Drive Case Assembly Page 13.

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 116 times

Drive Case Assembly Page 13.

Post by Ray Massa »

Just wondering if the drive gear should have any lube applied before assembly. Dry lube I would suspect, or maybe just wait until the motor gear gets inserted?

Also, just to make sure I am understanding the instructions properly on this assembly, for the two 6002-2Rs bearing, one get Loctited into the EVO311B hub (I assume flush with the face), the spacer EVO318 slides into EVO311A the outer cover plate (but not Loctited to it) and therefore is fully supported just on that one end. The opposite end of the spacer just rests against the other 6002-RS bearing next to the gear?

-Ray

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3334 times

Re: Drive Case Assembly Page 13.

Post by Armortek »

Ray Massa wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:59 am
Just wondering if the drive gear should have any lube applied before assembly. Dry lube I would suspect, or maybe just wait until the motor gear gets inserted?
Our view - if you lubricate, use dry lub only as the unit is not sealed. But I’ve seen others swear by using grease. What ever you do, keep in mind that contaminants will turn any grease into a grinding paste, so will require frequent servicing.
Ray Massa wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:59 am
Also, just to make sure I am understanding the instructions properly on this assembly, for the two 6002-2Rs bearing, one get Loctited into the EVO311B hub (I assume flush with the face), the spacer EVO318 slides into EVO311A the outer cover plate (but not Loctited to it) and therefore is fully supported just on that one end. The opposite end of the spacer just rests against the other 6002-RS bearing next to the gear?
Correct.
Armortek

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Thanks for the reply ARMORTEK.
So since you mentioned the drive case may need servicing to clean any debris or grease etc. would you recommend not applying Loctite to the 15 screws to the drive case? Or just use it very sparingly. I don’t know the amount of vibration that might have an effect on this unit.
Last edited by Ray Massa on Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 965 times
Been liked: 2066 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Ray Massa wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:35 pm
Thanks for the reply I’m a tech.
So since you mentioned the drive case may need servicing to clean any debris or grease etc. would you recommend not applying Loctite to the 15 screws to the drive case? Or just use it very sparingly. I don’t know the amount of vibration that might have an effect on this unit.
Blue loctite is removable type.

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Brian, my message was supposed to say “Thanks for the reply ARMORTEK”. But my phone’s auto correct changed it without me noticing. 😄

I have been using blue Loctite on everything. Will use bearing Loctite for those applications.
Just wasn’t sure how frequently this thing would need servicing, and whether it’s even worth using Loctite, but it can’t hurt using it sparingly.
Thanks.