Zimmerite

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
Glen Clark
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 158 times

Zimmerite

Post by Glen Clark »

Although I'm not quite ready yet it won't be long before I'm putting Zimmerite in my Tank.Ive bought some ready made Tile Adhesive and some Pva Glue.Is there a magic number or some sort of consistency I need to look for when i mix the Adhesive and Pva?Also could I use it for filling in the countersunk screw holes before sanding them flat,or would it be better to use Milliput or something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Glen.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 959 times
Been liked: 2041 times

Re: Zimmerite

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Glen, I tried mixing the adhesive with glue about 50/50 and didn’t like it at all. I skipped the pva glue and just used adhesive only. I don’t know what advantage the PVA glue ads, maybe it’s strengthens the adhesive. I would try some mix like 80/20

I would use auto body filler for the screws milliput could fall out.

Some people might use the milliput though!

Brian

Glen Clark

Post by Glen Clark »

Thanks Brian.

Glen.

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Glen as Brian says maybe not bother with the pva, the tile adhesive sticks like sh-t to a blanket, and if an area did fall off it would ad interest and look like the real thing. You can patch it to which looks cool. As for the filling of the fixings, again as Brian said use filler and rub back flat, as it may show through the tile cement and not look so convincing 8) It's always a messy tense time using zim but it will transform the model, just don't try to get it to perfect! ....Phil.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Glen

As Phil said tile adhesive is quite strong. I'm too lazy and used mine straight out of the tub. I was worried that if I added PVA it would get too watery. Another option is to use powder tile adhesive and when mixing with water you can add the PVA also (one can also add a colour to make it look like the real thing). Over here the professionals add something else to the mix but can't remember what it is. They say it makes the adhesive even stronger and sticks better.

Vince

Glen Clark

Post by Glen Clark »

Thank you all for the advise,I'll go with just the tile adhesive then.Ill also use car body filler for cleaning up the screw heads.....Anybody want to buy 1 gallon of PVA glue.😊

Regards Glen.