New to Chieftain

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
chris fry
Been liked: 259 times

Re: New to Chieftain

Post by chris fry »

hope steve this is not going to be a topic of negatives, the chieftain was sold as a prototype so there are going to be a few issues as we put together the kit, and you were supplied with a lot off the missing parts to help you build the kit up,
enjoy the build and keep the positives coming.
regards, chris.

Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 272 times

Post by Richard Goodwin »

Chris,

Correct me if I’m wrong but the whole idea of this forum is for builders to share their experiences, and if necessary, use others experience in order to resolve any issues which is all I believe, Steve has done.

Personally, I believe a resolution from yourself would have been more appropriate in helping him to resolve this issue rather than instantly assume a negative comment!

Regards

chris fry

Post by chris fry »

hello Richard,
when we build a prototype model there are going to be issues, then when we identify them we can correct them for the release of the kits, if other people see pictures of issues they are going to presume all the kits are like that, this is a prototype model so may not represent the kit release.
i will help anyone with there builds and enjoy reading posts on this friendly forum,
regards, chris

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

I'm with Chris on this one.

If new people who are thinking of buying an Armortek kit read the posts on this thread and don't pick up on the fact it's an oddball prototype kit, they'll be reading "there are bits missing" and "fix an issue with the turret bearing not lining up with the hull" and "there is a lot of rust showing itself" and wondering just how bad are these kits ?

According to the forum software, this thread has already been viewed over two thousand times. If any people are put off because they don't know the story behind this particular kit, it will put a dent in Armortek's bottom line.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Steve Cope
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi

Sorry if my post looked negative, as stated in my post I have acknowledged it is a prototype and I accept there will be issues to overcome, and there will be missing parts, I am just hoping that I can ask for the forums advice and guidance by posting pictures and showing the issues I have, this is definitely not negative, I am just saying I have not an engineering background.

If it is the forums wish for me not to post the issues I have, please advise me where I can post

Steve

chris fry

Post by chris fry »

hello Steve,
if you want to pm with any thing that arises with the build i will be more than happy to help you out,
on the negative theme and i get the forum is good for overcoming any issues that pop up, its just i am very protective of armortek and i do take it personal with pointed out issues as i build most of the prototypes/validation builds, i am no way perfect but try my best, it just seems in the world at the moment we all see the negatives and not enough is said about the huge positives us humans can achieve,
all the best, Chris.

Richard Goodwin

Gents,

Yet more negative comments; where are the positive resolutions to help a non engineer out? E

Steve,

These are my thoughts:

Rust: if steel is left on open air, it will rust. Rub any rust away with a wire brush mounted in an electric drill then treat with kurust to kill it. If screws etc are rusted, replace with stainless ones.

Hole alignment: about 3 years ago, I had an issue of aligning the bearing with the holes on the chassis. Is this the issue your referring too? If so, I seem to remember fixing the problem by aligning and fixing into position loosely the front centre hole so that the back of the bearing can be moved. Then align the back of the bearing such that it is equidistant from the hole sides and the redrill/enlarge the holes. Use larger washers to help secure. Hopefully, that’s as clear as mud.

Regards

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hello Chris \ Richard

I appologise if I seemed negative, this was not my intention, I was pointing out what I was intending to do, as in strip down and paint, and learn how it was assembled, I did not realise this would be seen by you as a slur on you, I am in awe of the abilties of you and what Armortek has achied I am chuffed to bits that I was able to purchase the chieftain as it is one of the vehicle I have driven.

Again my apologies, and thank you for offering help.

Richard, thank you

Steve

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 471 times
Been liked: 857 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi Folks.

On a positive note.

Steve, you have this sort of thing to look forward to.

True, it can be frustrating on the journey but we will get there. I am still detailing at a slow pace, but that's me.

Take care and we look forward to your take on this build.

Cheers

Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1657 times

Post by John Clarke »

Wow! Double X, one more and you could have been working for the CIA (under cover of course) I asked for 42 but got 32, my spellings not what it used to be.
Yes, they'll be a few adjustments, only 60+ were made, the original was in the thousands and they were still working on it even as Challenger 1 was being driven out of the shed.
Most of my headaches have been of my own making, wanting it to be as accurate as I can make it. See front head lights, I think I'm on the mk4's now.
The model to me has become a Willy Wonka Gob stopper, a never ending source of fun. And that's good because once you've finished you'll spend less time on this super forum. I love getting a daily dose, and seeing the latest posts.
Your lucky, you get to see how Chris builds up the model, how he aligned the front armor plate, fitted the belly plate and getting those pesky engine deck covers to align. :mrgreen:
Sadly you didn't get one of his intense paint jobs, but I'm not into the down range look either.
Spick and span with a hint of natural dust to keep the Sgt Major happy, that's my look.
I do suggest you look through the Chieftain posts to pick out handy tips that Chris may not have come across in those early days.
Hopefully you can get hold of a Cupola set from Armorpax, I might even know someone who may have a spare. 8)
SAM_0241.JPG
SAM_0239.JPG
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi John and Charles

Thank you for your comments, I am looking forward to working on this tank, I did not intend this to be, as stated a negative post.

Reference the cupola, thank you, Kian was able to supply this and other parts.

I am hoping that I can post on this forum my progress, but I will have to think of the wider community on what I post as I do not want to offend.

Thank you

Steve

Richard Goodwin

Am looking forward to seeing your progress Steve and its good that we have another addition to the Chieftain forum.

Did you get a manual on how it all goes together because that will be extremely useful?

Regards

John Clarke
Been liked: 1657 times

Post by John Clarke »

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean the cupola itself, I meant the detail kit that Armorpax kit supplied at cost, it included all sorts of parts, wipers for the supplied motor castings and various other parts (a lot) and of course the mount for the commanders MG (MG also included).
Remember, we're here to help where we can.
Please keep adding to the topic, I always enjoy a build, especially with plenty of pictures. There's always something different on each build.
For example, I'll be interested to see how and what type of battery placement you end up with. What works for you may work for me in the future. 8)
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi Richard,

Yes I was supplied with a manual, and it is a big help, but the experience of others cannot be beaten :)

Regards

Steve

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi John

Thank you for the information, I was a bit confused about the cupola :)
I have been looking at Armorpax, I did see the commander's MG mount, but it did not mention the GPMG itself.

I have asked others in the communty about the electrics setup so I am open to suggestions myself.

Have a great weekend

Regards

Steve