Easy Eight No22

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
David Hartwell
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 223 times

Re: Easy Eight No22

Post by David Hartwell »

Hi Martin,
I use an iPhone to take the pictures but it is linked to my iMac. I don't edit the photos on the phone,I do all that on the Mac. Mainly because I am of an age where I need a screen that I can actually see, it comes to us all unfortunately. As far as I know if you want to resize them on the phone you will need the appropriate app. Hope that helps and good luck.
Regards,
Dave.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Finally after a bit of practice with various ideas came up with a plan for finishing the front mudguards.
Started with a 3x3mm bar. Marked out for a 1.5 mm radius curve.
Started with a 3x3mm bar. Marked out for a 1.5 mm radius curve.
Filing the top curve moving it out of the vice as I worked along it.
Filing the top curve moving it out of the vice as I worked along it.
Until I had a bit long enough.
Until I had a bit long enough.
Applying the curve of the second one to match the first one. Not quite the way a panel beating dolly is supposed to be used but did the job.
Applying the curve of the second one to match the first one. Not quite the way a panel beating dolly is supposed to be used but did the job.
Second one done.
Second one done.
Now the tricky bit. Going across a curve at an angle requires a twist to get it to sit flat. Marked little increments then moved it out of the vice each time after applying a tiny twist to each segment.
Now the tricky bit. Going across a curve at an angle requires a twist to get it to sit flat. Marked little increments then moved it out of the vice each time after applying a tiny twist to each segment.
Until it sat nice and tight all the way across.Then cut to required length and filed curves to the ends.
Until it sat nice and tight all the way across.Then cut to required length and filed curves to the ends.
Then positioned and spot welded.
Then positioned and spot welded.
BCFFAD51-0233-404E-8DE0-29C3950B6406.jpeg
Cleaned up the welds and filled. Quick coat of primer to check the lines.
Cleaned up the welds and filled. Quick coat of primer to check the lines.
Then a small skim of filler. Sides first then the ends.
Then a small skim of filler. Sides first then the ends.
Blocked with a 3mm piece of round bar to give a 1.5mm radius.
Blocked with a 3mm piece of round bar to give a 1.5mm radius.
Tricky photo to take but you can see the little curve at the far end.
Tricky photo to take but you can see the little curve at the far end.
Quick coat of primer to check if it looks ok.
Quick coat of primer to check if it looks ok.
Into final prep and paint and that's them done. I must admit those front mudguards pushed me out of my comfort zone but I'm pleased with the outcome. Onto the next challenge.
Into final prep and paint and that's them done. I must admit those front mudguards pushed me out of my comfort zone but I'm pleased with the outcome. Onto the next challenge.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

After a considerable delay in parts I was having made, a box of goodies turned up. I can get back to the modifications which I enjoy the most. So to the loaders hatch.
Although perfectly ok as it is, I dint want that bevelled edge or the slotted fixing holes. Fixed the original hatch to a piece of plate then cut and filed to match it.
Although perfectly ok as it is, I dint want that bevelled edge or the slotted fixing holes. Fixed the original hatch to a piece of plate then cut and filed to match it.
Like so.
Like so.
The hinge unfortunately didn't have enough height to get the link bar pivot point. So had the basic parts for the replacement hinge made.
The hinge unfortunately didn't have enough height to get the link bar pivot point. So had the basic parts for the replacement hinge made.
8C9A8CBB-0117-4160-BABA-6035EF4058F8.jpeg
Before rounding off that part of the hinge, drilled and tapped for a grub screw to retain the shaft.
Before rounding off that part of the hinge, drilled and tapped for a grub screw to retain the shaft.
Then filed the top and bottom curves.
Then filed the top and bottom curves.
Drilled and tapped turret for new fixings.
Drilled and tapped turret for new fixings.
Then drilled and tapped hatch. The rear corners of the part on the turret will be cut off last.
Then drilled and tapped hatch. The rear corners of the part on the turret will be cut off last.
Pivot points drilled and tapped.
Pivot points drilled and tapped.
Marking out for the slopes.
Marking out for the slopes.
Filed like so.
Filed like so.
Then filed the top curve.
Then filed the top curve.
In the open position. The fixings will be replaced with shorter ones and filled.
In the open position. The fixings will be replaced with shorter ones and filled.
Link bars.
Link bars.
Corners cut off on the hinge and the link bars fitted.I will fill the cap heads once they have been thread locked in to hide the hex.  That's it so far, must spring into action and carry on, back soon.
Corners cut off on the hinge and the link bars fitted.I will fill the cap heads once they have been thread locked in to hide the hex. That's it so far, must spring into action and carry on, back soon.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

