2004ish vintage smoke unit vs more recent ones/alternatives

All topics related to Armortek's Smoke Option Pack
Sam Hough
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 53 times

2004ish vintage smoke unit vs more recent ones/alternatives

Post by Sam Hough »

Hi,

I have a 2004 vintage smoke unit for a Tiger 1. How are the newer ones different? Not just a single 24V soldering iron element anymore?

I've added a better fan and rate related to engine start/speed/load but it would be nice to hear what the latest greatest designs are before I tidy up what I have.

Cheers

Sam

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1341 times
Been liked: 1538 times

Re: 2004ish vintage smoke unit vs more recent ones/alternatives

Post by Adrian Harris »

The current ones have a couple of improvements. The blower fan has been moved from the end of the housing to blowing straight down into the chamber, so you get much better air flow than the previous L shaped version. Plus there's a clip on the end to hold the element inside the heating tube, so no chance of it falling out.

I have to say I prefer the first design like yours. With a decent fan and a redesigned top plate, you can get a good volume and pressure of smoke out of them and the chamber is larger, so it holds more oil, and hence runs for longer between refills.

I've had gaskets laser cut, so there's no longer any smoke or oil leakage from between the two halves of the casing.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Sam Hough
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: 2004ish vintage smoke unit vs more recent ones/alternatives

Post by Sam Hough »

Thanks Adrian,

That is good to hear. I definitely want to revisit the bodge I currently have for holding the element in.

Cheers

Sam