00 FD 96 John's Main Contender

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
John Clarke
Been liked: 1712 times

Re: 00 FD 96 John's Main Contender

Post by John Clarke »

Hot out of the printing soup the fire extinguisher handles. Mark Hawkins has done a really nice job of just what I asked for.

If there's something you like drawing up and printing in extra fine detail, PM him and he may be able to help you out.

This is just the handle, collars nuts and wire will have to be made to suit.
I made my brackets not knowing how far the handles would stick out some time ago. The handles are slightly larger (10%) than the old fire extinguisher they are copied from, I was worried they may look too small, detailed but out of scale. A 1/6 hand shows it should look great when the bracket is bent and the handle fitted.
With these handles you can make them as complex as you wish, I'm just keeping mine simple with the collar and nuts.
Unless a change of mind there are four interested parties, I have two spare pairs left.
SAM_0302.JPG
SAM_0303.JPG
SAM_0304.JPG
SAM_0307.JPG
SAM_0310.JPG
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Cute little handle.

Vince

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Cute little handle in place Vince, well, one side only so far. Just got to put in the fake cable and bracket. But before doing that, have made yet another tripping hazard on the front armor deck.
A piece of tin plate trunking that protects the cables from the Dozer junction box on the full size tank. I've made it up from thin aluminum sheet cut and glued together.
A paper template was made, and after 4 hiccups :oops: (including one reverse image) I had something that resembles the piece, a few glued on bolts and a couple of brackets and it should be good to go.
The full size piece in the last picture.
1000006409.jpg
1000006476.jpg
1000006480.jpg
1000006479.jpg
chieftain_mk10_rev_010_of_136.jpg

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Dozer cable cover all painted up and bolted down. On reflection I wished I'd cut back the front Armor plate and sculptured as David Battson and other's have. Then the mud guard support could have been made larger as with the full size Tank. But is what it is.
The dummy extinguisher cable is fitted (A solid core PVC covered wire) with clip, and rubber seal washer made with a paper hole punch and a black plastic folder partition, small hole drilled and it looks the part. I can finally bolt down the bins this side, waiting for the extinguisher cylinder to be glued on later.
Might bolt it on, my gluing looking a bit iffy with the close ups. :oops:
A bit of tidying up me thinks Ah, there's always tomorrow :(
1000006485.jpg
1000006486.jpg
SAM_0323.JPG

Stanislav Yanev
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Stanislav Yanev »

Hi Jhon
I have looked at your build a few times and I enjoy what you create with hand tools, these are great skills and patience for details.
Nowadays CAD programs and CNC machines they make things easier but also take the joy out of hand-crafted details.
I am glad to see that there are still people who do things this way,

Regards
Stanislav

Clive Armitage
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Clive Armitage »

I have so much to learn, However, I'm definitely in the right place .Please can you tell me where I can get the red fire extinguisher handles? Sorry if I have missed it somewhere else .

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Clive
I got my friend Mark H to design and print a few out, I think there's a pair left. PM me and I'll give you the details.

Clive Armitage
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Clive Armitage »

Thank you I will work out how to pm you

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Stanislav, Thank you, I like to think of it as a rustic shed industry, where if the power goes out I can continue by candle light. :lol:
There is some jealousy when you see the marvels of high tech machining and 3d printing, but that's the nice thing about this hobby the sharing of information and creativity with old and new technologies.

Hi Clive, PM sent.

Stripped out the power distribution panel today to check the wiring and connections before buttoning down the deck for paintwork.
I have resoldered all the flying plugs to the red boxes having found few joints I wasn't happy with previously.

Chieftain as many will know is a very heavy model and probably takes the control gear to the edge of the R/C equipment limits. So everything has to be tip top in my opinion once the covers go on.

Stripping down the distribution board did expose some weak joints that have now been redone and hopefully will now give a good service from now on.

This is one of the early red box systems and only has one fuse for the smoker circuit, supposably because the heater could short circuit in some way. The ESC's should protect themselves with internal protection. Not sure if the sound module and amp is covered, don't think so.

So to add a little more protection, :lol: a 50 amp breaker has been fitted to protect the whole circuit should a major unexpected current be drawn.

The pictures show the wiring in the power distribution box after the sleeving was removed, there were no bare wires on the sockets,
I had to remove the sockets to repair them. Those tiny 2mm button set screws were right mummies to loosen. :shock: :shock:

Due to the high levels of current expected on the incoming supply wiring, I also soldered the loop terminals even though they'd been crimped.
I'm sure they were good for fifty amps but there's nothing like a bit of insurance too. :D

SAM_0427.JPG
SAM_0398.JPG
SAM_0408.JPG
SAM_0416.JPG
After rejointing and before refitting.
SAM_0410.JPG
SAM_0421.JPG
SAM_0422.JPG

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Will we ever see it running?

Just joking. :D :D
Pulling your leg a bit. :D :D

Take your time. After all it's the journey that counts.

Vince

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

No Vince, you are completely correct. It has taken far too long. Had this been an Tamiya kit it would have been on the shelf gathering dust years ago :lol:
And I blame the other Marvelous builders on the forum for it all! What fantastic jobs they have made of their models.

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away (before covid) Chieftain began with Phil Woolard, setting a high bar that was nearly out of view and it's been all up hill from there on. Then there's David Battson Mk3 master piece setting an even higher bar that needs binoculars to see :mrgreen:

Phil's and Youngjae showed us what we were getting and what could be achieved. Then other hobbies and life got in the way.
Thankfully I have Centurion to take out when a I get the urge to play with something heavy with tracks. 8)

The deck has been replaced and model turned on the bench, so I'm starting again down the passenger side now. Most of the detail has been done. fill a few gaps and lift the long bin up 6mm. Fit and sort out any wobbles on the road wheels and I soon might a have a rolling chassis, clearing the bench for the turret build. into the new year.

It's is The ever lasting gob stopper.
SAM_0430.JPG

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Managed to get some time on the Chieftain over the last couple of weeks, 2nd Extinguisher handle fitted, and finally getting the road wheels on. I added longer set screws on the road wheels allowing washers and M3 Nylock's to be used. All stainless, no expense spared, no rusty lug nuts here. :D

Now hopefully getting the hull off that dolly.

I used the lift table and some short ramps to lift the hull high enough to slip the Dolly out. Once off the work bench, I can now start on the cast turret, lovely. 8)

Not That dolly! :D
1000006889.jpg
1000006889.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 28 times
1000006878.jpg
1000006878.jpg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 28 times
1000006899.jpg
Hello Dolly
1000006900.jpg
Hannibal making sure it all went to plan. :wink:
1000006904.jpg
1000006904.jpg (102.02 KiB) Viewed 28 times

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 478 times
Been liked: 883 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Lovely work John.

Cheers Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.