A little bit more.
Made the spring tensioner hooks out of some RC car steering rods.
Made the spring tensioner hooks out of some RC car steering rods.
Then the brackets are from a piece of 5mm plate.
Then the brackets are from a piece of 5mm plate.
Drilled and tapped for fixings then the holes for the hooks.
Drilled and tapped for fixings then the holes for the hooks.
Cut and filed a curved top. The threaded bit will be cut to the required length further on and the holes in the top of them will be filled. Unfortunately I can't position and fix them yet as the springs I had got in advance I decided looked to long so shorter ones in transit from our friends far away.
Cut and filed a curved top. The threaded bit will be cut to the required length further on and the holes in the top of them will be filled. Unfortunately I can't position and fix them yet as the springs I had got in advance I decided looked to long so shorter ones in transit from our friends far away.
While I'm waiting for them will carry on with the other bits. 1.5mm for the padlock bracket.
While I'm waiting for them will carry on with the other bits. 1.5mm for the padlock bracket.
Fixing holes drilled and countersunk.
Fixing holes drilled and countersunk.
Cut to size.
Cut to size.
That's the max bend I can get in my folder so that's what it is going to be.
That's the max bend I can get in my folder so that's what it is going to be.
Folding the other half to match.
Folding the other half to match.
Drilled and tapped for fixings and the height required marked.
Drilled and tapped for fixings and the height required marked.
Cut to height then the hole/slot drilled and filed in both parts.
Cut to height then the hole/slot drilled and filed in both parts.
Finally rounded off the corners. Back soon.
Finally rounded off the corners. Back soon.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Moving on to the machine gun pedestal.
Decided to replace this one with one that pivots.
Decided to replace this one with one that pivots.
Starting with the base, I hade these parts made.
Starting with the base, I hade these parts made.
Fixed the two parts together and marked for the curved corners. Then filed so that they match.
Fixed the two parts together and marked for the curved corners. Then filed so that they match.
The base part now fits snuggly in the existing hole.
The base part now fits snuggly in the existing hole.
Like so.
Like so.
Then drilled and tapped the turret and csk fixing used.
Then drilled and tapped the turret and csk fixing used.
Then the two pieces were fixed back together and the fixing screw holes were drilled through both off them. Finally tapping the bottom holes and clearance holes in the top part.
Then the two pieces were fixed back together and the fixing screw holes were drilled through both off them. Finally tapping the bottom holes and clearance holes in the top part.
The counter sunk screw sticking upwards will be for fixing to the round part.
The counter sunk screw sticking upwards will be for fixing to the round part.
Then filed the corners at the pivot point so that it hinges.
Then filed the corners at the pivot point so that it hinges.
I have used a pin for the pivot but I have also seen photos of a bolt there so not sure which is correct. It can easily be changed if required.
I have used a pin for the pivot but I have also seen photos of a bolt there so not sure which is correct. It can easily be changed if required.
So now by removing the four screws.
So now by removing the four screws.
It can pivot like so. After final assembly the two csk screws will be filled. Still working on the round part at the moment so will be back with those pics another day.
It can pivot like so. After final assembly the two csk screws will be filled. Still working on the round part at the moment so will be back with those pics another day.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Just a little part that kept getting pushed to the back of the bench because I didn't really want to attempt it.
I showed you the turret periscope earlier on and said I would go with those guards if I could drill and pin them.
I showed you the turret periscope earlier on and said I would go with those guards if I could drill and pin them.
Managed to drill 1/32 holes in those tiny feet.
Managed to drill 1/32 holes in those tiny feet.
Now I can use some 1/32 rivets as pins.
Now I can use some 1/32 rivets as pins.
Drilled the corresponding holes, prep and prime.
Drilled the corresponding holes, prep and prime.
Then final colour and loctited the pins in.
Then final colour and loctited the pins in.
Really pleased how that came out. Sometimes the fear of failing to attempt something is worse than getting stuck in and doing it.
Really pleased how that came out. Sometimes the fear of failing to attempt something is worse than getting stuck in and doing it.

