Taking the strain out of installing torsion bars

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
David Battson
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 230 times

Taking the strain out of installing torsion bars

Post by David Battson »

Looking at the suspension builds on recent Panther posts reminded me of the difficulties I experienced and wondered if the following would be of interest to anyone wrestling with installing the ‘fixed end’ torsion bar.

On my build, the fixed end of the torsion bars were a very close fit in the holes in the suspension blocks and as a result, the end of the bars needed to be perfectly aligned before they could be pushed into the holes. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, except that the torsion bar is longer than the gap between the two opposing suspension blocks. So whilst one end of the bar requires extreme precision to get it in the hole, the other end requires brute force to bend it clear of the opposing suspension block – not a happy combination and after much scratching of paint and knuckles I thought there must be an easier way.

My approach was to use some scrap pieces to make up a holder to take the strain out of bending the bar and making it easy to insert the fixed end into the suspension block. The tool made installing the bars a much more civilised affair and especially useful on a Jagdpanther where access to the inside is much more restricted by the taller glacis and pannier sides.

David
fitting tool.JPG
tool with bar.JPG
torsion bar install.JPG

Riny Koks
Has liked: 851 times
Been liked: 93 times

Re: Taking the strain out of installing torsion bars

Post by Riny Koks »

David,

I would never dare to bend the torsion bars this much however, if it works for u then it is ok.
I would mount one suspension bar to the floor, put all the fixed torsion bars into it included all the parts needed. Then do the same with the other suspension bar which is still loose and jighle the 2 parts togheter.
This is also time consuming and a work with a curse, but no bending of the torsion bars which could end with a definitive bend in 1 or more torsion bars.
Just loose connections to start, get everything aligned and then mount it definittive.

Just my thoughts.

Riny
2019 M3 Lee #25
2022 Panther G #6
2014 Sd Kfz 7 #6
Pak 43, Flak 36
Bailey Bridge + Extension

Steve Cope
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi David

I am picking up my Panther hopefully next week, so new to the Armortec tank build, could yo let me know if this is something that would benefit me, if so is it something I need to manufacture myself or do you sell them?

Many thanks

Steve

David Battson
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 230 times

Post by David Battson »

Hi Steve,
Welcome to Armortek tank building. Hope you enjoy your Panther, looking it over at the open day it seems to be a very nice kit .
I really wouldn't worry about things at the moment, I suggest you get the kit, dry build the relevant parts and then see how easy/hard you find adding the fixed end torsion bars. If you find it difficult, my alternative is always there if need be. All I can say is it made things really easy for my Jagdpanther build where the fighting compartment superstructure makes access difficult.
Whilst it didn't suit my build sequence, Riny suggests a good alternative which is to install the fixed end torsion bars to the suspension beams before assembling the hull.

Hi Riny,
I agree the bend does look a bit extreme when held like that and initially I was worried that it may cause a permanent bend. I progressively increased the bend in stages, releasing it each time to see if the was any damage, pleased to say it always sprang back to straight.

David

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 954 times
Been liked: 2023 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Steve Cope wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:53 pm
Hi David

I am picking up my Panther hopefully next week, so new to the Armortec tank build, could yo let me know if this is something that would benefit me, if so is it something I need to manufacture myself or do you sell them?

Many thanks

Steve

You shouldn’t need to do this at all. If you install the torsion bars before building the hull it goes together without a hassle.