Mick's Churchill (57)

Forum for discussions relating to the Churchill
michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Re: Mick's Churchill (57)

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, a trip to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital eye clinic this morning, feeling much improved....
Yesterday unable to go a day without messing with the Churchill...I tested the elevation and recoil systems. Both working a treat, never in doubt, Armortek at it finest. The Linear Drive is as smooth as silk and a big improvement....love it.
One day Nikolas, I would really like to finish the model in '' Deadpool '' it's the fantasist in me, always been a bit of a dreamer.... wake up mate, time to go......Mick
Attachments
Recoil Elevation.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning men, more or less recovered following my trip to A&E. Spent a couple of hours with my trusty rattle cans, I am using Simonize Acrylic Red Oxide must be the smoothest finish I have ever achieved.
Now for a change, I have the tracks to assemble, anyone noticed how 'clean' today's tracks are.....oh, for the old days....things were different in my day :( Happy New Year you happy breed, this band of brothers, keep safe.....Mick
Attachments
Rear view.JPG
Turret Hull.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, stuck indoors this am, floods on every road inbound....good job I have an all consuming sensible hobby :)
Attachments
Track.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning men, my, what a change in the weather, lovely day so far. Just a trial fit of the tracks...Mick
Attachments
Trial fit of the track
Trial fit of the track
Last edited by michael hilton on Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Intrested to know how you're getting on with the Simoniz paints.

I started buying them as they stuck far better than the Halfords primer.

But I've also had some cans which seemed to have very little pigment in them, even after shaking by hand for several minutes.
I even tried hooking them up to a jigsaw :lol:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good evening Adrian, I came across the Simonize Red Oxide in a small DIY store when the car parts guy, my usual supplier ran out of red oxide. I have used three cans. So far the oxide finish is excellent, covers extremely well. Because the weather is cold I use a hand held hair drier to finish. I have not tried a topcoat yet....Mick
Attachments
Simonize.JPG

David Battson
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 230 times

Post by David Battson »

Hi Mick, Adrian,
It's good to find a primer that sticks well, are you using an etch primer as well or is that direct onto bare metal?
David

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning guys, lovely day here, missed most of the rain yesterday....made a start on the knitting, standing over a hot hull is playing hell on my legs. Fitted the slip ring...then sat down to watch TV.
Hello David, the Simonize primer goes down really well and look great, I do use an etch primer first, I'm not going to say it sticks any better, looks can be deceiving....Mick

PS why is my post timed at 1122am :?
Attachments
Wiring 2.JPG

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

It says at the bottom: "All times are UTC+01:00".

So the Forum is forever in Summer :D

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good evening lads, thanks for that Adrian :) Throughout my long and eventful life I have had this habit..... when the occasion arises..... of cocking things up. I know we all have our moments....I just appear to have more than my fair share :o

To begin....as you will have no doubt seen, I have begun the first install of my motion packs. Not very successfully, but a start nonetheless....enough of this twaddle....the batteries are in the hull and the red boxes laid out. I was peering into the hull at my first efforts when I noticed one of my Spektrum receiver aerial wires ( exposed ) was lying dangerously close to one of the positive connections on my SLA batteries. With shaking hand I slowly grasped the receiver.....now you know what a firework sparkler looks like when first lit.....
I will order a replacement receiver tomorrow......I just hope the motion packs are ok.......Mick

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Sorry to hear that Mick.
"It happens" :( fingers crossed, nothing else cooked. :|
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

> Spektrum receiver aerial wires ( exposed )

BTDT but with a Frsky X8R antenna, which are a length of circuit board with exposed plated through holes. I now cover them with a length og thin clear heatshrink tubing. Once bitten...

There wasn't any damage done to the tank but I replaced the receiver just to be sure, as it might have only been operating on one antenna.

Adrian.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone and thank you John, Adrian for your replies. Hopefully i will not make that mistake again. I have tried to resuscitate my receiver, to no avail.....R I P my friend.
I decided to decamp the batteries, red boxes, etc, back into my workshop to await the new receiver ( ordered ), and have a review/reset, . The latest Rx looks to have the much shorter aerials already covered, anyhow I will check.....of course.....Mick
Attachments
Reset Bench test.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning men, just a quick update....Spektrum receiver arrived this morning....tested....all is well. I guess the original receiver '' took one for the boys''.
Need a sit down and a cup of tea....it's a simple learning issue, and on both my other models I have taped over the battery terminals....older, but non the wiser :? ...Mick
Attachments
New Receiver.JPG
Last edited by michael hilton on Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Glad it was just the receiver.
Vince