Transmitter and receiver recommendations

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
Matti Kurki
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 6 times

Transmitter and receiver recommendations

Post by Matti Kurki »

Hi

I’m currently building a Panther G #17 with option packs, and now it would be an ideal time to test all the bells and whistles. Anyhow, I have a problem with determining which r/c system to get.
I have had both r/c cars and planes is past, but it was years ago and I really don’t have much experience with modern radio systems.

Please let me know which way to go.

BR, Matti
PAK 40 | Panther G 2022 #17

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Re: Transmitter and receiver recommendations

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Armortek has done research with some of the current systems available; I believe one of the last systems they used was the Taranis
FrSky Taranis x9D plus. A good solid system that I've used as well quite a bit. I changed mine, both of them, to OpenTx OS as the toolset and flexibility is very useful. This system can support telemetry which is usewful for monitoring battery state, I have yet to implement that.

Lately I've moved on to the FrSky x20S and x20HD system running their proprietary ETHOS OS;. I've read ETHOS was in part
developed by the same group that headed up the OpenTx project. I wanted the X20 series as they support FrSky's latest technology, dual band
communication on 2,4Ghz and 900Mhz. Of course these fully support telemetry, and multiple component connection protocols.

The x20XD supports on-screen video feed (FPV) from your model. The x20 series have a great touch screen interface.

The latest crop of RC systems are so far removed from what was available even 10 years ago it can make you dizzy

But then again I love gadgets!

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Matti Kurki

Re: Transmitter and receiver recommendationsse

Post by Matti Kurki »

Thank you Jerry

These new radios are completely different than the ones I’ve been using. I really like all the programming and telemetry possibilities.
Just checked some online videos of the Tandem XE. If I can find it locally, I may have found what I’m looking for.

BR, Matti

Jerry Carducci

Post by Jerry Carducci »

The XE is a ‘tray radio’ format there tend to be more popular in Europe than the us. I have an XE as well.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Matti Kurki

Post by Matti Kurki »

Jerry Carducci wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:50 pm
The XE is a ‘tray radio’ format there tend to be more popular in Europe than the us. I have an XE as well.
Hi Jerry

Which receiver, power supplies and chargers would you recommend to get with the XE, or should I be patient and wait for the XE Pro pack to get published?

BR, Matti

Jerry Carducci

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Matti Kurki wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:38 pm
Jerry Carducci wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:50 pm
Hi Jerry

Which receiver, power supplies and chargers would you recommend to get with the XE, or should I be patient and wait for the XE Pro pack to get published?

BR, Matti
Hi Matti,

I did forget to mention in my PM that I don't really know what the XE Pro will offer over the regular XE. It seems FrSky is also going to offer a X20Pro version as well. On the Horusrc site there's a description of the X20Pro but none as yet for the XEPro. Looking at the explanation of the X20Pro (https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-tandem-x20-pro.html) I'm not sure what it would offer me... So if the changes for the XEPro are similar, well....?

The XE is a 'Tandem' capable system so the possibilities for receivers are fairly extensive. To get the benefit of the Tandem ability, 2,4Ghz and 900Mhz bands you'd need something like the receiver I'm using for the X20HD system:
the FrSky TDR10 receiver. I believe this receiver has enough capabilities for most of our applications.

The XE comes with a 4000Mah LiPo battery but apparently can use a large Mah rated pack but I can't imagine needing one.

I usually let my radios charge on a USB 'hub' charger- a stand alone USB format unit with several USB connections. Just be sure the current rating is at least 2 amps. Otherwise I would recommend a Graupner Polaron for general smaller NiCad, LiPo and LiFePo4 packs.

For the larger packs I would recommend the iCharger 4010Duo, used by others here, but it's pretty expensive and you need a separate power supply for it that's capable of providing sufficient power. I use a 'Mean Well' RSP-2000-48 but there are others that don't require making a an outer case...

Jerry