What Ampere hour battery are you using for your KT?

Forum for discussion relating to the King Tiger
Mark Allen
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 70 times

What Ampere hour battery are you using for your KT?

Post by Mark Allen »

Starting to think about building the battery pack up for my KT. Im finding a gap in A/H ratings of cells. Not finding much of anything between 25A/h and 50A/h.

What ratings are you using and how much "average" run time are you experiencing?
1:6 King Tiger. 1:1 White M3A1 Scout car, Ford GPW, Dodge WC-57 Command Car, Ford GTB, CJV-35/U, Willys MB, Willys M38.

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 149 times

Re: What Ampere hour battery are you using for your KT?

Post by Paul Sparkes »

24v lifepo4 36ah in the JT and we get around 3 days of good run time.
I’d say get a 24v 20ah lifepo4 it’s what I will do in a smaller space tank.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.

See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Thank you! Space isnt much of a concern, I could fit 70A/h pack in it if it was really needed, but all that weight added isnt helpful. And seriously about an hour of driving it and I will loose interest... Possibly getting more interested in an adult beverage.
1:6 King Tiger. 1:1 White M3A1 Scout car, Ford GPW, Dodge WC-57 Command Car, Ford GTB, CJV-35/U, Willys MB, Willys M38.

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

I'm using 20 Ah to 40 Ah in my tanks. 40 Ah was my first LiFe battery, and that is a little too much for normal driving. Only a 'field mission' over a whole day may cause a discharge rate of more than 70 %. So my newer (and a little smaller) models like Jagdpanther and Pz IV use only 20 Ah.

Power consumption in a tank is extremely depending of the kind of using the tank and of its operational area. My non-AT king tiger (160 kg) uses 4 to 7 amps driving straight forward on plane hard floor and up to 65 amps when tableturning in high and rough grass (with rooting out the grass by the steel track links).
kind regards
Gerhard

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I believe it's useful to keep in mind the capacities of the basic infrastructure of our models' wiring.

The XT60 type connector is intended to handle 60 amps and peak, very momentary, much higher depending on wire gauge used. I take the
momentary part as being extremely momentary, like never and the 60 amp norm as something I will do my best to avoid.
I use 30 amp fuses to watch over the main drives when adding controls between battery and main power module. I'd rather have a dead
tank than a burned out tank.

The XT60 connector is soldered to wire usually, I've not seen crimped versions and solder joints can weaken when the load is too high.
I'm cautious, perhaps overly so but I maintain an active, healthy fear-admiration view of the batteries we use.

I also try to use good quality silicone rubber insulated wire whenever I have to make wiring additions as it stands up to heat better as
well as being quite flexible.

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Gerhard Michel
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

An important hint, I mean. I'm using only XT90 connectors and wires with 10 to 4 mm² (10 mm² from battery to ESC and 4 mm² to the motor connectors)
kind regards
Gerhard

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

I work for one of the largest connector and interconnect companies. We make super flexible silicone jacketed wires (high temp). The AWG 12 is rated at 78 amps (at 40C). At nearly 20 USD a foot it is expensive for most. Employees get a serious break. I will probably only use it on the really high current stuff.

Also decided for the initial build, I will use Lead/Acid batteries. Just a whole lot easier while getting everything and and working. 22A/h are about 35 USD each here. No BMS, fires or telemetry to deal with initially. Can be run flat (shouldnt though). Can rescue with a battery jump. And my 1:1 Military vehicles are 24V and at the same places at the same times so available to jump and charge.

This way the adventure with LiFePO power can be addressed on its own after all else is working and bedded in.

Jerry Carducci

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Gerhard Michel wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:15 pm
An important hint, I mean. I'm using only XT90 connectors and wires with 10 to 4 mm² (10 mm² from battery to ESC and 4 mm² to the motor connectors)
I agree with you Gerhard however the stock connectors on the modules and wiring harnesses that are XT types are XT60. Make no mistake,
I believe these to be completely up to the tasks at hand; we just need to know their limits and work within them.

jerry

Jerry Carducci

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Jerry Carducci wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 pm
Gerhard Michel wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:15 pm
I agree with you Gerhard however the stock connectors on the modules and wiring harnesses that are XT types are XT60. Make no mistake,
I believe these to be completely up to the tasks at hand; we just need to know their limits and work within them.

Having strayed off topic I have to say I want to believe 20-30 Ah packs should provide enough run time for most of us.
jerry