Transmitter Systems

Provides official comments and advice from the Armortek design team
John Wiggins
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 147 times

Re: Transmitter Systems

Post by John Wiggins »

I’ve put an order in for a universal carrier, what radio control system should I buy?
Thanks for any/all replies.

John Wiggins

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3319 times

Post by Armortek »

John Wiggins wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:52 am
I’ve put an order in for a universal carrier, what radio control system should I buy?
We will probably test the Universal Carrier with one of the FlySky FS-i6 family. These are in the range of £50 and should do the trick.
Never used one so no idea how simple they are to use or setup, nor how reliable and robust they are .. all that is still to come.

However, we will also test the UC with a Spektrum and Futaba as many people already have them in their stable.

In summary, I recommend waiting. If you are not hooked on a certain brand then the FlySky may be a good option.
Kian
Armortek

David Merritt
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by David Merritt »

Hi Kian, how are you progressing with the testing of the FlySky FS i6 family radio system with the Universal Carrier?

David Merritt

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3319 times

Post by Armortek »

We have tested the FlySky FS-i6 transmitter and and FlySky FS-iA6 receiver and they work with the Universal Carrier set up.

Overall impression are that the quality of material and finish looks and feel cheap, but the units seem reliable enough with no drop in signal and easy enough to set up and use. They also have the out of the box ability to read the voltage at the receiver which is a nice feature as well as providing a spare proportional channel.

The biggest advantage has to be the price point - the FlySky FS-i6 costs around £50.

We have it set up as follows:
Channel 1 - Bogie Steering
Channel 2 - Drive Motor
Channel 3 -
Channel 4 - Controls the braking servos for steering
Channel 5 - Linked to Switch C for controlling the audio (3 position switch). Note you will need to change this channel to switch C in the settings menu.
Channel 6 -

Some caveats - dont know how long it will last, not tried it with multiple models, NOT TRIED IT on any of our tanks and will not do so until the Sherman is ready.
Armortek

johnny johnson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by johnny johnson »

I hope Armortek will continue to support Spektrum, I have used this brand for years and am completely happy with it, I dont understand the draw to a cheaper radio system, when my Stug is done I will have well over 7000 US dollars in it and dont see why anyone would consider using a cheap radio after investing so much in their model unless the radio is actually easier to set up and use.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 965 times
Been liked: 2066 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Whatever works! Cost is irrelevant.

Gian Marco Menozzi
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 323 times

Post by Gian Marco Menozzi »

HI,
I agree, after having invested several thousand euros, to make a model,
I certainly don't save on the remote control,
I have been using Spektrum dx8 gen1 and Dx6 gen 3 for years and I have never had problems, even using orange compatible receivers,
I have all the telemetry battery voltage and current absorption, receiver voltage, motor temperature on the radio display,
specifically that on models that could be dangerous for the public present at trade fairs,
I use only original Spektrum receivers,
safety first of all.
I would like to change the radio model,
to have more channels,
I'm thinking about the Spektrum IX12 or the NX10, has anyone tried them?
Marco

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi all,

I wonder if there must be a certain RC equipment supporting tank models (Armortek or others). IMHO every modern RC equipment works together with every kind of tank steering modules. In Germany we use several well-known RC types (Graupner/JR, Futaba, Jeti, Brixl, Spektrum and so on) together with all kinds of single control modules (ESC, sound, smoke, recoil and so on) coming from several also well-known manufacturers, and there are nearly no problems in interaction.

Especially the Brixl RC is made for functional models and nearly the only one I know that is NOT developped for model airplanes. It supports up to 64 channels, an infrared transmission (no more wires between hull and turret) and much other useful features.

Just a glimpse on the newest version (under construction):

https://bluecontrol.biz/index.php/produ ... ntrol-v3-0

Gian Marco Menozzi

[quote="Gerhard Michel" post_id=81613 time=1612888944 user_id=232788]

https://bluecontrol.biz/index.php/produ ... ntrol-v3-0
[/quote]

I could not find the prices and specifications, nor who sells them, do you have any more information?
Marco

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi Marco,

the seller is Johann Brixl in Heufeld, Germany:

https://bluecontrol.biz/index.php/unternehmen/impressum

You may download pricelists and specifications.

Gian Marco Menozzi

Hi,
thanks,
I have had a look, they are very interesting but also very expensive,
I think they will stay on Spektrum
regards
Marco

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi Marco,

in Germany solid RC systems with 16 and more channels are not very inexpensive, indeed. Such Futaba, Brixl, Jeti systems cost beyond 2,000 €.

On the other hand a 'normal' tank model rarely needs more than 12 channels, but there are exceptions as well. E.g. Reinhold's large Leopard II needs more than 30 channels and uses a Brixl. My models are equipped with 16 channel receivers (Graupner MC 32), using 12 - 14 channels for special functions as light, horn, 'radio messages', animated crew members, music for the crew and so on.

Gian Marco Menozzi

Hi Michel
Yes it's true for the brands you mentioned,
staying in Spektrum, the IX12 (12 channels) costs less than 700 €, the NX 10 (10 channels) around 550 €,
on FrSky Horus or Taranis X9E are 16 channels expandable to 32 with less than 400 €,
some of my group use them and are happy.
This is clearly my opinion, and I have a preference for spektrum which I know well,
both graupner and futaba are excellent radios, that goes without saying.
thanks for the answers Michel

William Vallejo
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by William Vallejo »

[quote="johnny johnson" post_id=81599 time=1612822811 user_id=236662]
I hope Armortek will continue to support Spektrum, I have used this brand for years and am completely happy with it, I dont understand the draw to a cheaper radio system, when my Stug is done I will have well over 7000 US dollars in it and dont see why anyone would consider using a cheap radio after investing so much in their model unless the radio is actually easier to set up and use.
[/quote]

I’m with you there. People are ready to spend 7k+ USD and then wish to save nickels and dimes, or whatever, on batteries and controllers.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Been liked: 1008 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

With radio systems there are definite advantages to the 'big' names, Futaba, Spektrum, JR and the like. Futaba was my go-to system from the time I began in the 1970s. I never used anything else as they had the controls and a wide array of servos; I was a real fanboy of Futaba. Then FrSky and Turnigy came along. What made their systems attractive is they used ER9X and OpenTx software to drive their systems. As a former developer the open nature of that software drew me in. The Turnigy 9X and 9xR series are good reliable systems with the latter being a bit more 'glitzy and the 9x feeling a tad 'cheap' . The later generations of FrSky's systems, Taranis and Horus are anything but cheap feeling and have about every control you could need. Again these systems may be tailored for those of us who don't use them for aircraft.

The greatest improvement in RC systems IMHO in the last decades is the (relative) standardization of servo and peripheral connectors.

I've seen Brixl electronics systems and they are in a class all by themselves. I'd love to have one but them seem to stay pretty close to home in Germany with no representation here in the states however I could be mistaken about that..

I still maintain my Futaba 8UAP and 9ZAP systems with 2.4GHZ modules just for those occasions when nothing else will do...I even have a Spektrum 6xi... There's a good reason I have so many transmitter and receiver combinations (besides having nearly nnn tanks in all scales)......

I'll be interested in the results of further research with FrSky and Turnigy systems....

**update** I went out to Brixl Electronics website to drool once again at their systems and found an interesting article under their Tipps and Tricks menu dropdown: "The (not entirely) perfect 2.4GHz world " - it was interesting to read the various sources of interference for 2,4Ghz systems most of which I was not aware of.

Jerry