3D printing

Use this area for an off topic conversations not related to Armortek or Kompact Kits. Please ensure that you abide by the forum rules.
Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 977 times

Re: 3D printing

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Gerhard Michel wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:05 pm
A guy in the Netherlands also offers such printed shells. Here the ammunition for the Jagdtiger (full scale).........

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm curious: who in the Netherlands makes these cartridges? I was given several very nice ones
when I purchased my FlaK 36/37 earlier this year. Some are resin some are brass/steel with quite nice painting and markings. I'd just
like to know who (possibly) made them.

I'm also interested in acquiring a good 3D printer, torn between resin (SLA) type or filament type. My goal would primarily be to make patterns
I can use for my foundry work... and possibly lost wax or ceramic shell casting. I've heard there are also printers that will print in a wax suitable for the latter process.

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Jerry,
FDM printer can make nice pattern for Alum casting and even using "Lost PLA" method where pattern is burned out.

If you want wax master for Investment casting you are better off with resin printer. There are a number of company that offer jewelry type casting resin.

Both method have a learning curve. You need to be able to create model of what you want - which may be the biggest learning curve.
Bob

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 977 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Robert E Morey wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:03 pm
You need to be able to create model of what you want - which may be the biggest learning curve.
Bob
There's the rub and the answer to everyone who has ever asked me why I have yet to join the 3D print
'revolution'. I've tried an online CAD app and had dismal results. I do have Fusion 360 on one of my PCs
but it's been a while since I tried to do anything with it. I feel as if I would need to take a 'sabbatical'
from model work to learn it...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Tim Page
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 425 times

Post by Tim Page »

Hi Jerry, I have tried Fusion 360 and yes, it is good, but i found it pretty tricky to get the results i wanted.

My 'goto'CAD software is Onshape (link below) and ive been using it for a couple of years now.

https://www.onshape.com/en/

I find it to be pretty easy to use and have produced some fairly complex pieces.
Having said that, if i was wanting to do a full breech assembly or HL230 engine i would probably struggle.

Onshape do some good tutorials and is definately worth a try.

I first tried Onshape before i got my first 3d printer and i really stuggled as i could not imagine the item i was trying to make in 3d. I produced an stl file and gave it to a mate at work who had a printer and he just informed me the next day that it had failed to print but i had no idea what was wrong with the design.

So, this became imediately 10,000% easier once i got my own fdm printer and i figured out what worked and what did not, and then having the ability to imediately tweak the file and start another print job to fix a scale issue or some other problem.

Some parts turn out better than others and some might need a few revisions to get right but that is part of the fun.

Cheers
Tim
2008 Armortek Panther ausf.G (early) #0035
2012 Armortek Tiger 1e (Late) #001
2009 Armortek BefehlsPanzer 111 ausf.J #0011 (SOLD)
2010 Armortek A34 Comet #0031 (SOLD)

Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Ray Brown »

i use onshape as well. great free software.

Ray

Marco Peter
Has liked: 1294 times
Been liked: 738 times

Post by Marco Peter »

Jerry Carducci wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:07 pm
I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm curious: who in the Netherlands makes these cartridges?
Well, I used to experiment making similar ones, and I did, but these particular ones are made by Tim.

His website:
https://www.44-antiques.com/nl/3-munitie-replica-s
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G