US Armor & Cavalry Collection, Fort Benning, Georgia - 29/30 April

Forum for discussion and arrangements of meetings
Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

US Armor & Cavalry Collection, Fort Benning, Georgia - 29/30 April

Post by Chris Hall »

This collection of tanks and armoured vehicles, which must be the US equivalent of Bovington, is in the middle of a huge Army Base so it's not often open to the General Public. But it is on 29/30 April, which just happens to be my Birthday weekend, so I've booked myself a little holiday in the USA :shock:.

They've been collecting stuff from all over the US, especially Fort Knox and the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, with a view to preserving and restoring it in one place. The Collection is mainly run by volunteers who, from FaceBook postings, seem a pretty friendly and enthusiastic bunch. Although they haven't got a complete list of the Collection, the highlights for me will be the world's only WW1 Mark V Star, a Centurion 3, a Japanese Naval Ha-Go, any M3's, JagdPanther, JagdTiger, and a Panther II with a late G turret. Anything else will be a bonus - many, many bonuses.

Anyone else intending to be there ? Any chance of a Stateside Amortek meet-up ? It would be great to meet some of the 'Colonial Cousins' .... :-D

And, for a lonely Brit far from home, who hasn't been to the States for about 30 years ...... any tips, or useful advice ?

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 954 times
Been liked: 2024 times

Re: US Armor & Cavalry Collection, Fort Benning, Georgia - 29/30 April

Post by Brian Ostlind »

I would if it was closer :(

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Chris,
As Brian says a little far for us on the Left Coast. If you could swing by the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum in Boston Area. They have the Littlefield Panther A and other great tank displays. Looks like you could book a Chaffee or Sherman driving session!

https://www.americanheritagemuseum.org/

Bob

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

Bob -

It’s literally a flying visit - leaving Heathrow on Thursday and flying home on Monday (a red eye). So, regretfully, no chance for a gallivant around the US. It’s a surprisingly cheap flight on Delta, to Atlanta then a short hop to Columbus.

Perhaps another year …..

Chris

DaveMacri
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by DaveMacri »

Hey Chris, we have a rather large geography here with AT owners really spread out across the land! I don’t know of anyone in the Georgia area with AT build. If you ever fly a non stop out to Denver you have a place to stay and I will pick you up! Provide the armor to run also. As for armor museum nothing really out here and the Government has been consolidating all the collectables to Ft Benning now for past 10 years. If you can score a connection with a retired veteran or active duty you can get in anytime.
No helpful tips for your stay and its ok to drink the water there!
King Tiger, Tiger Early, Tiger Mid,2-Sherman E8's, Stug III, Panzer III, Hetzer, Panther G, M26 Pershing, T34/85

johnny johnson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 34 times

Post by johnny johnson »

Awesome that your coming over, it would be nice if you had more time, we have held our tank meet in a private museum in Virginia, its the AAF Tank museum, definitely worth the visit, never been to the one in Georgia but do want to.

johnny johnson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 34 times

Post by johnny johnson »

If you see someone with an Armortek hat on come say hello!

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

I’ll be wearing my Armortek hat too ! 🤣

graham pipe
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by graham pipe »

If, as Robert suggested earlier in this thread, you were to visit the Collings Foundation Collection, you might also like to go to The Flying Heritage Collection. Here, you would be able to see my old SdKfz7 halftrack which took 7 years to restore from a complete wreck. It was bought by Jacques Littlefield in 2004 and was the basis for Armortek's kit. Mark spent many hours at my West Sussex workshop measuring, photographing and sound sampling the engine/ track noise

I can still continue to see it on Youtube in the walkaround videos and also towing an 88 for their airshow days. Following Jacque's death in 2011, the vehicle was bought by Paul Allen - co founder of Microsoft and owner of the Flying Heritage Collection - for a modest 1.6 million Dollars. If only I had kept it...

It was also the example mastered by Trumpeter for their range of 1/35 th variants - even down to the engine, plumbing and tyre detail.

Shortly, I will upload the history and restoration of this vehicle so all the super detailers out there can accurately replicate its finer points.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Graham
I have seen this machine in person and its truely awesome! I think they label it as a SDKFZ 8 vs 7, but no less spectacular.

Supposedly the FHC is supposed to open again on Memorial Day after being closed for Covid and the passing of Paul Allen. I hope so, it is an amazing collection of vehicles and aircraft.

Best regards,
Bob

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

Well, exactly 2 weeks ago as I write this, things were just about wrapping up at the US Armor & Cavalry Collection open weekend. It's taken me that long, in between catching up on the Real Work backlog :twisted:, to sort out my photos and look back on what was a momentous trip.

I loved every second of it ! The long flights, driving on the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road :wink:, the bizarre signs saying "Do you know where your firearm is ?" :shock: ...... everything. But, apart from the tank collection itself, the best thing was ..... the people. Friendly, kind, and always willing to put themselves out. I made some good friends in just a couple of days. The English accent definitely opens doors !

So, what's the collection like ? Well, as I was constantly asked how it compared to Bovington, I'll answer with that. It's like Bovington was about 30 years ago - a long row of tanks in a big shed. Little signage, and no context - chronological order, showcases with stuff, nothing. But that's hardly surprising, as EVERYONE is a volunteer ! They get no Government, State, or Military funding at all - they even buy their own tools and paint. Given that, I'm in awe of what they've achieved so far. And the only way is Up.

I can't begin to list everything they've got. My personal star was the WW1 Mark 5* - the only one (Jeremy Clarkson voice) In The World. But there was lots of other rare stuff, especially WW2 German, lots of which had been cut open in the 1960's for display and training. But at least it still exists. And, after 80 years outside in Maryland weather, that's amazing in itself.

Yes, it's a long way to go. Some Americans were moaning on Facebook that it's a 4 hour drive, but I met people there who'd driven from New York, Chicago, even California. And, of course, I flew the best part of 5,000 miles each way. It's definitely worth it if you're passionate enough.

As I said above, I've managed to sort all my photos into different directories by nationality and type. If you want copies PM me with your email address and I'll do a WeTransfer - the file will be huge ! And I focussed on the things that interested me (for which I make no apology) - I'm not really bothered after about 1955, and there was lots of that.

A very special, once-in-a-lifetime, trip. But, as they made me an Official Volunteer on the second day, when I was allowed to officially nerd about tanks, and I got to see all the bits the public don't see (which they call the Boneyard) ....... I'm already planning my next visit. Yes, it really was that good !

And, while I was there, I met up with Johnny Johnson ! "Caps across the ocean" - our Armortek caps certainly stood out.

Johnny's the good looking one on the left
Johnny's the good looking one on the left

Many, many thanks, Georgia, USA !

Best wishes,

Chris

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

As a sort-of postscript to this event I've just discovered that, since 11 May 2023, Fort Benning has been renamed as Fort Moore :?.

It's all part of the US drive to eradicate any trace of the Confederacy, which is sadly deemed racist in these politically-correct days :cry:. It apparently cost $5 Million to change all the sign boards, advertising etc. But everything else, especially the location and the Tank Collection, is the same.

Makes my Fort Benning Visitors Pass a valuable memento ! I'll just have to remember to call the place by its new name when I go next year (yes, I'm planning to return - it was that good :D).

All the best,

Chris