Radio gear advice before purchase

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
David Stewart
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Radio gear advice before purchase

Post by David Stewart »

Morning all

Having read the guide on the knowledge base and other owners posts I have been looking at radio now that my motion pack is on its way. I have found a Spektrum DX7 radio with receiver (AR7100) for sale second hand at a fair price and as I am not an expert on this wanted some guidance before I commit to the purchase.

It is one of the first 2.4 systems I believe as it uses Dsm2. Does any one here use this setup or can advise if it's a good choice?

Just after some advice as not very knowledgeable in RC systems

Thanks all

David
Armortek 2010 Mid Tiger 1

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Re: Radio gear advice before purchase

Post by Stephen White »

David, hope you found the Knowledge Base helpful. Its easy to get lost in proprietary jargon in this field.

DSM2 is compatible with the Armortek motion pack. It’s the Spektrum proprietory anti-jam technology using spread spectrum waveforms without the later frequency hopping protection. It’s fine.

You may have a problem though with the receiver. It’s intended for RC helicopters and the specifications appear to show a required input voltage of 6-10 volts and it has built in failsafe modes, which might not be helpful. Some of the channels supply unregulated output voltages of up to 10v, which are intended for high power helicopter servos. Someone else might confirm I’ve read that correctly. The Armortek power output for the receiver is 5v/1amp and is not therefore compatible. You could probably find a replacement DSM2 compatible Rx online relatively cheaply.

Hope that helps.

Stephen

David Stewart
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Radio gear advice before purchase

Post by David Stewart »

Thank you Stephen I did find the knowledge base very useful.

Appreciate the advice I will keep looking

David
Armortek 2010 Mid Tiger 1