Rolls-Royce Armoured Car Lecture, London. Next week

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
Robert Reid
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 446 times

Rolls-Royce Armoured Car Lecture, London. Next week

Post by Robert Reid »

In case anyone is interested, my friend Jim Stejskal is going to be giving the Lunch Lecture at the National Portrait Gallery in London next Thursday. I'll be there as the official horse-holder and to answer any questions about Rolls-Royce and the technology behind the armoured cars.

This lecture is to promote Jim's latest book "Masters of Mayhem" about how Lawrence and his team of officers and Arab leaders pioneered what would later be termed "Combined Operations." While most view "Combined Operations" as a WW2 invention, the British in the Hejaz were combining naval forces, airpower, armoured cavalry, horse/camel cavalry, artillery support, infantry and guerrilla warfare in their campaign to isolate, bleed and, eventually drive out, the Ottoman Turks.

Jim is a fantastic speaker and his lecture includes a lot of unpublished pictures of Armoured Car Squadrons and is going to be a very worthwhile talk.

https://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/event-ro ... e-20092018

Again, hope to see some of the Armortek tribe attending! Jim will be signing books, too. I highly-recommend his new one!

Cheers,

RPR

P.S. Thanks, Kian, for letting me post this! See you at the T.E. Lawrence Symposium in Oxford in just over a week! The Armoured car model will be a huge hit!

Robert Reid
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 446 times

Re: Rolls-Royce Armoured Car Lecture, London. Next week

Post by Robert Reid »

https://coldwarconversations.com/episode120/

Just in case anyone wants an amazing podcast to listen to... this is my friend Jim Stejskal, author of Masters of Mayhem about T.E. Lawrence.

Kian met him when he brought an Armoured Car to the TEL Symposium a couple of years ago. Some amazing Cold War Berlin history here!

Cheers,

RPR

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Rolls-Royce Armoured Car Lecture, London. Next week

Post by Stephen White »

Pierce, thanks for posting that. I've just listened to Jim's lecture in full. A fascinating and candid account of special forces plans in Berlin. It struck a chord with me because in the mid eighties I served in BRIXMIS. We were operating over the border in East Germany and from time to time were tasked to look at things which would have been of interest to the people Jim describes. It goes without saying that we worked very closely indeed with our US colleagues, USMLM.

RIP Major Nick Nicholson, US Army.
RIP Adjutant Chef Mariotti, Fr Army.