Pz 87 Leo of the Swiss Army

Forum for discussion relating to the Leopard 2a4
Andre Meylan
Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 193 times

Pz 87 Leo of the Swiss Army

Post by Andre Meylan »

Hi there,

Over the last 50 years, I was probably into every corner of RC modelling, including race boats (>100mph), turbine helicopters, turbine jets, cars, bikes, trucks and now, my first tank!

My Leopard kit has been delivered today and I must admit, I never enjoyed such an incredibly professional and smooth transaction from ordering to delivery until now - simply stunning and huge compliments to Monique and Kian and team.

I will be building one of Switzerland's "Panzer 87" and try to arrange a photo shooting with the SDF to get some scale details and to be able to print the various decals.

My first concern is: When will it be time to do the paint job? Paint all parts unassembled as they are now or mount certain groups such as the floor, wheels etc ?? I am looking forward to get some ideas from your experience, thank you very much in advance!

Best regards, Andre
Attachments
IMG_6549.jpg
IMG_6548.jpg
IMG_6544.jpg

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 965 times
Been liked: 2066 times

Re: Pz 87 Leo of the Swiss Army

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Congrats! I like to paint small brackets and steel parts individually. Painting too many sub assemblies is too tedious. Just try to avoid putting together something that will get rusty.

Jae-seung Roe
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Jae-seung Roe »

Brian Ostlind wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:49 am
Congrats! I like to paint small brackets and steel parts individually. Painting too many sub assemblies is too tedious. Just try to avoid putting together something that will get rusty.
I agree. While building my Panther without any painting as my original plan was to go 'bare metal' non-painted version for a moment, the steel part getting rusty quite much and should have done some primer work. will go painting soon.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1019 times
Been liked: 2090 times

Post by Stephen White »

Andre, you might find it useful to read the Knowlwdge Base article on Priming and Painting here:

viewtopic.php?t=5802

Best regards.

Stephen

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

Thanks guys and this is crazy ... I get answers to my first post from all around the world ... great community !!

I will try to get pictures first from the big one ... till then, I will start with the road wheels as they have the fasteners painted so I will have to paint them assembled. Sorting out the pieces now ... more to come!

Cheers, Andre

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

Hi guys,

First assembly of the feet, putting together all wheels prior to paint job. Will sort out more useful groups to assemble, only what makes sense.

Wheels do make sense because the fasteners are also painted (instead of doing all separately !!)

But I need to get pictures of the real one first ...

Good evening, Andre
Attachments
IMG_6566.jpg

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

Going forward to assemble parts that can or must be painted assembled, I took some parts for the turret on the bench.

Wow, this is just crazy - huge and heavy and very precise in the making. Now again, the turret needs to be painted assembled. This because many of the CSK-screws need to be covered with filler and shall not appear on the painted surface. That is valid for all other parts like the floor and its sides.

The temporary built of the turret has shown the way forward. I need to verify with original photos.
Attachments
IMG_6582.jpg
IMG_6584.jpg

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

This kit is just insane ... I have provisionally mounted the turret includung barrel ... it's 1.42m long and heavy ... 8)

So the question remains whether to at least prime the steel plates before any assembly because they will get rusty.

Have a nice Sunday, Andre
Attachments
IMG_6594.jpg

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 213 times

Post by Paul Sparkes »

My advise is to paint every part before assemble then paint it again when it together.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.
Leopard “ The Bear” build with a difference. Big power for good reason.
222 scout car
See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

Paul Sparkes wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:26 am
My advise is to paint every part before assemble then paint it again when it together.
Thank you Paul, that's one option that pleases me most looking at the pieces I have brought together so far.

Cheers, Andre

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

Some work on the tracks and thanks to the forum, I will try to avoid rookie errors I would have definitely tapped into ...

Cheers, Andre
Attachments
Details of tracks.jpg

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

... this went better than I thought ... 45 mins and all tracks are drilled and ready for assembly ...!!
Attachments
IMG_6706.jpg
IMG_6709.jpg

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

Thinking about reports from the forum about loosing the pads ... how to attach them? Risking to use hard loctite and glue the pads onto the links using something like Loctite 638? What if I need to change the pads ... rocksolid or changeable ??

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 213 times

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Andre Meylan wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:54 am
Thinking about reports from the forum about loosing the pads ... how to attach them? Risking to use hard loctite and glue the pads onto the links using something like Loctite 638? What if I need to change the pads ... rocksolid or changeable ??

Andre,

We have not lost any of the steel parts but the rubber pads do come off the steel backing. If found lactate 480 seems to hold them back on again well.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.
Leopard “ The Bear” build with a difference. Big power for good reason.
222 scout car
See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Andre Meylan

Post by Andre Meylan »

Thanks Paul, understood. I started the assembly and in my opinion, it looks good so far ... following Rolf's advice with drilling out the vulcanized threads helps enormously.
Attachments
IMG_6722.jpg
IMG_6721.jpg