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

A quick update. Springs arrived.
Now I can position the tensioner blocks.
Now I can position the tensioner blocks.
Couple of csk fixings.
Couple of csk fixings.
Shim washers to prevent the hinge from binding.
Shim washers to prevent the hinge from binding.
Springs fitted.
Springs fitted.
Nothing jamming up underneath when in the open position.
Nothing jamming up underneath when in the open position.
Happy how that's worked out so far.
Happy how that's worked out so far.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 723 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Excellent detail on the hatch- looks perfect!
Bob

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi David
That's impressive.

Regards Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Thank you for the kind comments Bob and Derek.
Onto the spring loaded catch.
Started off with a piece of 12x12.
Started off with a piece of 12x12.
Cut and filed into a square block then drilled for the eventual fixing hole. Forgot to take a photo but then drilled through for the pivot , it will make sense in a moment.
Cut and filed into a square block then drilled for the eventual fixing hole. Forgot to take a photo but then drilled through for the pivot , it will make sense in a moment.
Then marked and filed the angled sides.
Then marked and filed the angled sides.
Then marked for the curved top.
Then marked for the curved top.
Then marked for the flats on the bottom and a rough guide for the depth off the slot.
Then marked for the flats on the bottom and a rough guide for the depth off the slot.
Then marked out the slot and some hacksaw cuts.
Then marked out the slot and some hacksaw cuts.
Then filed the slot square leaving a little wiggle room because at this point the springs were coming from far away. Checking for clearance under the hatch when parallel to the turret.
Then filed the slot square leaving a little wiggle room because at this point the springs were coming from far away. Checking for clearance under the hatch when parallel to the turret.
Then cutting and filing etc the hook bit. That's just a temporary pin I was using there until the one I had ordered arrived.
Then cutting and filing etc the hook bit. That's just a temporary pin I was using there until the one I had ordered arrived.
A bit more filing.
A bit more filing.
Then these dinky little double torsion springs arrived. The sticky out leg bits required bending and cutting.
Then these dinky little double torsion springs arrived. The sticky out leg bits required bending and cutting.
I needed to increase the width of the slot now I had the measurement then positioned and fixed to the turret with a csk screw.
I needed to increase the width of the slot now I had the measurement then positioned and fixed to the turret with a csk screw.
Assembled like so.
Assembled like so.
C8EA8BEC-87E4-4F99-B8DA-E1874ACCB4B3.jpeg
It surprised me how strong that little spring is.
It surprised me how strong that little spring is.
All works nicely and snaps into place. Another small part ticked off the never ending list.
All works nicely and snaps into place. Another small part ticked off the never ending list.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 723 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

David,
The hatch catch is superb! Can you share where you found the small springs? I was thinking I'd have to make those! Very nice details.
Bob

David Hartwell

Post by David Hartwell »

Hi Bob,
Thank you for the comment. I am always happy to share info. I found them by accident when I was looking for the other ones. They are on eBay. No 155387069179. I am not connected with this seller in anyway but I had a smooth transaction and I was impressed with the quality. They fit snuggly on a 3mm pin.
Hope that is of some help.
Regards,
Dave.