you are thinking about doing a Landrover 2.25L engine with 3D printing or resin.... I will gladly pre-order. And help out with design, ancillaries, etc. I think this kit is going to be a corker and lots of folks are going to do some very, very high-end static kits, not just RC. That's what I have in mind, anyway. So looking to happily cooperate with folks looking to do similar builds. Hoping that @Dave Dibb is going to jump in with both feet on detail kits. As many could translate to 'future' offerings of Later Series vehicles. Again, Glad to assist in any way possible. Once upon a time I restored a lot of Land Rovers. ANd know my way around them very, very well!

BTW, the Land Rover Heritage Trust in the UK is a fantastic source of info. And there are uncountable great pictures of Series 1's of all kinds

I look forward to following everyone else''s builds. I won't start until I clear my bench of a certain Ghost Chassis. But I'm going to get that moved forward Post-haste now that I have this in hand. But I am going to be ordering parts and accessories like a demon for the next few weeks! eBay, here I come!

Cheers!

RPR

Bryan Brown
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Number 14 has Arrived -- And I have plans!

Post by Bryan Brown »

Don't forget Armorpax he will probably stock almost everything you might require :wink: :wink:

Robert Reid

Post by Robert Reid »

Bryan Brown wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:09 am
Don't forget Armorpax he will probably stock almost everything you might require :wink: :wink:

Oh already been talking to Dave! He will have a TON of what I am looknig for. And hoping he will do some additional stuff for this project.

Have you seen his initial efforts into 3D printing? Some great possibilities for engine details. And I put a list together today for him.

The "4x4 car" designs have a potential for huge numbers of folks who want to built the vehicle they grew up with. Everyone can do great with this. And so many variations that can get built.

So... yeah! Lots to work with for everyone!

Cheers,

RPR

Robert Reid

Post by Robert Reid »

Had to pop open the box to get out the instruction book and take a look at the bits!

Some impressions... much simpler kit than most I've worked on. Going to make a fantastic entry into the world of Armortek for many. But despite the apparent simplicity, the design is really great and offers so much possibility for modification and building into really cool stuff.

The engineering/design on this cit is really brilliant. The front fenders, for example, are fantastic!! As is the design of the doors and door tops. The wheels are also brilliant! Both wheels and tires are right out of the 1950's!

I'm going to see if I can get my trimmer to make up some elephant hide cushions. Then again, scale cushions are hard to do... so may try some textures o the resin bits. Either way, they are going to work!

Just one picture of laying out some parts to get my head around the initial motifications. Not going to be hard at all!

Definitely looking forward to building this one. Now... I'm off to go shopping for kit!

Cheers!

RPR

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 1104 times

Post by Dave Dibb (Armorpax) »

Hi Pierce,

Hopefully you will find the resin seat pads are textured and not smooth. Near impossible to perfectly replicate that dimpled surface but pressing a course sanding block into the wet Milliput gives them a grainy feel.

Look forward to seeing the 88" conversion.

Best Regards,

Dave
www.armorpax.net

There used to be a nice banner here till Photobucket lost everything.............................

Alex Harrison
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Alex Harrison »

Just saw your post Re the resin engine. Deffinately interested to find the same myself.

Just a quick point. The series 1’s from 80” through to 88” had either a 1.6 or 2.0 litre motor both looked very similar. Some early series II’s also had 2ltre motors. The 2.25l engine did not arrive until around late 1958/59 in the series 2’s and that
Motor has a very different appearance in respect to carbie and the inlet manifold being on same side as exhaust manifold on the 2.25lt rather than the opposite side on the earlier engines.

Just thought I would let you know so you don’t get the wrong one 3d printed.

Cheers

Alex

Robert Reid

Post by Robert Reid »

Thanks! Yes, familiar with the different Rover engine variants...

Makes it tough to get folks interested in doing a Resin or 3D... Hoping that in the future, there is a Series IIa Car... that will have so many potentials for variants that a 2.25 engine will be justifiable.

I talked to a place out in Cali that does custom 3D printing/resin. They don't see the volume. Pretty sure Dave Dibb is in the same boat. Smalls that fit a lot of different models are good production items. Two-offs... we all get it.

Thinking I may just bang something out of metal on the Mill. They are pretty simple engines. At least the 'long block' is simple. Getting the ancillaries done gets time-consuming.

I'll see... It's a 'want' not a need. With tire and camo netting on the bonnet... not sure how much folks will open hood. But knowing it's there is always cool!

Cheers!

Dougie Smith
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Dougie Smith »

Some good reference pics for an 86inch SAS Series 1 prototype.

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/27998/l ... -57114831/

Chris Hall
Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 655 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Just seen this …. might be if interest to you:

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/27998/l ... -57114831/

Check out the price it sold for !
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)