Leopard 2A4 for Belgium

Forum for discussion relating to the Leopard 2a4
Patrick Van Den Wyngaert
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times

Leopard 2A4 for Belgium

Post by Patrick Van Den Wyngaert »

Hello fellow modelbuilders,

Finally one of the best tanks in the world is available in AT quality, and i ordered one to come and live with me in Belgium!😜
So excited for this build as probably all you guys i presume!
Hope we can share some building threads and learn a lot from each other!😊🫡👍

Regards,

Patrick.

Fabian Bekkers
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Leopard 2A4 for Belgium

Post by Fabian Bekkers »

Jup me to patrick im building a dutch version
Attachments
bb022d22915f5b592457f35407c3f8d40b_mq.png
bb022d22915f5b592457f35407c3f8d40b_mq.png (353.89 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Huzaren van Boreel🫡

JesseGuthritsch
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by JesseGuthritsch »

oooooh, why hello from Utah, USA. I too am giddy as a school boy about getting the Leopard kit!

I'm a first time kit buyer of an Armortek kit but I have a feeling this is going to be my new obsession/hobby. I feel like I will get a lot of hate as I don't plan on painting the leopard model. I'm just a huge fan of the terminator look of "as machined" parts In a assembly.

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

JesseGuthritsch wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:13 am
oooooh, why hello from Utah, USA. I too am giddy as a school boy about getting the Leopard kit!

I'm a first time kit buyer of an Armortek kit but I have a feeling this is going to be my new obsession/hobby. I feel like I will get a lot of hate as I don't plan on painting the leopard model. I'm just a huge fan of the terminator look of "as machined" parts In a assembly.
Jesse -

Welcome to the gang ! We’re a friendly bunch here - any hate is reserved for the rude or arrogant, thankfully very few.

It’s up to you how you finish your model. If you don’t paint it you’ll need to protect the metalwork to keep it shiny. But you’re just emphasising the Engineering side of the hobby, over the historical side which is my personal preference (passion !).

You’re right about the risk of it becoming an obsession, though. It’s like beer - one is never enough :lol:

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

mick whittingham
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by mick whittingham »

Hi there.
Yes finishing a model is a matter of personal preference.
I made a set of engineering hand tools in miniature and entered them in a competition. I polished them like you would knife blades, thinking it looked better. The judges were split, but the head judge said they should have been satin finished like the originals. That was the difference between a bronze award and silver. But I still prefer them shiny. There was a steam traction engine in the same category as me, there was not a speck of paint on it, the builder wanted you to see every rivet and joint. It was completely beautiful, a real engineering masterpiece. But the judges did not even place it, they said paint was every but as important as the engineering. Funny what people think of things.
It's right that you will have to protect the unpainted metals, unless you want your terminator look to be pretty short lived. Laquering can be just as demanding as paint, and the different metals will look odd next to each other unless you work hard on achieving a consistent level of finish. Armortek use aluminium, brass, copper, steel etc and its nearly impossible to blend these different metals to a uniform look.
Enjoy the build though and post plenty of photos.

JesseGuthritsch

Jesse -

Welcome to the gang ! We’re a friendly bunch here - any hate is reserved for the rude or arrogant, thankfully very few.

It’s up to you how you finish your model. If you don’t paint it you’ll need to protect the metalwork to keep it shiny. But you’re just emphasising the Engineering side of the hobby, over the historical side which is my personal preference (passion !).

You’re right about the risk of it becoming an obsession, though. It’s like beer - one is never enough :lol:

All the best,

Chris
[/quote]

I was thinking about clear coating all the aluminum parts but I also kinda like the old weathered aluminum look. Then I got the idea that I would slowly replace all the outside armor plates with steel ones (I thought this model being bulletproof to small arms would be cool) and I would probably paint the steel parts to match the Leopards colors.

Idk yet but I have learned that I don't like projects anyone once there built. Unless I have something I can upgrade or tinker on, I quickly loose interest (my damn ADHD brain) so I'll have to find a way to make my Leopard special to me... maybe I'll paint it pink once it can survive 45APC rounds.

Jesse

JesseGuthritsch

mick whittingham wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:57 am
Hi there.
Yes finishing a model is a matter of personal preference.
I made a set of engineering hand tools in miniature and entered them in a competition. I polished them like you would knife blades, thinking it looked better. The judges were split, but the head judge said they should have been satin finished like the originals. That was the difference between a bronze award and silver. But I still prefer them shiny. There was a steam traction engine in the same category as me, there was not a speck of paint on it, the builder wanted you to see every rivet and joint. It was completely beautiful, a real engineering masterpiece. But the judges did not even place it, they said paint was every but as important as the engineering. Funny what people think of things.
It's right that you will have to protect the unpainted metals, unless you want your terminator look to be pretty short lived. Laquering can be just as demanding as paint, and the different metals will look odd next to each other unless you work hard on achieving a consistent level of finish. Armortek use aluminium, brass, copper, steel etc and its nearly impossible to blend these different metals to a uniform look.
Enjoy the build though and post plenty of photos.
I am excited to start seeing build pictures go up in the next few months to see how everyone else finishes there leopard kits! I can't wait

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

I am excited to start seeing build pictures go up in the next few months to see how everyone else finishes there leopard kits! I can't wait
[/quote]

Ambush scheme, of cause!!!! 8) 8) 8)
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Patrick Van Den Wyngaert
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Patrick Van Den Wyngaert »

The Leopard has arrived,and in good condition,no damaged parts😇.
Just spend the last two days checking if everything was in the boxes....and it was all ok!😉
20240420_123031.jpg
First job now is to finish my Tiger 1,and after that i can start on this beauty 🤗
Attachments
20240418_150927.jpg
20240418_145042.jpg
20240418_150131.jpg

Fabian Bekkers
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Fabian Bekkers »

Nice patrick have fun building this awesome leo im getting my kit tomorrow 🥳🎁🎊🙏🫡
Huzaren van Boreel🫡