Noob lift table question

Forum for Armortek Owners to Meet, chat and share knowledge. You are advised to check 'official advice' before carrying out any modifications.
Eric Reinhard1
Been liked: 5 times

Noob lift table question

Post by Eric Reinhard1 »

Hello all from the USA (Middle Tennessee)! Future owner of what will probably be my only Armortek tank, a Leopard 2A4. I’m reading through the knowledge base and starting to gather what (I think) I’ll need for the build and operation. Read with interest the “lazy susan” thread and starting to shop for a hydraulic lift cart and here’s my question. What would be the best or adequate size of the platform to handle this size model? My goal would be to have the tank fairly centered on the platform for construction/maintenance/transport. It’s not tank hull width but length I’m thinking about. With a hull approximately 60”(?) long and typical platform length of 32”, I would think I’ll need to lower or bend the push handle back to keep tank centered and maintain clearance while raising/lower platform and avoid potential balance/tipping issues.

Am I overthinking this? Your advice/experience is appreciated

Michael Allen
Has liked: 993 times
Been liked: 79 times

Re: Noob lift table question

Post by Michael Allen »

Eric

I am building (very slowly) a KT and concentrated on the weight tolerance of my platform lift - settled for 300kg.

Table/platform dimensions are 815mm x 500mm

I then bolted 18mm MDF 1500mm x 600mm to the platform.

I have had the hull on this for a number of months with no issues at all.

Hope that helps

Mick

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Eric

I basically have the same set up as Michael and have built
10 models including the Famo so far no issue at all.

Regards Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

I'm currently using a dog grooming bed, but it has a weight limit of 100kg, so only of use up to medium sized tanks.

Do people build their own fixed support for these lifting tables or do they come with them ?
I have a couple and both sink under their own weight after a couple of days.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi guys,

I also have to use a lifting table, but I additional have to use a turntable upon the lifting table to adjust the tank's direction for parking and for leaving the basement. This turntable is also helpful when working at the model. Ball bearings at the turntable allow an easy changing of the direction also with the model on board. To leave the basement upon ramps I had to increase the total height of the lifting table.

The upper plate with the ball bearings:

My Jagdpanther upon the table:

And now along the way to the ramps:

Rotated through 90° and ready for leaving the basement:

kind regards
Gerhard

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Michael Allen wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:09 am
Eric

I am building (very slowly) a KT and concentrated on the weight tolerance of my platform lift - settled for 300kg.

Table/platform dimensions are 815mm x 500mm

I then bolted 18mm MDF 1500mm x 600mm to the platform.

I have had the hull on this for a number of months with no issues at all.

Hope that helps

Mick
This is exactly how I started off until my Jagdtiger became too heavy and decided it wanted to depart from the lift table, I then got a larger table which is a lot more stable. I was lucky it didn't come right off and hurt me.

Paul
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.

See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Daniel Scholefield
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 228 times

Post by Daniel Scholefield »

This is my Mark IV on the 200kg lift table / trolley I bought when I realised it was going to be too heavy to lift any more, been no issue ever since. There is some overhang but it's long enough to cope with one of the longer Armortek kits.
IMG_20160507_165858.jpg
Mark IV No. 35 aka. L9 Lightning III
Hetzer No 28

Aaron Taylor
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Aaron Taylor »

I use two saw horses from home depot and a 1.5 in thick laminated board my pershing sits on a motorcycle jack with some foam on top. If I need to lower my tank I use my chain hoist under the work top lift it remove the saw horses lower down then I can drive it off when it's done. Or I can use a ramp to drive it off. The laminated pine top has held up no issues. Laminated osb would work too. If i need to move around i get my parts and just go to the other side.......the bearings are cool though ill admit......The beast you are building I'm not sure how but maybe this helps some i work on cars etc and don't want my garage cluttered with tables saw horses move easy and hold a lot.... I need to work on vehicles inside due to the heat of the mojave desert.

Aaron Taylor

Post by Aaron Taylor »

And my lord those are some big tanks you guys got

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Post by Steve Norris »

I use a 300 kg lift table that uses a screw thread for lifting and lowering as I found my hydraulic table used to sink over time, I also was a bit concerned about a hose failure leading to sudden collapse. I have mounted a motorcycle lift table on top to allow me to lift the hull clear of the table for wheel and suspension installation and motor/track testing.
Motorcycle lift table raised to support the hull
Motorcycle lift table raised to support the hull
MDF surrounds the motorcycle lift table so that when lowered it is a flat surface and also provides some grip to prevent the tracks sliding
MDF surrounds the motorcycle lift table so that when lowered it is a flat surface and also provides some grip to prevent the tracks sliding
Regards
Steve

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

" .....Future owner of what will probably be my only Armortek tank....."

Now where have I heard that before....we need to keep posting things like that for the benefit of significant others and other
interested parties, no?

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

I see a few people using MDF for the top of their lift,i would advise against this and use 16mm or 25mm plywood instead,MDF tends to sag if left in a damp or cold atmosphere
i am tending to find my build is quite slow and the tank is left for lengthy periods on the lift table,the MDF didn't work out for me,nor did the workshop shelf's
if you are lucky enough to have a stable temperature all year round go for MDF,but for me the plywood is the way to go,zero sag

Donald

Aaron Taylor

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Is it allright to let tanks sit on the tracks with torsion bar suspension???? Will they loose spring after a while? Should I leave it on the motorbike jack?

Marco Peter
Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 585 times

Post by Marco Peter »

Aaron Taylor wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:10 am
Is it allright to let tanks sit on the tracks with torsion bar suspension???? Will they loose spring after a while? Should I leave it on the motorbike jack?
Motorbike jack for me on all my tanks.
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

Gerhard Michel
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Modified hydraulic car jacks for my tanks............

kind regards
Gerhard