Mick's Grant

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Re: Mick's Grant

Post by John Clarke »

Live long and prosper too Mick.

Some stinker at work thinks just because I work in the food industry I should be at the factory. :roll: got travel papers and all. It's like living in a police state.

Still at the rate I'm getting though M2 taps at the moment I'd probably be better off out the garage at the moment.

Go hug a Stug mate.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 818 times

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you John, I'm finding things to do at the moment. Constructing a makeshift seat for the driver, it's hidden from view and nowhere near the quality and expertise of Phil, yourself and the many other Armortek builders...I do my best....and I only have myself to please :wink: Mick
Attachments
IMG_1768.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Mick we all do our best, and sharing the knowledge is paramount, your beautiful models are superb.
The proof of the pudding are the pictures and explanations that you post.
I wish more members of the community would share the challenges, pictures and solutions. We're all in it together. :wink:

Note to diary
If you have a nervous twitch, M2 tapping is not for you :oops:

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1196 times
Been liked: 1382 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> If you have a nervous twitch, M2 tapping is not for you :oops:

How about a 2mm drill and superglue :lol:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, just finished reading the Forum posts...some serious technical stuff going on.
Back to the more mundane, the poor guy is beginning to complain of cramp and a certain numbness in his nether regions...Obviously, the seat/frame is a means to an end...he fell between the motors yesterday....awkward sod.
On another tack, I will finish the 'bridge', something to play with in the garden, over the summer, now all the 'shows' have been cancelled...Mick
Attachments
IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Love the card board engineering Mick....do it all the time at work, duct tape, welding rods, gives you a chance to see what works.
Then engineer it properly when time allows............. Otherwise it becomes semi permanent. :oops:
Adrian: I'm old school, If can do it I'll give it a shot, glue and screw and it won't fall off. I'll probably get flissing mad, but that's the engagement.

Ohh forgive, starting to talk like management ahhhh it'll be acronyms next.
those-magnificent-men-6.png
those-magnificent-men-6.png (288.24 KiB) Viewed 11534 times

Mike Conley
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Mike Conley »

Hi Mick!

Get one of those 'half man' upper bodies from Dave at Armorpax (Dave is in England...) and then get a head to put on it.

Heck, not much can be seen below the tanker chin thru that window anyway and once the body is painted it looks GREAT! That way you still have the full figure to use somewhere else.

Mike (the one in Kentucky!)
Armorteks: King Tiger, Tiger 1, Panther G, Panzer IV, M4A3 Shermans x2, M3 Lee, Pershing, Sd Kfz 7, Pak 43.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning and thank you Mike. While lifting the turret a couple of days ago, I inadvertently pulled the gun 'flash' lead out of the recoil module. As a result, and because the option modules are way down on the bowels of the M3 I just could not reconnect the plug. I was obliged to remove the rear upper hull. Turns out I had bent the 'pins' on the recoil.
Anyway, I decided to raise the floor level and relocate the modules in more convenient positions. So far so good, the modules are accessible from the side hatch doors and turret. Not a problem, I had finished the 'housework, washing, ironing, etc,. anyway, and I have mown the lawn....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1772.JPG

Chris Hall
Has liked: 482 times
Been liked: 635 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Mick -

A useful tip, although personally I can't apply it ..... I'm welding the side doors up ! That's what they did in the jungle in 1944 ............ :lol: so I'll be reliant on that top hatch.

All the best, and stay well,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you for your thoughts Chris and good morning everyone. With the present situation and restrictions I decided to weather the Grant. It was not on my 'to do' list. I was satisfied with the Grant, as is, and planned to take the Panther, in her new paint, to a number of 'shows', now cancelled. At my advanced years, time is in short supply. Not complaining...it's a fact, and I have had a damn good innings. Anyway here goes...not very subtle, but a start....Mick
Attachments
011.JPG
008.JPG

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Looking good Mick.

Dennis.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 866 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Pete Nash wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:48 am

The Motor mounting instructions call for a plain washer and split shake-proof washer. This is bad engineering practice. One does NOT use a washer and split washer together, the bolt will turn the split washer which turns the plain washer thus negating the effect of the shake-proof split washer.
To be an effective shake-proof device the bolt heat grips the split washer and forces it onto whatever its being fastened to.
I've read the for and against arguments for using flat and split ( helical spring) lock washers together over the years. On some engineering boards this subject is cause for "colorful discourse".... For your consideration I offer this article: https://engineerdog.com/2015/01/11/10-t ... fasteners/ .....for the references to scientific analysis on the efficacy of lock washers...

Will I change what I do? probably not. In the 40 odd years I've operated larger models nothing much that mattered has fallen off ...

None of our models will be a mission critical instrument so if something come loose at an inopportune time hopefully a red face or embarrassed operator will be the worst result..

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

Interesting reading, indeed! :o
A little too much is about right...

Roy Beukeveld
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Roy Beukeveld »

That's a beautiful looking model Mick, great work!
Kind regards,
Roy

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mick,

I have sent you a private message, can you respond please.

Dennis.