3D printed Sherman track links

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

3D printed Sherman track links

Post by Adrian Harris »

Thought I'd stress test my 3D printer with some track links:

DSCN6415.JPG
20 tracks links in one batch, made from TechABS black filament, at the printer's highest resolution and 100% infill.

19 hours down :D :D 65 hours to go :shock: :shock:

Adrian.
Last edited by Adrian Harris on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Adrian Harris

Re: 3D printer Sherman track links

Post by Adrian Harris »

40 hours down :D :D 44 hours to go :shock: :shock: :

DSCN6420.JPG
Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Adrian -

Other than time, have you costed materials, electricity, general wear and tear and any other costs ?

I think 3D printing is the future but, like Nuclear Fusion, it's always 30 years away ... :D

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

I will need to check once the print is finished but I believe the raw cost of the plastic was about £12.

But as you say, factor in the cost of the printer (RRP is around £1200 for this model but mine was secondhand), electricity etc and the cost will jump.

I think the next project will be to use the 3D printer to make masters for lost wax style casting. However, whilst its very easy to knock up a CAD drawing for geometric shapes like these links, parts with lots of compound curves may be quicker to produce with carved masters, due to the time it would take to produce the CAD drawing required. Having said that, once you have the drawing, there's no problem with degradation of the master as you can just run off a new one whenever it is required.

Time is the big factor with this printer. 20 links will have taken 84 hours, and you need 160 for a Sherman, so that's 672 hours of printing if doing batches of 20, or 28 days. I'm seriously considering buying a second printer, to reduce the timescales, but of course that adds massively to the overall cost.

Adrian.

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Are plastic links any good though Adrian ?

Dennis.

Maarten Schutjes
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Maarten Schutjes »

Hi Adrian,
Choosing a lesser infill % than 100 also reduces time and plastic.
In my experience it's even stronger than 100% infill mainly because it has some flexibility. 100% infill tend to break faster.
Last edited by Maarten Schutjes on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Adrian,
I didn't know you had a printer!!. Between the CNC lathe and printer you have some neat toys? Are you printing these links for extra detailing or actual RC use? I would think resin casting may be better, and a bit faster? 3D printing is great for making masters. Interested to see what the goal of the project is/was? Sometimes its fun to make parts because "you can".
Bob

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

After 84 hours, the links are done:

DSCN6515.JPG

Dennis - I have no idea :oops: but once I get the BARV back up and running, I will give them a test. Because of the Sherman track design, with the separate end connectors, these plastic links never touch the sprockets, so as long as they can take the track tension needed for the Sherman model, the only major wear should be the part which touches the ground.

Maarten - Thanks for the info. I may try a set at a reduced infill but they do need to take quite a lot of tension when running, so I think bulk of material may be more important than flexibility.

Bob - Yup, no kids so lots of toys for me :D Hopefully they'll be fully operational tracks. I wanted to recreate the look of the Sherman rubber block links, and can't think of any way to do that without using something like RTV rubber and moulds, but each link would still need a metal skeleton for the tensile strength and that would be a pain to get in the right place during the casting process, and I don't think at this scale the rubber would be thick enough to survive turns on rough surfaces without being ripped off the frame.

Adrian.
Last edited by Adrian Harris on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adrian Harris

Re: 3D printed Sherman track links

Post by Adrian Harris »

Whilst waiting for delivery of the tools I need to get the BARV operational, I seem to have bought one of these:

DSCN6697 copy.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian.

Adrian Harris

Re: 3D printed Sherman track links

Post by Adrian Harris »

This is the first attempt at the T49 link, thrashed out in PLA on the medium quality setting.

DSCN6709.JPG
I still have to add the end plates and find some way to round off the ends of the treads.

Adrian.