Hetzer sprockets / locking bush issue

Forum for discussion relating to the Hetzer (Jagdpanzer 38)
Daniel Scholefield
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 228 times

Re: Hetzer sprockets / locking bush issue

Post by Daniel Scholefield »

A postscript to all the issues I had with the Hetzer. Tankfest was a blast and the bushes held after an initial failure, What happened next was three days of frequent running that caused a lot of stuff to come loose. This included one of the idlers and the track tensioner on one side. This in turn led to a thrown track on the Saturday which I was able to re-fit. What I hadn't noticed was the wear on my drive sprockets. It's pretty obvious now I look at the pictures I took but it wasn't until I got home and was warned to check them that the full damage became apparent. To put it bluntly the drive teeth were virtually destroyed on one side and merely very badly damaged on the other, how it kept running is a marvel. Now I freely admit my track setup with the wonky idler and variable track tension contributed to the damage as did my 'enthusiastic' driving but the end result is I will need new sprocket plates. Also means the sprockets have to come off and the saga with the bushes will begin again.
PXL_20230627_202604938.jpg
PXL_20230627_202549826.jpg
I have been in touch with Kian and he indicated that on top of my 'abuse' the material for the sprockets may be on the soft side for the purpose so there is the prospect of steel replacements, watch this space.
Mark IV No. 35 aka. L9 Lightning III
Hetzer No 28

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 953 times
Been liked: 2022 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Liam Mahoney is on top of it. I haven’t built my hetzer but I anticipated the sprocket issue after seeing Dave M’s.

liam@lsm.net.au

Good luck!

Liam Mahoney
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 230 times

Post by Liam Mahoney »

Thanks Brian, yes I have 8 sets instock ready to send.

Liam

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Liam
I am interested in a set of sprockets and an email
sent.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Liam Mahoney
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 230 times

Post by Liam Mahoney »

Morning all
I am cleaning out the workshop and have 3 sets of drive sprocket left in anyone is interested.

Thanks
Liam

Daniel Scholefield

Damage assessment now the sprockets are apart. Laid on top of their steel replacements are my tortured drive sprockets just to show the extent of the damage incurred at Tankfest.
PXL_20230928_145557333.jpg
Having taken both these and the idlers apart I found the root cause of my track tension issues. On one side the retaining screw was missing so the idler kept sliding on the shaft, on the other the tensioner turned out to be installed by me in reverse (don't ask) so it was doing nothing. Rookie mistakes I can now fix :-)
Hetzer No 28

Daniel Scholefield

Inspired by Tony Devlin I got my Hetzer back on the lift and fixed all the issues that it had. The destroyed Aluminium sprockets were replaced by the steel replacements and thanks to my version of Chris Fry's resistance tool I was able to get the locking bushes, the bane of my life last time on with little issue.
hetz.jpg
Test runs today went smoothly and just some tensioning of the tracks (the tensioner being something else I fixed) needs to be done. The side skirts, exhaust and the Armorpax MG mount got added and I fixed the issue I had with the servos and recoil mechansim that I had at Tankfest.

All being well it will get a thorough run out this weekend.
Hetzer No 28