Stug III Drive Motor Binding

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
RobertMcCormick

Stug III Drive Motor Binding

Post by RobertMcCormick »

Hi guys, I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction or give advise on why one of my drive motors is binding.
Right hand motor working no problem
Left hand motor works as long as I do not tighten up the bolts, need to leave them about 1 turn loose.
With motor loose, it works alright, but gearbox and motor heat up very quickly (right hand motor stays cool)
I have removed and checked for any damage / wear to the teeth but their is nothing.
With the motor retaining bolts left 1 turn loose, motor runs but 'wobbles' while running as if something is out of true.

Hope someone has seen this and knows where to look so I can get Stug out for its test drive while the weather is nice

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 980 times

Re: Stug III Drive Motor Binding

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Hi Robert,

Hve you tried some washers between the motor and the mount?

Regards

Peter
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, Leo II, Famo, 222s, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, 251, etc.

RobertMcCormick

Peter,
I was planning to make another washer same as the spacer at work this week to see if that helped.
It doesn't seem to be binding on the face, looks more like a radial force that is jamming it.

Will try the washer and see how it goes

Robert

florian rudolf
Has liked: 288 times
Been liked: 637 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi,
I had to edit the driven gear. When I tighten the countersunk housing bolts, everything locks up because the gear is pressed against the hull. I had to remove about 1.5mm from the driven gear.
Maybe your drive gear is pressing against the gear case?

RobertMcCormick

Rudolf,

I had noticed that at time of build and skimmed the face of the gear on the lathe, spins freely without the motor attached.
I am going to try a thicker spacer even though their does not seem to be any pickup on the gear teeth.

Robert