Forum for discussions relating to the Churchill
Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Re: Mick's Churchill (57)

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Hi Michael
Following along quietly.
Lost count. Is this the fifth model you are building?
looking outside Autumn is coming...
so jealous

Vince

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 818 times

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning Vince, the Churchill will be Armortek kit number ten, and fourteen happy years building these excellent models. My interest in the hobby began with a Keil Craft model towline glider kit called the 'Chief', around 1950. Far to many kits, scratch builds etc, to name or remember. All part of the enjoyment....worth every penny...and, there are no pockets in a shroud :wink: ....Mick

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

10th Armortek kit. WOW.

Vince

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good evening lads, the garage is not so warm today, managed to lay down a coat of red oxide on some suspension parts. I paired up the axles and pivots so I am trying to keep them matched.
Watching a speedway meeting on TV at the moment, a fan of this type of motorcycle racing for many a long year...
Tomorrow my granddaughter and my unruly great grandsons will arrive to test my patience....love them really :) Mick
Attachments
Undercoat.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning ladies and gentlemen, it is misty outside at the moment however, stand by your beds, the weather is set fair to improve, there you go, must be due to climate change...
The assembly shop is in full flow, but because of the weight I have had to use my sack truck to move the hull into the paint shop. Needs must, once the suspension units are fitted it will be to late....Mick
Attachments
Assembly shop.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, just to say my thoughts are with Kian, Monique and family, and their sadness this last week. Our pets are so much part of our lives, always one of the Family.

The lovely warm weather has seen lots of action in the paint shop...spray dust everywhere. I think this is the colour I am looking for, seems to change as I move from garage to assembly room (third bedroom).....Mick
Attachments
First coat applied
First coat applied
topcoat 2.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good afternoon chaps, glorious weather for hanging out the washing and....a line of parts to be painted, one down one to go. Epic Militaria spray paint, Olive Drab, RAL 6014.....Mick
Attachments
Paint 2.JPG
Paint 4.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, as builders of Armortek models well know, they ain't half heavy.....so where needs must, a change of location was called for. The hull is now sat on a solid oak dining table.
Once the suspension units are built in my workshop, they can be fitted to the hull. All makes for an easy move, in the Spring, into the garage....job done....Mick
Attachments
Relocation.JPG
Sus Build 1.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning each, awful day weatherwise....never mind. Spent a week fitting the suspension units, my poor little digits are dropping off.
With the side panners attached to the main hull I tried locating the units....that was difficult. So, decided to remove said painners and go thataway....much easier.
Once again these kits are so therapeutic...while away the hours....have a nice day... Mick :)
Attachments
Arm plates.JPG
Arm Plate.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning lads, completed the painner build...they are now attached to the hull...also turned the heating off.... we are in for a warm weekend weatherwise...fingers crossed....Mick.
Attachments
Hull Panniers.JPG
Tools adapted to assit fit those hidden nuts ????
Tools adapted to assit fit those hidden nuts ????

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Mick
Love your builds .
I especially like the modifications to the tools :wink:

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning gentlemen, it's warm outside...we are having the local roads resurfaced...what a palarver. Just a note regarding tyre adhesives and the fitting there of. I have always used heavy duty double sided tape, that said, my models are mostly grounded...The tape currently used is Mammoth Power Grip, ulimate grip strength,bonds almost anything, outdoor and indoor use. 12mm x 2.5 metre length. No mess goes on easily....your choice. :)

Thank you Derek. you would not have known this, I followd your Comet build way back in the day....and bit the bullet buying my first Armortek Kit. Never looked back....have a nice weekend.... Mick
Attachments
Tyres.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good afternoon lads, wow what a day wind and rain all over the place, not as severe as some, stay safe. Made a start on the sprocket drive and in between one side of the tracks. Some of the track pins needed persuading.....Mick.
Attachments
Sprocket Drive.JPG

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Mick
Looking good a lot of progress keeps the grey matter ticking over planning these builds .

Regards Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good evening lads, this is the part I really enjoy..The Bench Test. Read the instructions, follow the diagrams, set up the transmitter, plug each unit ( red box) into the receiver using the correct lead....bingo.
The Churchill engine sound is fab-u-lous....as loud as I dare go. Love the ''We'll meet again'' sigh. The three position switch was a bind, could not remember how I programmed the radio last time...good job I saved the diagram instructions from Kian. I believe, this is a 'first' in my bench testing, without asking for help, took a long while.
The trick now is to transfer the motion pack into the Churchill without losing the setup....Mick
Attachments
Bench Test 6.JPG
Bench Test 2.JPG