Recoil Servo

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
John Elkington
Been liked: 1 time

Recoil Servo

Post by John Elkington »

I'm busy installing the option packs into my M26. Everything seems to be working fine sound-wise. I have turret rotation and gun elevation both working correctly. However, I have no main gun LED working and I can't get the recoil servo to work whatever I try. Anybody got any ideas?

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 306 times

Re: Recoil Servo

Post by Mark Heaps »

Can you post a photo showing how your system is set up ? Of particular importance is where the main gun led and recoil servo are connected to.
Also please let us know what you have tried so far
This information would help people to better identify the fault cause and not suggest something you have already tried. Also any information on anything else not working or playing up even if you do not think it relevant to this particular fault.
Several times when fixing military vehicles, I would have to go through all the diagnostic checks to diagnose a fault then fix it ( which took time ), and once I was finished the crew told me a bit of info, which if they had told me on arrival, would have taken me straight to the fault and had have them back in action in a quarter of the time.

John Elkington

Post by John Elkington »

Mark, thanks for replying. I'm not sure how a photo will help as there is an abundance of wires running everywhere! All I can say is, it is wired up as per the Armortek wiring diagrams. I have reinstalled the wiring several times, double checking that everything is plugged in where it should be but cannot get any life out of the main gun LED or the recoil servo. Everything else seems to work fine. All the sounds work ok as does the smoke, gun elevation and turret rotation. Could it be in my transmitter setup? I am running it on a high end Jeti Duplex 16 channel Tx (I used to fly large scale model planes).

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1255 times
Been liked: 1427 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

The trigger for the the recoil comes from Output 3 on the Audio Module, so if you're getting the main gun sound then the recoil should work.

Does the MG LED flash when you play the MG sound ?

One quick test is to put the MG LED on Output 3 instead of Output 4 and seeing if it flashes when you fire the main gun. That will show whether the trigger signal is coming from the sound card.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

John Elkington

Post by John Elkington »

Adrian
Thanks for your reply. Yes , the MG LED flashes when the MG sound is activated I will try your suggestion and see what happens

John Elkington

Post by John Elkington »

Adrian
I swapped the LED's over as you suggested and the MG LED flashes when the main gun is fired, so it would seem that the trigger signal is coming from the sound card. No signal appears to be coming from the recoil unit as neither the LED nor the recoil servo are working.
Over to you!

John

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Next checks:

1) Is the trigger signal is working where it comes out of the turret loom ?

2) Is the 24V to 5V power unit for the trigger module being supplied with 24V and is it producing 5V output ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

John Elkington

Post by John Elkington »

Adrian

Answers:

1) Not sure of an easy way to check this
2) definitely 24V going into the unit and 5V coming out.

John

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

I would use a couple of lengths of insulated solid core wire to hook up the MG LED to the plug on the end of the turret loom, to check the signal is getting through there.

Does the servo buzz at all when plugged into the recoil module ?

If you plug it into the receiver in place of the turret turn motor, can you move it from the transmitter ?

With the servo disconnected from the recoil unit, do the main gun LEDs flash when you play the sound ?

Adrian.

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

Something that just came to mind and maybe something to check out ?
I do not have a Pershing kit so unaware of the details of the gun barrel mounting or a copy of the build manuals for the tank or installation of the components.
Maybe not an electrical fault but rather a mechanical problem overloading the servo by preventing it turning ?
Can you disconnect the mechanical linkage from the servo to the barrel and then see if it turns and the barrel led flashes when triggered ?
If they do not, then confirmed as an electrical fault.
If they do then it is mechanical, either barrel not free to slide or servo mounted on wrong side causing the servo to turn in the wrong direction ( rather than trying to recoil, it is initially trying to push the barrel outwards and the barrel is hitting a mechanical end-stop on the gun mantlet)
Had you bench-tested all the electrics before fitting them to the vehichle ?

John Elkington

Post by John Elkington »

Thanks for all your replies guys. I have spoken to Armortek and I am sendig the unit back to them for investigation

John

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

Hi John,
Ou of interest, which part are you sending back for Armortek to investigate ? Also what led them you & them to identify it as faulty or suspect ?
Mark