Radiator shutter frame etc. and torque tube halves.

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
Steven Ford
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times

Radiator shutter frame etc. and torque tube halves.

Post by Steven Ford »

First item:

I am getting in a pickle with page 38 and would welcome a photo of how this part of the story turns out!

Are the M3x16 button hds supposed to go through EPO435 then under 403 then through 531 and into 140? I see no sign of nuts on page 38, should they be there?

Which is nearer the front - 435 or 403? AS neither is threaded presumably there should be some M3 nuts somewhere.

Second item:

The two halves of the torque tube - page 10. Clearly they are intended to screw together but after about half of the thread mine stop. One way out of this would be to mate the two halves with M1.5 nuts and bolts - but only four of the holes actually line up. How have others fared with this bit of the build?

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1341 times
Been liked: 1538 times

Re: Radiator shutter frame etc. and torque tube halves.

Post by Adrian Harris »

If you search for the word Torque in this forum, Mick has posted a few pictures of the torque tube.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton
Has liked: 1565 times
Been liked: 835 times

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning Steven, reference page 38, the two M3 x 6 button head hold the part EPO 435 to the part EPO 403, that's it, no nuts, the button heads simply screw into EPO 403. The plate, EPO 435 is screwed to the front of the frame EPO 403. The frame EPO 403 holds the shutter doors.

As Adrian said, go to page 2 on my Roller build, scroll down, towards the bottom you will see a post reference the Torque Tube. Take great care screwing the two torque tube halves together. There are only three or four threads on EPO 210. The 1.6mm rivets are mostly cosmetic. You will find only four holes line up through which you can fit the rivets. I would say that the two torque halves are held together by the ' threaded ' part, not by the rivets.
Steven, you will note that I made a mess of joining the two torque tube halves together. The threads are tight, clean them carefully, then screw gently together otherwise the threads will lock....don't try to line up the holes..... any force will destroy the threads ….good luck....Mick

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3334 times

Post by Armortek »

As Mick said, the holes on the torsion tube are there for cosmetic purposes only.

One of the reasons we did not have the rivets going all the way through the both EP0210 and EP0202 is that we wanted to leave EP0202 free to twist with the rear suspension.
Therefore we do not recommend fixing parts EP0210 and EP0202 together rigidly - if you do decide to do that then leave the shoulder screws a little loose to allow EP0210 some movement.

WRT to your other question, I think Mick got there first as well !

Kian
Armortek

Steven Ford
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Steven Ford »

Thanks Chaps!
Nil carborundum and keep passing the advice...