So ... what exactly is a 1950 Series 4x4 car ?

Forum for discussion relating to the 1948 - 1950 Series 1 4x4 car
Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

So ... what exactly is a 1950 Series 4x4 car ?

Post by Chris Hall »

There's already been some heated discussion on this new release - and it was only announced last night ! :shock:

Firstly, I think there's a very, very important point to make, in order to protect our main 1/6 scale model crack supplier :wink:. Read the title very, very carefully. While the initial CAD drawings may, at first glance, show a superficial resemblance to a particular historical vehicle, we should avoid any reference to what that vehicle might possibly be (for Copyright and Intellectual Property reasons). We don't want someone else issuing Cease and Desist Notices, do we ?

We can regard the late 1940's as the real start of the '4x4 car' movement, that is still with us today (whether you like them or not - personally I do, very, very much). 70 years ago they were pretty rough and ready, but formed a basis for development by a number of companies that have, quite literraly, changed the World.

How so ? For those of you interested in this model, I would suggest that you move away from the usual military sphere. Vehicles like this model definitely had military applications (starting in Korea 1950-53), but I would suggest that they have much more interest in their civilian guises, especially:

Emergency services. There's loads of conversion potential for fire engines, accident recovery vehicles, mountain rescue ..... the model car producers, like Dinky, Corgi and Matchbox, have been selling them like hot cakes for years.

Exploration and Expeditions. This is where I think the real potential lies. It's no exaggeration to say that vehicles like this opened up the previously inaccessible parts of our planet - Africa, South America, East Asia. They were able to push through previously impenetrable jungles, swamps, mountains, deserts and rivers - whether or not you think that's a Good Thing, it happened. And such vehicles, and their descendents, are still vital tools in such areas today - for farmers, resource explorers, humanitarian aid .....

So let your imagination roam - and start reading books ! There are loads out there, and the stories of those early adventurers are inspiring.

This could well be the first non-military model that Armortek has produced, so it deserves to be welcomed as a new departure for the company, hopefully attracting a new market base. If any company doesn't continually try to attract new customers it will die - simple as that. And we don't want that, do we ? It's by expanding the market that we'll get our 88mm guns and JagdPanthers that some people think is the only reason for Armortek's existence .... :roll:

I'm going to watch the development of this one with interest (as will my wife ! :lol:). The price point looks good for this day and age, although there's always the add-ons. I'll be interested to see how the 4x4 drive system develops, and where the motor, auxiliary packs and batteries are going to go. And I hope there are a range of options - hard tops (with or without windows), truck cabs, fabric tilts, or just an open back.

And yes, if I eventually jump, I already have a plan ...... indeed two plans (#clue).

Give it a chance, people !

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Re: So ... what exactly is a 1950 Series 4x4 car ?

Post by John Clarke »

I'm sure Armortek will have done the due diligences,
The only instance I know of in the modelling world where the original company took the hump on a scale model was the Sar33 by Robbe, which had to be removed from the shelfs a few months after it came out. Usually it doesn't get that far.
Some changes had been made to it, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a...
I've got two of the said ducks. very rare and fantastic on the water.

My mates a full scale off roader, and he seems very interested in the series 1 model. New owners, new members.
I think it's a good choice, an inspired choice.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> original company took the hump

The original makers of the last Armoured Car Armortek produced weren't exactly fun to work with. Allegedly.

There's a lot of interest at shows from people who own the 1:1 scale military vehicles, and most seem to want mini-me versions of things they own, so this might be a good introduction to Armortek for people who already own a full sized Series 1.

Most people here will know it's a slippery slope once you've bought one Armortek kit...

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Steve Stuart »

Now there could be a huge number of people who would want a more general purpose vehicle? (An Armortek one would be far more robust...) So this new model could be the harbringer of more, perhaps a Unimog as another possibility. The possibilities and potentials are thought provoking indeed 8) a journey down another track :wink:
Steve

johnny johnson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 34 times

Post by johnny johnson »

What is it? Well for me its a big source of happiness, it brought on a big smile as soon as I read about it, had a LR90 years ago and now I will own a smaller earlier version of it. With this being a military group Im sure thats how a lot will be built, I know mine will be.

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Robert Reid »

Adrian Harris wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:43 pm
> original company took the hump

The original makers of the last Armoured Car Armortek produced weren't exactly fun to work with. Allegedly.

There's a lot of interest at shows from people who own the 1:1 scale military vehicles, and most seem to want mini-me versions of things they own, so this might be a good introduction to Armortek for people who already own a full sized Series 1.

Most people here will know it's a slippery slope once you've bought one Armortek kit...

Adrian.
HI Adrian.

Sorry for my long absence here... just came back to give an update on the Mirbat Gun... and saw the "New Car" which I ordered immediately!

Re the copyright stuff with Rolls-Royce, they were not exactly rapid to get the copyright stuff through, but were not at all bad to work with at all and as Kian can attest, I was in the thick of it having been 'part' of the impetus to build the RR Kit.

I would call out in particluar RR's director of Heritage and history who was all for the project right from the go and was absolutely instrumental in getting things pushed through the system. And while it took their legal department time (and some back and forth) The Company was absolutely supportive and helped with allowing their name to be used on a great product!

So was it a simple phone call? No. But it was handled really well and professionally. And sure would be nice if the 'Other' car company that makes things that look like 4 v 4 cars would follow their lead. Sadly, I lack the same connections with that company as I have with RR. But credit where credit is due, the folks in Brooklands were most professional and accomadating!

Cheers,

Pierce

PS. I've already figured out how to lengthen the 4x4 car slightly as there is an 86" version that became the very first SAS "Pinkie" types. Though were mostly painted green. Does anyone have any doubt that I'll be building one of those? Cheers!

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Robert Reid »

Steve Stuart wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:47 pm
Now there could be a huge number of people who would want a more general purpose vehicle? (An Armortek one would be far more robust...) So this new model could be the harbringer of more, perhaps a Unimog as another possibility. The possibilities and potentials are thought provoking indeed 8) a journey down another track :wink:
Steve
As the owner of a 1970's Unimog 404... ex Swiss Army... I love this idea!

Cheers,

Pierce