2022 new build JP part 5

Forum for discussion relating to the Jagdpanther
graham pipe
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 144 times

2022 new build JP part 5

Post by graham pipe »

Decals and the inspiration for this build

Hi all. Have just acquired a set of waterslide decals for this model from Peddinghaus in Germany. They are for tank number 314 from Schwere Panzerjager Abt. 654 which saw brief action in the eastern part of Normandy in July/August 1944 before retreating across the Seine around Rouen. These can be bought (along with similar 1/6 scale decals for Panthers of various units) direct from Peddinghaus or via e-Bay Germany.

Not sure how they would sit on zimmerit but, as my JP is modelled on an example just issued from the factory when this anti magnetic mine coating had been discontinued, they will be just fine on the smooth hull surfaces.

As mentioned in previous posts, up until 2014 I operated a restoration business concentrating solely on Wehrmacht vehicles and it was my privilege to have been involved with the restoration of the UK's Weald Foundation Jagdpanther back in 2003 -2004.

This tank was recovered in the 1980's from the Pirbright firing ranges having been a hard target for many years. It was a MIAG built vehicle finished just as the war ended when it was brought back to the UK along with 12 or so Panthers for evaluation. The latter were built from unfinished hulls and spares stock in 1945 by the British Army's R.E.M.E. aided by factory workers lured back with the promise of post war work.

Following extrication from the ranges, this tank was bought by a German collector who eventually sold it to Mike Gibb of the Weald Foundation along with a hideously shot-up JP which was essentially a blown apart hulk in 2 parts.

Attached are some shots of the project's start which you can click on to enlarge. Many more to follow but, as it's New Year's Eve 2022, one must go prepare for the celebrations... Wishing you all a happy and safe 2023.

Regards from a stormy Normandy.
Attachments
Jagdpanther #314, Normandy 1944
Jagdpanther #314, Normandy 1944
Shell casing decals
Shell casing decals
Not much left of this poor fellow!!
Not much left of this poor fellow!!
16.jpg
15.jpg
14.jpg
13.jpg