Blank firer

Forum for Armortek Owners to Meet, chat and share knowledge. You are advised to check 'official advice' before carrying out any modifications.
KimLarsen
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Blank firer

Post by KimLarsen »

Hello in here.
I just want to chime in.
I have a Tiger 1.
Can you buy something so that it can shoot Blank Firer????

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 324 times

Re: Blank firer

Post by Mark Heaps »

My understanding is that Armortek no longer supply blank firers although you may find one available secondhand.
Also that Armortek do not condone the combined use of recoil and blank-firer.
If you had an earlier kit capable of blank-fire and wished to convert to recoil, they would only sell the recoil kit after submission of a disclaimer that you would only use one or the other, the vehicle would not be fitted with both at the same time.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1008 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I'm going to just say it: why bother? They seldom sound very good.

If you don't bother to clean out the residue from the mechanism and barrel it can and often does cause corrosion to occur.
Modern ammunition including blank cartridges are considered to be 'non corrosive' but that's from the perspective of mechanisms
made of steel, not aluminum. Surely black powder residue is alkaline in nature which is corrosive to aluminum as is the residue from
smokeless powders. Additionally most cartridges, either live or blank use either lead styphnate or Diazol based primers the firing
residues of either can cause issues with aluminum. Lastly the lead styphnate does provide the boon of lead residue which you don't need...

How do I know? 50 years as a 'arms' enthusiast and owner, former reloader of 50+ different cartridges using black powder ( 577/.450 Martini Henry AND .577 Snider!) or smokeless ( everything else) and yes I actually have had blank firing mechanisms that I early on realized just aren't worth the bother,
All are sitting in the 'relics of years gone by' section of my collection.

Plus as an additional bonus with everyone being on edge why draw attention to your model just to have an anemic pop?

Of course just my 2 cents...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Marco Peter
Has liked: 1322 times
Been liked: 769 times

Post by Marco Peter »

And also consider local laws. For example where I live you cannot have that. :(
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Gerhard Michel
Been liked: 594 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

The 'rolling' of a heavy tank cannon is far away from the sound of a blank firer. Simulating the sound with electronic / acoustic methods is IMHO really more realistic. Additional the model keeps clean and the police keeps calm...... :twisted:
kind regards
Gerhard

florian rudolf
Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 637 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi all,
the optics are much better with the original Blank Fire than with the electronics.
IMG-20210216-WA0012.jpg
It also depends on the sound system. I find most electronic simulations to be too dull, too quiet, or simply have the wrong sound.

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

Stahl auf der Heide 2014 at the German Panzer museum.
An Armortek Tiger 1 with a blank-firer was giving a demonstration. The first 2 shots went okay, the third didnt.

I was there in the crowd watching at the time and thought it would be a very expensive write-off. Heard later that within 3 weeks the owner had rebuilt it and had it running again.
That it could take that sort of damage and survive was a major factor in influencing me buying Armortek kits opposed to from any other manufacturer.

Marco Peter
Has liked: 1322 times
Been liked: 769 times

Post by Marco Peter »

Michael Wittman re-enactment. 8)
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Been liked: 1008 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I remember reading about that Tiger I. As I recall the owner operator reloaded his own blanks? Apparently there was a bit of explaining to do afterwards…

Hadn’t realized it was an Armortek model.

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

I do not recalling reading any discussion anywhere about whether the owner/operator was loading/reloading his own blanks and if that was the cause.
Naturally questions would have been asked and answers sought. This happened at a public event with spectators in close proximity. I was about 2 meters away when it happened
I think the turret lifted over a meter into the air. To my mind, that could not have been caused by one wrongly loaded/overloaded blank but due to a sympathetic detonation of all the remaining blanks in the firer

florian rudolf
Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 637 times

Post by florian rudolf »

I know the owner.
It was not the blank fire reason. The 9mm is much too smal to damage this.
It was the battery for the receiver. It was an Li-ion accu. I think an short circuit in the electric.

Robert Tanzer
Has liked: 937 times
Been liked: 803 times

Post by Robert Tanzer »

Hello
First, I want to say that you should always be careful with gunpowder. And think twice, at least.
Here's a picture from my Tiger fires.
I must say that I am happy with my bangs and flames.
But this is only my opinion.
Here is a small sample video:
Robert.
Tiger_2.jpg

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 688 times
Been liked: 296 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

KimLarsen wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:45 pm
Hello in here.
I just want to chime in.
I have a Tiger 1.
Can you buy something so that it can shoot Blank Firer????
I have one for sale, but it's for a panther. Don't know if it will fit in a T1?
A little too much is about right...

KimLarsen
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by KimLarsen »

super cool that is .??

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

florian rudolf wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:31 pm
I know the owner.
It was not the blank fire reason. The 9mm is much too smal to damage this.
It was the battery for the receiver. It was an Li-ion accu. I think an short circuit in the electric.
I was there at the time and it had fired succesfully twice. The explosion occurred exacty when he went for the third one. If an electrical short circuit on the receiver Li-ion accu, then one hell of a co-incidence. A short circuit on the blank-firer would have short-circuited the vehicle batteries and not the receiver one.
People would be surprised as to how much damage a blank round can do. They are not cap guns which just go bang but have a lot of power behind them. Prior to my first exercise after joining the british army we had a safety brief before being allowed to use pyrotechnics. An insecurely fitted BFA ( Blank firing attachment allowing the rifle to self-recoil) weighing about 150 grammes flew about 80 meters down-range. A thunderflash (grenade simulator) under a bin-lid lifted it almost a meter. It would have gone higher if the instructor had not been standing on it at the time.