Suspension Arms angles

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 116 times

Suspension Arms angles

Post by Ray Massa »

I assume the suspension arm angles in relation to the hull when torsion bars are inserted will be totally driven by the flats on the torsion bars when the three set screws are fastened. I don't see any spec to measure the angle. I ask because I know on some other models there is a specific angle required.

Just checking before I loctite anything down!

Thanks.

DaveMacri
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 118 times

Re: Suspension Arms angles

Post by DaveMacri »

hmmm
Last edited by DaveMacri on Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Tiger, Tiger Early, Tiger Mid,2-Sherman E8's, Stug III, Panzer III, Hetzer, Panther G, M26 Pershing, T34/85

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3334 times

Post by Armortek »

DaveMacri wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:13 am
Ray-sent another PM on this to you.
Gents - we have seen a few posts similar to this one lately.
Please note that when you send PM, the recipient will get an email informing them of the fact. The PM will remain in your "outbox" until the recipient has read it. There is no need to post that you have sent a PM.
If a few days go by and you still see the PM in your "outbox" then it is acceptable to post a message on the forum.
Armortek

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Ray Massa wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:20 pm
I assume the suspension arm angles in relation to the hull when torsion bars are inserted will be totally driven by the flats on the torsion bars when the three set screws are fastened. I don't see any spec to measure the angle. I ask because I know on some other models there is a specific angle required.

Just checking before I loctite anything down!

Thanks.
Angles are pre-set on the Pershing suspension by the SUSPENSION ARMS not by the torsion bars. This is why the suspension arms are handed and is why we do not mention manually setting an angle.
Discrepancies of plus or minus a couple of degrees between suspension arms will have zero impact on either the look or the running of the tank.
Armortek

Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Ray Massa »

Thank you. That clears that up for me at least. I figured the weight of the tank will somewhat neutralize any small angle discrepancy. Mine were all about the same, maybe 3 or 4 mm off center in some cases, except for the front multi-link one, which is off about about 5 or 6mm. But that is still OK as well? You are not recommending filing the flats on the torsion bars to adjust?

One last question, on the suspension arms (EVO209), the end with two opposing grub screws that accept the torsion bar carrier (EVO207), should or should not be Loctited in the hole? I know the grub screws should, but just checking to make sure I understood the instructions under the note of the grub screws where it said to Loctite.

This is my first kit, so I am learning. Thanks for your help.

-Ray

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

As a general guide :
- anything that needs to move should not be loctited.
- anything we mark as loctited, should be loctited
- everything else is up to you. Putting some threadlock on fasteners can reduce the amount of tightening of things that you may need to do after a few hours of running, but then you run the risk of having a model that is hard to disassemble ... so it's your call.
Armortek