Elephant Rain Gutter?

Forum for discussion relating to the Elefant
Dave Jones
Been liked: 22 times

Elephant Rain Gutter?

Post by Dave Jones »

I've been doing a bit of research for my build by looking at contemporary photo's of the Elephant and have noticed that there appears to be an omission from the AT kit.

From what I can see of all photo's of the Elephant (not Ferdinand) there appears to be what looks like a rain gutter attached to the front plate of the fighting compartment that extends to both sides of the vehicle from either side of the main gun, angling down at about 15 degrees. I assume this was put in place to stop rainwater from running down the fighting compartment and into the grilles.

I think this is something we Elephant builders need to include as it seems quite a noticeable feature.

Dave.

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Re: Elephant Rain Gutter?

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Dave
You are correct, an easy item to add and essential as it is so visible.
Regards
Steve

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

I can't tell from the photo's that I'm looking at but I'm guessing it's square section?

Dave

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Dave, it's an "L" section, ie a flat strip with one side bent up to form a lip. It's then welded to the front armour. Sorry about the quality of the phtotos, which I took in poor light and have had to zoom a lot. I can only see the gutter on the vehicle's left side but the absence on the right side on the Bovvy example doesn't mean a lot as museum examples are often incomplete. (Click on the image to see full size, it's clipped in this page)

Regards

Stephen

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

That's good info.

Thanks Steve.

Dave

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Whilst a very distinctive feature, I am not convinced it was a rain gutter.

For me as ex-REME, it looks like a perfect mount point for a crew shelter. Tarpaulin with a weighted rear edge that fits in the "gutters", gun barrel supports the ridge of the "tent", and you have a very nice cosy dry space above the warm engine decks for sleeping and admin when not in action.

Mark

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White »

Dave, hi. I had another look after I made the comment that the Bovvy Elephant only had the gutter on one side. In this screenshot from the "Tank Overhaul" episode, you can just see that the welding marks are present on the right side. This was taken before the so-called restoration and clearly indicates the gutter was present on both sides.
Elephant rain gutter.jpg
The Kubinka Ferdinand does not have them today but this doesn't''t necessarily mean they were never fitted.
Ferdinand_Kubinka_leftview.jpg
If I've correctly identified these as Elephants, they do have gutters on both sides and they're straight, unlike the Bovvy example.
elefant_3-653.jpg
Bundesarchiv_Elefant_Italy_1944.jpg
25d3aba00e3dc0d2c4f74a89000ca232--army-vehicles-armored-vehicles.jpg
Nice try Mark but if the basha theory were correct, why wouldn't the gutters slope down from level with the top of the barrel? Otherwise, if the basha followed the gutter line, it would be small for a midget.

All the best.

Stephen

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Hi Stephan,

Are the photos you posted as you found them or have you photo-shopped them to highlight these "gutters". If a standard fitment, surely they would blend in with the camouflage scheme and not be as noticeable as they are.If the images have not been photo-shopped, this would suggest a field modification.
If it was an authorised and ordered modification, then that will be recorded somewhere in the documentation for the vehicle type.

I still do not believe it to be a rain gutter. They could have got the same effect a lot quicker and a lot easier by an L-channel welded along the front edge and down the sides of the casement.

Mark

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White »

Photos as found. Moving on..... S

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Just to add to the gutter thread, it appears that these gutters were added when the Ferdinands were upgraded to Elefants, I have not seen them fitted to Ferdinands but someone may prove me wrong.
Regards
Steve

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

Steve, I agree. Looks like it was a feature on Elefant but not Ferdinand. So factory added at the time of conversion would make sense.

Dave

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

photoshop,? rain gutters?, tarpaulin channels,? with all that detail on the front of the tank, hatches, engine gratings/air intakes gun mantlet, i would say its a combination of tarp channel and gutter for transport purposes, cover those engine gratings over Mr Porsche before she gets wet and wont start, again. we need one of the experts to read this thread, regards simon.

Per Sonnervik
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Per Sonnervik »

I´ve researched this vehicle now for 4-5 years both inside and outside and I my conclution is that these are rain gutters. You´d want to avoid rain entering the engine bay as it contains the two generators. These gutters are L-shaped as Stephen pointed out, which can be seen in the photo below (from Bovington´s exhibition). I´ve circled the standard German bracket for strapping down the tarp over the engine deck, this could be found around the engine deck.

These gutters appear on Ferdinand as well, probably some field mods as their angle varies. Below is a photo from a s.PJ. Abt 653 before the Kursk battle. Note that tarp brackets are found on the upper front below the rain gutter - this can be seen on other vehicles as well;

Hope this helps to settle the question.

Per

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White »

Per, you nailed it with that photo. The caption describes it as a Jagdpanzer Tiger(P) Ferdinand Fgst 150012 coded 112 of 1st Kompanie, Schwere Panzerjaeger Abteilung 653, commanded by Fw Rolf Schleicher. The photo was taken in the Kuliki assembly area in June 1943,ie before Kursk.

Which confirms

- they are rain channels, fitted both sides of the upper front armour

- they were added as in-service mods to Ferdinand in Mid1943,within a couple of months of the vehicles reaching operational units.

- the mods were associated with fixtures to attach a sheet to protect the engine decks

- they were carried forward into the conversion to Elephant

Love these research challenges.

Stephen

Endex.

Kent Wiik
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 190 times

Post by Kent Wiik »

Hi all,

Per is correct they are rain gutters.

The Ferdinands left the Alkett factory to their units without their gun shield and those rain gutters.
They was installed by their field workshop during the units training before Kursk.

Just after Kursk survivors had some urgent needed overhaul in the Dnepropetrovsk "K-Works" and on the list of superstructure work the rain gutters are mentioned.
Pleas note this is not the Ferdinand - Elefant conversion, that was done 3 months later at Alkett in Austria.

All of this can be found in the thick book "Combat history of Schvere Panzerjäger Abteilung 653"

Kind regards
Kent
Attachments
List of works to be done to battle scared Ferdinands at Dnepropetrovsk "K-Works"
List of works to be done to battle scared Ferdinands at Dnepropetrovsk "K-Works"
Just before Kursk, gun shield and rain gutters are there.
Just before Kursk, gun shield and rain gutters are there.
Factory fresh Ferdinand without its gun shield and rain gutters.
Factory fresh Ferdinand without its gun shield and rain gutters.
~40x40 straight equal angle steel beam, the Bovie Elefant has a broken end.
~40x40 straight equal angle steel beam, the Bovie Elefant has a broken end.
It´s all in the details!