Re: The ALL NEW Armortek drive system for tanks

Post by neil graham »

I wants one!

David Merritt
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by David Merritt »

From my understanding of a sensed brushless motor with the sensors connected to the ESC, as the load on the motor changes so the power supplied to the motor changes to try and maintain a constant speed of the motor. This should make loading the tank back into the transportation vehicle a lot easier as for a given stick position you will have a stable speed.
Some of the ESC for brushless motors can be set to provide what is called "drag brake force " which should slow the vehicle down when the stick is in the centred position. I would hope that the new Armortek drive system has this as it is a useful fail safe position as without it even on level ground it would take some distance for the vehicle to stop due to inertia if there was a communication failure between the transmitter and receiver and the fail safe conditions were activated.

Regards
David.

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi guys,

well, with my non-Armortek-Models I have some experience in using spur gear drives (with brushed motors), which are as smooth running as belt drives. This is very useful when moving the model by hand or tow it by another model, but it may be rather dangerous on the ramps, and the model will run down every hillside in an unattractive matter.

Therefore we have ESCs with electromagnetic force brakes built in (good ESCs allow to use this brake even stepless by an own RC channel, but this is not really necessary). Then the model 'crawls' down the hill (or the ramp!) when the stick is in center position, and it is a real pleasure to watch this without any own action! Of course the model remains steerable if necessary.

I'm sure that this option is also possible with brushless motors, when the ESC is suitably constructed.

Another problem of smooth running drives is curving and turning. A tank rolls very smooth when driving straight ahead, but it needs much more power to curve or turn. My models with steel track links use 15 times more current in table turning than in moving straight ahead! With smooth running drives the tank attempts to roll further ahead instead of turning, because instead of turning the model the outer motor pushes the inner motor by its track drive. A worm gear stops this effort, a smooth drive needs support by the ESC. In my ESCs this is realized by a so called flyback diode which shortens the motor in the non-pulse periods. I think that this method can be applied also in ESCs for brushless motors.
kind regards
Gerhard

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

David Merritt wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:22 am
From my understanding of a sensed brushless motor with the sensors connected to the ESC, as the load on the motor changes so the power supplied to the motor changes to try and maintain a constant speed of the motor. This should make loading the tank back into the transportation vehicle a lot easier as for a given stick position you will have a stable speed.
Some of the ESC for brushless motors can be set to provide what is called "drag brake force " which should slow the vehicle down when the stick is in the centred position. I would hope that the new Armortek drive system has this as it is a useful fail safe position as without it even on level ground it would take some distance for the vehicle to stop due to inertia if there was a communication failure between the transmitter and receiver and the fail safe conditions were activated.

Regards
David.
Hi David,

from the pics shown here I suppose that these are unsensored BL-Motors.
kind regards
Gerhard

Robert Tanzer
Has liked: 690 times
Been liked: 660 times

Post by Robert Tanzer »

Thanks Armortek.
This is a feast for my eyes.

Robert Tanzer
Sweden

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3007 times

Post by Armortek »

Gerhard Michel wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:08 am
Gerhard, I am not sure how you can see that from the photographs, but the brushless motors we are using have sensors.
Kian
Armortek

Liam Mahoney
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 230 times

Post by Liam Mahoney »

For anyone concerned about the control of brushless motors just watch Benjamin’s video on the VESC?

No you won’t need to know how to program to this level but it is an indication of what is possible, and yes from the 15:45minute mark that is full speed forward to full speed reverse to full stop and you can’t even see the motor stop to reverse.

I along with Paul Sparks have been using brushless for some time now and the difference in performance and drivability is remarkable, smooth and controllable. Yes they are faster but no they do not consume more power, they are the correct solution to kit evolution.

I don’t usually comment but this topic has too much unsupported dialogue, and yes I drive an electric car which is the same technology.

Liam

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Armortek wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:56 pm
Gerhard Michel wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:08 am
Gerhard, I am not sure how you can see that from the photographs, but the brushless motors we are using have sensors.
Kian
Hi Kian,

sorry, but I missed to see the seperate wiring for the sensors.

Sensored BLs in combination with suitable ESCs have additional benefits especially for tank models, of course; e.g. when turning or driving downhill. Such a driving concept gains advantage over all previous concepts, I mean, because it comes closest to a mechanical steering superposition gear.
kind regards
Gerhard

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 836 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Of course I recognize the power of a brushless motor motor but I can't help but think of a Le Rhône radial engine when I seen some types
of BL motors run...including some smaller ones I have.

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 349 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

Any indication on pricing at this stage? Will the current brushed pack still be available as an option?
If interested in any parts used in my builds contact me at johnfitzsimons@msn.com for a price list.
Items available. See link to forum post.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4770

John Clarke
Been liked: 1614 times

Post by John Clarke »

I do wish that Benjamin would stop grabbing that live rotational device, the future pain can be considerable, trust me I know.

And for all the cleverness of electrickery, unless you have a brake enabled servo drive motor. No power, no brake action!

Don't forget your choc's :lol:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

neil graham
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 209 times

Post by neil graham »

Perhaps a dumb question..... but is this available yet?

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3007 times

Post by Armortek »

Yes - shipping started earlier this week and working through the waiting list.
Armortek

Michael Röder
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Michael Röder »

For which models will the new drive system be available first?

How much will the new system approximately cost?

Wael Hazin
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hi,

What is the max continuous current on this setup say in a high stress environment?

Thanks