Front Axle Short Springs?

Forum for discussion relating to the 1948 - 1950 Series 1 4x4 car
Donald Suttie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 136 times

Front Axle Short Springs?

Post by Donald Suttie »

With the motion pack turning up,it was time to crack on with the build,i see on page 6 on the construction manual that short springs are provided
to reduce lateral movement,so far i have failed to find these springs
and cannot see them in the parts list,anyone else found or used these?

Donald

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 781 times

Re: Front Axle Short Springs?

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi Donald.

Thank you for pointing this out. I hadn't noticed this feature(my fault for not looking closely enough) :roll:

Then I didn't find any odd springs either, would they have been in with the half shafts?

Seems to run Ok. but then I am no expert either.

cheers

Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Front Axle Short Springs?

Post by Donald Suttie »

At least i am not alone,i spotted a few other issues,the Tie Rod in my case is slightly too long which will cause a steering issue further down the build,i take it its just a case of trimming the screwed rod?
the other important issue is the rear axle,if you follow the model build manual,and glue the bearings in,when you come to fit the long shaft you will find it wont fit through the casing nor will it fit through the bearing,i would advise leaving the outer bearings till the very last until you are happy with the fit
in my case i tend to green loctite all the bearings first,if i had done this here i would have ended up having to heat up the casing and bearing for removal,thankfully i did nothing until i had the motion pack to hand
IMG_3435.jpeg
Tie Rod Alignment

Donald