00 FD 96 John's Main Contender

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
David Battson
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 232 times

Re: 00 FD 96 John's Main Contender

Post by David Battson »

Nice work John, a very neat alternative solution saving a lot of filing.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1709 times

Post by John Clarke »

It's an ok solution to a problem which was disappointing obvious. I don't think many will follow, but it does allow retro fitting for those like me who have spent too much time on the front end and just want to get on with rest of it.
Greg, yourself and I'm sure the accomplished modelers will make the best of the front upper casting and rectify.

I'm hoping this is one of the last major changes I have to make, other than subtle mods to make the model as best I can.

One subtle mod I'm considering, is the inclusion of an original blank registration plate I picked up some years ago. Using it as a shelf to carry the Red box control gear in front of the rear speaker box.

One of two bits from the original full size tank I want to included on the model. The gun ignition test bulb holder to be stored in one of the bins likely the commanders bin on the turret. That particular piece is the sort of thing I like to come up with in my work place. A little simple idea that makes life easier in the work place. And a small nod to the great guys who served.
SAM_3679.JPG
SAM_3679.JPG (184.44 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

After a little while of watching David Battson's wonderful Chieftain Mk3 build unfold, thought I'd get my backside into gear.
(Goal posts now on another planet, "All hail King David") :mrgreen:
Dusted myself off, and did a little work on the extended triangle bin and started tinkering around with the rear deck Grill/Vents panels.
Quite pleasant and fun to put together. (don't forget to fit the center section piece) :cry:
I believe four of the eight forward grills on the forward edge and rear edge of the array, have the louvers reversed, this compared to the original tank. These cannot be reversed like the mid section grills if required. It would be possible to remake, but hardly worth it, as once covered with the mesh. Hardly noticeable unless opened, especially when the rear of the turret and NBC pack covers a lot of the mid section rear deck when pointing forward.

Detailing so far, (well adding a bit more weight).
Starting with easy and the most accurate grills supplied. The two rear lift out center sections, I cut up some thin alloy sheet to frame the supplied mesh panels.
I thought of changing the mesh panels supplied for something more finely made, but I'm sure the supplied mesh panels will look ok when painted.
More importantly they add strength to the grill frame when fitted. I used the excess brass from the fret supplied with the mesh to build up and solder on the handles too, adding steel socket bolt heads for use with the magnet retainer and snail trail welds.
It will not so easy with the other grills as these are more "needy" :roll:
SAM_3684.JPG
SAM_3684.JPG (192 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
SAM_3685.JPG
SAM_3685.JPG (181.95 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
grills3.jpg
grills2.jpg
Capturea661.jpg
Capturea661.jpg (179.34 KiB) Viewed 4171 times

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

While i was taking pictures of the grills took a picture or two of the extended triangular bin in its new livery. Ribs need a little flattening to keep in keeping with square forward bin. maybe. :|
Roughed up the side armor end section to look a little like the second casting section.
Tripping hazards keeping me on my toes in the garage too.
Brrrr it's cold in here. :cry:
SAM_3688.JPG
SAM_3688.JPG (192.26 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
SAM_3686.JPG
SAM_3686.JPG (150.88 KiB) Viewed 4150 times

Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 284 times

Post by Richard Goodwin »

Nicely done John, its come out really well although not sure about the colour :D Could be worth considering a larger diameter rod for the ribs to give a bigger curve?

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 7126 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Keep it up JC! We've had a power outage since 0230 this morning so it's far to cold in my shop to! 8)
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 477 times
Been liked: 880 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Nice set of grills John, certainly coming on.
Cheers Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Winters upon us, and I'll have to bring the small parts into the house, sorry to hear about the power outage Phil, back generator? Probably we'll all need one in the future for the electric car on the drive, There goes the planet :lol:
The lime yellow paint is nice Richard, a light coating of filler under coat seems to sits nicely on the grey etch, Still in two minds to paint the whole tank base coat Light Stone or Nato Green.
I painted all the hidden bits Nato Green before fitting where possible. But because I'm taking so long on each bit, the paint layers are building up via over spray and what not. One of the reasons I'll always envy the once over on the fully built out the box models.
Good to hear from you Charles, Your Chieftain, anything new or laid up for the winter?
I'm hoping to have a little Comet on the bench soon.
Diversion tactics, should be able to stretch the Chieftain build to 20000+ hours a this rate, certainly got my money's worth :lol:
Earlier this year the Comet was recommissioned with new batteries, a few electrical's and some service work, Fast, agile just like the original, ran rings round my old KT. Brilliant model like the WW2 Cruiser tankers said "it's like driving a sports car"

