Series 1 26

Forum for discussion relating to the 1948 - 1950 Series 1 4x4 car
Peterfitch

Series 1 26

Post by Peterfitch »

Has anyone encountered the problem that the leading prop shaft is slightly too long. It can be rectified by shortening the male half, but I can’t see anything in the instructions about this.
I also cannot see where the 2 ball bearings 607 ZZ are located. Can anyone advise?

Jeff Poll

Re: Series 1 26

Post by Jeff Poll »

Yes you are not alone in that Peter,I have slightly shortened my propshaft to fit,and also have no idea about the two spare bearings!,regards Jeff.

Peterfitch

Post by Peterfitch »

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I thought I’d made an error somewhere. Thanks.

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

First off - just to say I have changed the title from Land Rover to Series 1.

To answer the points raised:
- with regards to the front drive shaft (ET0501) - it should not need to be reduced in length. If you find you are having to do so, then it is possible that your front axel is mounted too far backwards. Drawing 10 of the manual provides more details on this.

- The 607 bearings were part of an older design on the gearbox - for some reason they got picked up on the BOM for the kit and so they got packed. They are superfluous to the kit and and error on the packing list.
Armortek

Jeff Poll

Post by Jeff Poll »

My problem arose when I tried to fit the driveshaft after the gearbox and axle had been fitted in place,it was roughly 5mm too long to fit in place,had I decided to remove either the axle or gearbox then fitted all at the same time it might have possibly gone in OK,but I decided that shortening was my best and by far the easiest solution,I have just rechecked the axle location and it's within 1mm best I can tell.

Peterfitch

Post by Peterfitch »

While double checking the motor installation I decided to check the gearbox assembly. I noticed that the shaft ETO507 was a very sloppy fit in both bearings 698 2RS. In fact the shaft was not supported at all. (The 2 redundant bearings actually fitted better).
I would have left the shaft the same diameter as the bore of the large gear wheel and made the flat longer.
Until this is resolved I can’t really check the positioning of the driveshaft.
Shaft diameter 0.275”
Bore of bearing 0.310”

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 781 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi Chaps.

Your posts prompted me to have a look, as I am dry fitting prats presently, I am happy with the the fit of the 607z as I to found the other bearings didn't work very well, as bearings. And I've shortened the PTO type shaft a little bit, which is common practice with PTO shafts to fit the implement as required.

Have fun

Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Jeff Poll

Post by Jeff Poll »

I also found the bearings to be a " loose fit", so I machined up some adaptor sleeves to fit-I only remembered the two redundant bearings after I had assembled and loctited the bearings/ adaptor sleeves in place so cannot say for certain if they would have solved the problem.

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

The mystery is solved.
The two bearings used on the gearbox should be 607's and not the 698's.

Drawing RC04 of the Motion Instruction Manual should call for 2 off 607 bearings (it incorrectly says 698)- these have been provided in the main kit.
Armortek