Opentx sbus

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 214 times

Opentx sbus

Post by Paul Sparkes »

When using Opentx with frsky x8r is it possible to have 2 sbus compatible devices plugged in at the same time?

Beier wants to use sbus and I also want to use an sbus openpanzer control board as well, the openpanzer has some features that are nice to use.

I have sbus hooked to the Openpanzer and I can still get normal rc signals from the x8r, but I’m not getting this to work consistently at the moment.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.
Leopard “ The Bear” build with a difference. Big power for good reason.
222 scout car
See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1020 times
Been liked: 2090 times

Re: Opentx sbus

Post by Stephen White »

Paul

OpenTX can accommodate up to 32 channels, so no limitation there. SBus is simply a communication protocol, so the real limit is physical on the X8R, which can only connect one SBus module to increase channels from 8 to 16.

You can link two receivers to one transmitter using the ACCST D16 protocol, which would then give you more channels, if the TX has the extra channels. There’s a useful example here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -receivers

I’m not familiar with Openpanzer but from a very quick look, I can’t see any function that can’t be provided by a combination of OpenTX and the Beier. The latter can do very powerful servo sequences and output sequences for switching functions. Is there a particular function you want from Openpanzer that’s unique to that board?

Paul Sparkes

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Steve,

No real reason apart from I am familiar with it and I can get a tank running quickly without learning a lots of new stuff.
Openpanzer allows 1 stick control without mixing, also controls the sabertooth nicely with 3 movement curves, mg lights and gun flash seem a lot simpler.

Beier seems very powerful, i just need more time to get it working before the weekend. If it and Opentx can do all the above then i may just bypass it and go with beier. that way its a simpler setup and I already have some functions working. just need to sort the sabertooth control side out.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.
222 scout car

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White »

Paul, as I know to my cost, simpler is certainly easier, especially when you've got two such powerful tools as OpenTX and the Beier. That said, I've got Adrian Harris here shortly - I'll ask him to have a look. I'm sure he'll come up with a better answer.

Although I've got SBus implemented on my OpehTX/Beier setup, I found I really didn't need the extra channels. An alternative set-up for you might be to use SBus for the OpenPanzer card and not implement it for the Beier. I've added the extension module for the Beier for sound control via a multi-switch set-up and still haven't needed 16 channels, although I'm controlling sound, smoke, barrel smoke, recoil, barrel laser, elevation, turret rotation all from the Beier by using servo sequences. I've written it up on my Cent thread.

Paul Sparkes

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Steve,

Yes your cent thread and talking has taken me in this direction so I hold you solely responsible.

I just need you or Adrian for a crash course, tell him to pop by on his way home......lol
222 scout car

Paul Sparkes

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Just having a quick look at lunch.

X8r sbus out to sbus in on usm-rc-3 input 8.

I then get 4 servo outputs to play with.

I need drive for the sabertooth esc 2x rc outputs?
Elevation
Traverse
Servo Recoil.

So it seems I am needing more servo outputs for the Beier to work for me. Not sure Beier do one anymore.
222 scout car

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White »

With SBus, you get 16 channels. That's surely enough for all your needs?

The following might help, how to connect the Rx to the Beier in Digital Mode:

"In this case the sound module is connected directly to the RC receiver, and it recognizes the driving speed directly from one or two proportional channels (parallel to the speed controller). Via 6 or 7 additional proportional channels (and the 4 switching inputs) it is possible to control different functions of the sound module (see page 66)."

The SBus port on the X8R is connected to the SBus to PWM decoder, which then gives you 16 channels.

I suggest you read the Beier Manual closely, especially Page 12 and then understand how digital mode works. Also have a look at the wiring diagramme my Cent thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3931&start=1035

Although it doesn't show the SBus decoder, that's present on my Cent although I haven't needed to use the extra channels.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1341 times
Been liked: 1538 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

I have to say I don't understand why you're routing everything through the Beier and not using the servo outputs on the X8R for the main drive, elevation etc ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Paul Sparkes

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Adrian Harris wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:42 pm
I have to say I don't understand why you're routing everything through the Beier and not using the servo outputs on the X8R for the main drive, elevation etc ?

Adrian.
Adrian,

I sussed this out last night, sbus into Beier for sound and the X8r servo outputs for all servo function. I hadn’t realised this is the way it worked.I assumed it would be sbus or rc outputs not both together hence the servo connection limitation question earlier.

I still have a couple of challenges before installing into the tank to test fully.
When gun shot is used recoil servo connected to x8r I get a delay of the sound. I couldn't see a way to have the recoil servo on the Beier directly to solve this. It’s probably there.
The other is I have a linear servo for gun elevation but it keeps self centering instead of staying in a set position, I assume this should be possible.
Thanks
222 scout car

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White »

Paul, Centurion thread above - it’s all there. End of message.

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 604 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi Paul,

I use the so called servo sequence of the beier to realise the recoil via one of the servo outputs of the Beier. RX sends shooting signal and the Beier starts the gun sounding, the muzzle flash and the recoil sequence at the same time. The recoil sequence can make a fine detailled servo moving, up to 10 steps.
kind regards
Gerhard