New Smoker System

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
JerryBarnes
Been liked: 2 times

New Smoker System

Post by JerryBarnes »

I received the newly designed smoker system. The instructions and wiring diagrams do not seem to refer to the new design. In particular is this strange connector which I’m not able to locate where it goes. There is also no instructions on how the single 15mm T and poly hose is to be used to connect to the Sherman exhaust. Its impossible to find metric fittings in the USA.
F4429119-6A5F-47D8-A2D3-0B539E1925FC.jpeg
Thankyou Jerry
Attachments
8BC3466D-5180-4A9C-80F6-32505E1B8235.jpeg

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Re: New Smoker System

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Jerry B, which metric fittings are you having a difficult time finding? Online you can find just about anything you might need.

Actually in many ways metric hardware is easier to get here than SAE types. For instance I find smaller size metric hex head screws
are easier to get than comparable SAE types...

Jerry C
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

JerryBarnes

Post by JerryBarnes »

I’m talking 15mm copper pipe fittings. Fasteners are no problem.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Jerry

That thing in your photo is not a connector but an electronic component.
test.jpg
test.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
The metal part is the device's heat sink. You should ask Armortek if it should be bolted to the metal chassis or not.

Vince

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

JerryBarnes wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:08 am
I’m talking 15mm copper pipe fittings. Fasteners are no problem.
I believe Amazon or ebay will be your friend in that regard...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

JerryBarnes

Post by JerryBarnes »

Vince Cutajar wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:19 am
Jerry

That thing in your photo is not a connector but an electronic component.

test.jpg

The metal part is the device's heat sink. You should ask Armortek if it should be bolted to the metal chassis or not.

Vince
Thankyou Vince. Kind of interesting in that the other end attaches to the smoker fan and audio box. Hopefully Kian will see this question and help us understand they mystery. Jerry.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

The device takes the signal from the audio module and switches the power to the fan so that its proportional to the engine doeed.

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

JerryBarnes wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:08 pm
Kind of interesting in that the other end attaches to the smoker fan and audio box. Hopefully Kian will see this question and help us understand they mystery. Jerry.
It looks like a MOSFET, basically an electronic switch, the 3 leads being input, output and switching signal. Depending on how hard it is being worked, it will generate heat which could cause damage to its internals so it has the metal flange which itself acts as a heatsink and can also be bolted to a larger metal surface, with or without the use of heat transfer compound, as a bigger heat sink.

The metal flange is directly connectly to the output leg which may or may not be at zero volts. Unless the instructions are to bolt it to the chassis at any convenient point, I would use a cable tie through the hole to secure it such that the flange cannot touch anything.

Mark

JerryBarnes

Post by JerryBarnes »

Thankyou guys, there is no instructions or diagrams regarding what to with this. I’ll leave it exposed to allow heat dispassion.

Didier Molard
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Didier Molard »

Hello
Sorry to "borrow" this post but did not want to open another pot on new smoke system
Do someone knows if there is a reason why the wires are welded on the 2nd serie of spots ?
as they are, they prevent the resistance to be inserted to the end of the brass element .
this makes you lose 1cm of heating element inside the brass "tube" in the end.
is it possible to weld them on the end posts instead ?
DSC_2155r.JPG
DSC_2155r.JPG (496.25 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
DSC_2156r.JPG
DSC_2156r.JPG (520.06 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
regards
Didier

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

These are soldering iron elements, so one set of connections are to power the heating element and the other set are to a built in thermocouple for temperature control feedback.

So, in answer to your question, no, you can't use the other connections.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Adrian has rightly pointed out that you cannot use the other set of connections as they are present for a different purpose.
From me do not even consider fillling the void with thermal paste, (AKA Heatsink compound ) to assist with thermic transfer. That heating element will get hotter than those pastes are rated for

Tom Wittstock
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Tom Wittstock »

Hello Jerry, I'm considering up grading my twin smoker for my King Tiger but not sure yet....Jerry, when your up and running could you post a video showing the new up graded smoker.....Your video will help us all very much.....

Good holidays from Tom Wittstock (Michigan)

Didier Molard
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Didier Molard »

hello
Thank you all for your answers.
so i will try to resize the hole in the brass element for i can fit the resistance a bit more in.

regards
didier

chris fry
Been liked: 217 times

Post by chris fry »

Hello Didier,
I would NOT recommend you making the hole bigger in the brass tube so as to insert the heating element further in to the tube, You are gaining nothing trying to do what you want, There are some VERY high temperatures reached from the heating element/brass tube so you don't want to expose the wiring any closer to that heat source, There is a white heat absorbent material which covers those two red cables, This is to protect the wiring and should not be inserted in to the brass tube, The smoker will generate more than enough smoke with the standard set up so not recommended altering anything.
Best regards, Chris.