David Battson
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 232 times

Post by David Battson »

Hi John,
Nice work on the engine covers, the additional border makes all the difference to the look of the etched grille. As you say, with the mesh covering, it's difficult to see what's going on underneath with regard direction of the slats.
Whilst I'm thinking about taking on some of the larger discrepancies, you've certainly set the standard when it comes to the smaller details. I was hoping to get away with doing much less, but now as a starter, it's a hasty return back to the final drives to add those jacking bolts you mentioned. :oops:
Comet makes for a good diversion, the detail is so much simpler and there's hardly a curved surface in sight to complicate things. I stopped building my one to start on Chieftain, but it may well be coming out of the box again when there's a need for some R&R.
David

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1020 times
Been liked: 2090 times

Post by Stephen White »

Comet/Chieftain, Chieftain/Comet, I have the same dilemma. One is the model pupil, who will always behave, never gives trouble and looks smart. The other is the class bully, always in trouble, looks a mess and tending to throw their weight around but with tons (tonnes) of character. One needs care and encouragement, the other needs a big stick.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

R&R, Nice. The Comet's on the bench with Chieftain for some twiddling.
Chieftain, Centurion, Comet hmmm a pattern is forming.
The Armortek British Tank owners club :lol:
The Comet went together really well and came with a nice detail kit.
Having driven a handful of Armortek models there is nothing sweeter than the Comet, fast, smooth and turns on a sixpence.
It used to run rings round the KT.
SAM_36981.jpg
SAM_36981.jpg (208.37 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
SAM_37032.jpg
SAM_37032.jpg (222.08 KiB) Viewed 3929 times

Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 284 times

Post by Richard Goodwin »

I see your garage is starting to become like mine now :D

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 477 times
Been liked: 880 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Likewise, but I will only start to worry if I look up and see Gromit on the other side of my work bench !!
Cheers Charles 😊🍷🎅🏼
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

I have to share the garage with the good ladies Car boot stuff. Some times it's difficult to know which is which.
It's in and out of the garage quick at this time of the year. Brrrrr

Warmest place in the house for drying stuff.
I've been banned from the airing cupboard. :lol:
SAM_3708.JPG
SAM_3708.JPG (145.44 KiB) Viewed 3825 times

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

It's been a few months, family bereavement, internal debates on how much detail time to invest in the model. (More on that later).

I've been happy to sit back and watch the Centurion duel and the little UC gem Build. Thanks to Phil and Helderluiss

The diversion of the overseas Teutonic battle between good and evil (Depp and Heard) has also taken up much couch potato time. :lol:

So I have a question for anyone with a built Chieftain recoil system.

Does the main 120mm gun recoil mechanism dip below the turret ring when the gun is fully elevated?

I ask because it would be nice know for battery positioning. I've fitted a false clear flat floor on the belly plate and would like to know if the standard 12v 22amp batteries will have to lay flat. (The poly carbonate protective covering is still on while I mess with it).

I've also built a shelf on top of the gearboxes to mount all those lovely red boxes, I'm still shuffling them round for the best fit and I have converted one of the original speaker brackets to support and raise the alternative speaker system. (Everyone's going to enjoy the marching band) :lol:
SAM_3737.jpg
SAM_3737.jpg (175.34 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
SAM_3745.jpg
SAM_3745.jpg (190.45 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
SAM_3735.jpg
SAM_3735.jpg (220.09 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
SAM_3744.jpg
SAM_3744.jpg (246.59 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
SAM_3738.jpg
SAM_3738.jpg (173.43 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
SAM_3741.jpg