counter balance weight size

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
Will Roberts
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: counter balance weight size

Post by Will Roberts »

Hello Adrian,

I too have looked through my books but have drawn a blank. I know Bovington do have tank plans but don't know if they have any of a Grant\Lee with the M2 counter-weighted barrel. I have found this clip of the holy Grant which does show some details of the counter-weight and may suffice. I am modelling a 1/35th Late Lee of the 3rd Carabiniers in Burma so have also been looking at references and have bought a barrel and counter-weight in that scale. Maybe I will do it in 1/6th one day :roll:

https://www.driving.co.uk/video/wwii-m3 ... lletholes/

All the best,

Will.

Derek Attree
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi All
My good friend Lee was at Duxford the other day and has with the agreement of the the staff measured the weight.
The measurements are in imperial but easy to convert into metric.

The weight outer Diameter is 8.5 inches
The weight length is 5.25 inches
The barrel is 5 inches diameter
The end of the barrel to the front of the weight is 1.125 inches

Thanks for all your imput

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

michael hilton
Has liked: 1552 times
Been liked: 835 times

Post by michael hilton »

Interesting video Will, the Union Jack on the Grant...appears to be flown upside down....
When King George V1 died in 1952 I was a school boy about to leave school to start work aged fifteen, also a member of the local 'Scouts' . The headmaster of my school, Blue Coat Senior School, asked three of ourselves as members of St Matthews Scouts, to raise and lower the Union Flag to half mast on the school flagstaff located in the school playground.... as a mark of respect to the Kings death. To our dismay we flew it upside down....a hard lesson learned, and one I will never ever forget :oops: ...Mick

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 323 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Not the Union Jack as it is not on the jackstaff of a ship but rather the Union flag and indeed upside down.
Like you, in the boy scouts I learnt the correct way it should be up.
Quite often during my 22 years service, I would pop into guardrooms and enquire of the guard commander what the emergency was. When the guard commander then said there was no emergency, I would then ask why they were flying a distress signal.
You did not even need to check the alignment of the stripes before hauling and then unfurling it. Top of the flag had a toggle to go into a loop of the flag rope, bottom of the flag had a loop that the toggle of the flag rope could go into. There is no excuse whatsovever for hauling a flag up upside down.

Mark

Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Kevin Hunter »

Glad I’m not the only one!
Earlier this year I took the PR dept of a ferry company to task for a similar crime. Not only was their French flagged ferry arriving in Poole with a Union Flag worn as a courtesy flag (should have been a Red Ensign) but it was hoisted upside down. Among the various excuses, human error featured highly. It seems an inexperienced deckhand had simply pulled the wrong half of the looped halyard, sending the flag up the mast bottom first.
I was transiting Poole again a couple of months later. While waiting to board our ferry to Guernsey, the same French ship was also alongside, Red Ensign fluttering on her starboard signal hoist...
Dare say I’m blacklisted in their ticketing software though :oops: